My Thor

Posted by Warlock 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: My Thor
May 22, 2003 03:37AM
Hardy-har-har. :)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
May 22, 2003 03:38AM
No, this is a God. Not some alien whose entire race just happens to have these abilities. This is a God.

An explanation that works.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
May 22, 2003 05:47AM
Yes, I get your point.

I knew it was a really cheap shot... :)
May 22, 2003 12:09PM
I agree if your gonna tag a character with the title deity then you better damn well make sure he is one, same goes with the herald of Galactus title.
I even beefed up Snowbird though I am not sure what she is the deity of.

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
May 22, 2003 12:43PM
God characters, hmmm?

Would this happen to include Storm, since she's somewhat considered to be a goddess in Africa...? :)
May 22, 2003 01:20PM
Sure it could. If you give a similar boost to Daniel Dravot of 'The Man Who Would Be King'. There's being called a God, and then there's being a God.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
May 22, 2003 02:03PM
No Storm may have been considered a god, but she wasn't a deity she was just a mutant. ( Unless you count the time Loki gave her a hammer like Thors and he was gonna make her the queen of Asgaurd).

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
May 22, 2003 07:21PM
This is the Warlockverse! Be creative! :) a god is a god, if the entity has worship! :)
May 23, 2003 01:39AM
a god is a god no matter what. A rose by any other name.....
Besides the norse gods are still worshipped today just not as wide spread and mainstream as the religions that now dominate the world.

May 23, 2003 03:31AM

Besides the norse gods are still worshipped today just not as wide spread and mainstream as the religions that now dominate the world.
Still worshipped? More like worshipped again. There's quite a gap between the mediavel remnants of the early religion and the neo-pagans of today. Say 500 years of no serious worship.

If the worshippers of today are entirely serious is another matter -- the ones I've spoken to seem to consider Thor more of a symbol for power and old stuff, than as an actual God who will smite you if you don't show proper respect.
May 23, 2003 11:42AM
No, they were worshipped, just not in public. Although Scandanavia was perhap the area least affected by witch hysteria, announcing yourself a pagan was tantamount to hanging yourself, except slower.

Jesus Saves! The rest of you take damage.
May 23, 2003 12:07PM
The question wasn't how he was worshipped it was was he worshipped. And he has been for quite some time. I have a strong intrest in the occult and have subjects on several religions some going back many many moons. I have several books on the norse gods and their worship. As for the gap in time of worship, I'll let you in on a secret, Just cause you don't hear or see it doesn't mean it's not there.

May 23, 2003 02:24PM
Well, since I am from the area you so proudly put forth as an example of extended worship of Norse gods, allow me to let you in on secret: Nope, no Thor-worshipping for a very long time. At least not any our historians and theologians know about. No rumours either, and no folklore. Sorry, I think your theories may be just a little off.

500 years was an exaggeration though. Nothing to speak of for 200 or 300 years is probably more true (Nothing at all is another matter, I'll give you that -- there may have been a tosser or two around).

Even our neo-pagans admit that they're not part of an unbroken tradition.

So there! ;-)
May 23, 2003 03:12PM
Depends on who you ask. Some still do, I've talked to a few. Really, though it is just single families carrying on a traditional lifestyle more than an organized movement. They are rare cases. Most people who do now use it as a metaphor more than an actual diety. It's a different kind of thing.
May 24, 2003 12:58AM
Sorry i will have to beg to differ but beleave what you want i aint getting into a religous debate on an rpg sight.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.