Thor's Hammer

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Epyon
Re: Thor's Hammer
July 02, 2003 04:08PM
It's the classic case of comic heroes getting crushed by the weight of their own histories. A character who was in his teens in the 60s, a la Peter Parker, should be in his fifties or sixties now. But Parker is still portrayed as if he's in his young 30s. How do you square that? Worse still are characters whose origins are tied to world events. Tony Stark was in the Vietnam war. How in the world does HE appear to still be in his mid to late 30s??? This is why comic characters have their origins rewritten from time to time--kind of rewriting history to bring characters up to date, I suppose. It's maddening, but who wants to read about heroes who are too old to kick butt anymore?
July 02, 2003 05:02PM
Discrepancies like those are usually buried and lost in time. Wolverine always having claws, for example. There's no real reason to get hung up on them. And it hardly affects new stories.

Though they did do something dumb w/ Iron Man like bringing back in time a younger version of him or some such nonsense.

But Superman JUST had his origin redone by Byrne in Man of Steel a few years back. And I know his series has been restarted a couple of times since due to lagging sales.

Azrael
Pronounced
July 04, 2003 11:11AM
It's Pronounced "Mule Near"

Secret Defender Incorporated
Re: Pronounced
July 05, 2003 03:34PM
I trust that you, Azreal, are not pulling our collective third legs with that pronunciation.

Thank you if you are sincere

;-)
July 10, 2003 07:01AM
SDI, Mule Near is pretty accurate. I'd round the "o" a little bit more than in "mule", but except for that, it's fine.
July 10, 2003 03:09PM
Wasn't Magneto pronounced Mag-NET-o in the old cartoons?

Has Stan Lee or Marvel ever explained the silly hammer's pronounciation?

July 10, 2003 05:31PM
You have NO idea how hard this was to find, even on the internet...

[www.infoplease.com]

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.