Thor's Hammer

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Epyon
Re: Thor's Hammer
June 16, 2003 07:49AM
Actually, I DECREASED some of Mjolnir's powers from how they were listed. I don't think these other powers necessarily make Thor more powerful. They jut make him more versatile.

As for the glasses, did anyone see that issue of THOR when Nick Fury comes up with a new civilian identity for Thor--Sigurd Jarlson? Nick dresses Thor in civvies and a ponytail, then gives him a pair of glasses, saying, "Here, put these cheaters on. They always worked for that other guy." Thor puts on the glasses and then runs into a very clumsy reporter wearing glasses (Clark Kent!), who is accompanied by an attractive female reporter (Lois Lane!). "Klutzy" Kent tumbles to the floor, and as he is helped up by Thor, he thinks, "Hey, was that, isn't that...nah, couldn't be." Hilarious. I think it was Thor # 341, by Walter Simonson.
June 16, 2003 10:35AM
I remember that issue! It was hilarious!
I wish Simonson still wrote Thor!

Post Edited (06-16-03 12:28)

Improvision, not rote responses, is what seperates a Warrior from a WeaponsMaster- Drizzt Do'urden
Epyon
June 16, 2003 02:06PM
Is that Dark Elf as in Malekith the Accursed (one of Simonson's creations), or just Dark Elf as in Drow? :bounce:

Shame Simonson killed off Malekith... he was a great villain. I thought that issue of Thor when Malekith transforms into a beautiful woman and seduces Eric Willis, guardian of the casket of ancient winters, was one of the most chilling and sinister portrayals of pure villainy ever seen. Anyone remember that issue? In female form, Malekith's dark hair is flowing around the panels like a mass of serpentine tendrils, and "she" has rendered Eric totally helpless with her erotic presence. And then "she" says something like "You want to kiss me, don't you, Eric." (Eric: "Yes. Yes, Angel. I want to. I must kiss you.") "But first you will tell me where you have hidden the casket of ancient winters." ("Yes. Yes I will tell you. I could never keep any secrets from you.") "And then we shall kiss and you will taste forbidden pleasures men have only dreamed of. And your soul will be mine... forever." Eric tells her all, and then "she" kisses Eric, who turns into a wasted husk. Malekith may not have been as intimidating a presence as the Kingpin, Doom or Magneto, but ahhhhhhh, what a deliciously evil being he was!

Simonson's run is the definitive Thor. No one else comes close.
June 16, 2003 04:13PM

Hear hear!

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
June 16, 2003 10:09PM
You Name the Drow...I Like em! Drizzt,Zak,Jarlaxle,Malekith,Kurse!
Remember "Woe to those who stand between Malekith and His Goal!"
Simonson's run was the Best Thor by far and away. Issues 349-353 are unbelieveable!The Battle with Hela,Midgard Serpent......I could go on and on.

Post Edited (06-16-03 22:35)

Improvision, not rote responses, is what seperates a Warrior from a WeaponsMaster- Drizzt Do'urden
Epyon
June 17, 2003 07:54AM
"Woe those... who stand between Malekith and his goal!" Yes, one of the best lines in a comic, ever. That comic was incredibly memorable--like I said, one of the most chilling and sinister portrayals of villainy ever seen in comicdom.

While the issues of Thor you mention WERE great, I thought the best issues of Thor written by Simonson was the two part journey into Hel to save the souls of the mortals who had tasted the faerie food (Thor #361 and 362). I will never forget the sight of Hela destroying Thor's face with her hand of glory, only to meet defeat when Thor threatens to destroy her cloak (speaking of which, does anyone remember how Thor's face was repaired?). Then Nanna, Balder's deceased wife, reveals to Thor that she pretended to be a creature of Hel in order that Balder would stay in Asgard instead of joining her in death. She then makes him promise not to tell Balder what she has just revealed. That scene just broke my heart. And then, finally, in the next issue, the great confrontation between Thor and the Einherjar vs. the forces of Hel, with the Executioner sacrificing his life to seal the heroes' escape. What a saga! Worthy of the songs written by the ancient skalds, indeed. Simonson absolutely outdid himself there. IMHO, those two issues are not only the best issues ever of Thor, they are among the best issues of comics, ever.
June 17, 2003 09:18AM
Those 2 issues were 2 of the best ever:)
I couldn't believe it when she basically ripped his face off!
Loved the pic of him ripping the cape! I don't know when his face healed. I remember he had that beard to hide the scars. The only complaint I have about the whole run is that I wish WS drew #382!the ish when Thor fought The Midgard Serpant was great too.

Epyon
June 17, 2003 09:27AM
Ah, yes. I remember the issue when he fights Jormundgandr... it was called "Mjolnir's Song." Every page was a full splash panel. What an epic battle. I loved it when Thor, defying the serpent's prediction that Thor would not dare unleash his full power since doing so would obliterate both Jormungand and Thor, declares that "heroes... heroes have an infinite capacity for stupidity!!!" He then destroys Jormungand and reduces his own body to gelatin.
June 17, 2003 12:42PM
*Blink*Blink*

Okay, how did he recover from that?

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
June 17, 2003 01:00PM
His Spirit went into The Destroyer. Much to the dismay of Hela!! And the Frost Giants!

Epyon
June 17, 2003 01:36PM
To supplement, Thor's spirt took over the form of the Destroyer, and he then went down into Hel to seek retribution against Hela, who had previously cursed Thor with brittle bones and robbed him of his ability to die (this is why being reduced to a gelatin as a result of his battle with the Midgard Serpent did not kill Thor). Feigning total loss of control (the Destroyer's nihilistic tendencies take over all the strongest of minds), Thor proceeded to ravage Hel and threatened to kill Hela herself. In an act of desperation, Hela recalled Thor's gelatinous body to her side and used it as a shield against the Destroyer. Hela then restored Thor's inert body to full health, intending to try and reason with Thor's psyche and save her life in exchange for mercy from the Destroyer. Thor, however, was always in control of the Destroyer; once Hela restored his original body to health, he quickly wrested it from Hela and transferred his consciousness back into it. I'm not doing the story justice, but it was a fitting climax to Simonson's run on Thor.
June 17, 2003 01:44PM
Epyon,

You get the "Knows More about Thor than ANYONE" Award!!
I thought I knew alot about him!!:bow:
Impressive!!

Epyon
June 17, 2003 02:51PM
Only with regard to the Simonson era. I stopped reading Thor shortly after that.
June 18, 2003 01:45AM
A god having godlike powers is alot more beleavable than an alien having godlike powers.

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
June 30, 2003 08:47AM
About the pronounciation of Mjolinir:

If you want it Icelandic (well, pretty much), go for Myoolneer, with a long, rounded "oo", like in "Luke". No English "j":s and no "y":s in the middle or end.

The Swedish name for the thing is Mjolner, which is pretty much the same, only with the really weird vowel "o", whick is a bit similar to the vowel in "bird".

How did Superman come into this? It's a tic, with you DC haters, isn't it? No matter what the subject, you can always get Superman into it?

It's like what they say about homophobes, right?

You know you're dying for it, you just have to admit it to yourselves...
July 02, 2003 12:59AM
LOL

While I think that is funny as hell, I'd disagree that I need superman. I only react to what thers say. Someone brings up Mr. Hides Behind F'in Glasses and I go off like a roman candle.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
July 02, 2003 05:58AM
Okey, the glasses are stupid, I'll give you that. I think the difference between us is that I don't mind superhero comics being stupid. I like stupid.

It makes me feel clever.
Secret Defender Incorporated
The Glasses
July 02, 2003 09:52AM
Mark Waid has written a 12 issue maxi-series ( I think it is 12) for DC and it is the "updated" origin story of Superman. In a promo piece, Waid explains that he will make the glasses "make sense".

SDI
Re: The Glasses
July 02, 2003 12:55PM
We bash Superman because it is fun and easy. When you have a corny character with a dumd disquise it should be expected.

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
Re: The Glasses
July 02, 2003 03:42PM
Comics then were written for children. Mocking them is not very difficult.

Why does he need another origin?
How many times have they restarted his series?

Marvel's no better. I'm tired of all these first issues and scrapping the old issue #'s. Unless of course it's time for an anniversary issue, like FF "500." It's annoying when you try to look for back issues these days.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.