Graviton & Black Holes

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Kaz
Re: Graviton & Black Holes
February 13, 2003 08:21PM
Touché. :bow:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 14, 2003 08:19AM
What we need is a good acronym: Terribly Intense Gravity Well, Coming Close To, But Not In Any Way Equal To A Black Hole, So There --> TIGWCCTBNIAWETABHST

Hmm, still too long...
February 14, 2003 12:07PM
I believe that there is a single word in the Welsh language similiar to that acronym. Wait, that is a Welsh word; it means " Quantum Physics Geek".

SDI
warhammer
February 23, 2003 04:10AM
actually, mini black holes are black holes which have formed with less stellar mass than the normal black holes,(usually from immense stellar explosions and collisions or left over form the big bang) and while their actual gravitational constant , ie gravity, is the same as their massive conterparts, their range of effect is much less. for example, the gravity well of a supermassive black hole reaches out farther into space than the gravity well on a mini black hole, even though their actual gravity is the same. so a mini black hole formed inside a person would have effect according to the range of the gravity well associated with it. if it was a amall enough mass, it may do nothing more than tunnel through the persons body, leaving a microscopic trail but doing little real damage, but larger masses with larger ranges would "eat" more.

no, graviton could not, baring his gaining a cosmic cube or some such, create a black hole, even a micro, as he would have to be simulating the gravitional mass of a planet at the least. but he could implode an opponet if you wish to be very nasty!

on a side note, black holes evaporate by releasing hawking radiation, and the smaller the black hole, the faster they evaporate.

of course, i could be wrong...
February 23, 2003 10:47AM
>>>but he could implode an opponet if you wish to be very nasty!<<<

Well, yes, that's what I've been asking about/getting at all along... but how is he making people implode if he's not creating miniatiruzed, short-lived, pseudo-black holes inside someone?

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
xmanalb
Re: Graviton &amp; Black Holes
February 23, 2003 08:24PM
Forget Graviton. Xorn is more interesting.
February 23, 2003 10:24PM
heeheehee, yeeesss....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Kaz
February 23, 2003 11:29PM
[snip] Well, yes, that's what I've been asking about/getting at all along... but how is he making people implode if he's not creating miniatiruzed, short-lived, pseudo-black holes inside someone? [/snip]

Because a black hole is a very specific thing. You could easily just make a "gravity point" inside someone at his Shift-Y intensity. Any body that can't resist Shift-Y gravity would implode. It wouldn't be a black hole because its escape velocity would be less than lightspeed but it would do exactly what you propose anyway. It's just how you want to phrase it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 24, 2003 02:00AM
Again I ask why you'd want to give anyone an insta-death power? Wouldn't be much fun would it?

DG X(

Marvel > DC
February 24, 2003 06:17AM
It wouldn't have be more of an insta-death power than Torch's Unearthly Fire generation. It would cause damage, that's all, the amount depending on the level of gravity control. Anyone damage resistant enough would survive, if the GM interpreted the power in a reasonable way.

Sure, ordinary people would just go SCHLUMPF! and collapse into a bloody pulp, but those people would just plain be burnt to crisps by the Torch.
February 24, 2003 09:52PM
Warlock -- you read much of the Thunderbolts comic? Graviton was one of their main baddies, and in issues #56, he took out the Redeemers (a sort of 'secondary' Thunderbolts) quite easily. He killed Beetle (a gal named Leila, wife to The Ringer) by crushing her armor (with her in it) down tot he size of a soda can. And while I am aware one appearance does not an established ability make (as seen in Secret Wars, with Hulk holding up a mountain, or in the ish of Defenders where Hercules pulled the atypically buoyant island of Manhattan through the far-too-narrow Verrazano Narrows), it's a step in the right direction. Besides, like Last said, it's no more 'instant death' then Human Torch's Un/100 fire blasts, or a Mn/75 punch from Thing, if it's a normal mook being subjected to it.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Re: Graviton &amp;amp; Black Holes
September 19, 2003 01:51AM
Bump<------>pmuB (eloh kcalb eht fo edis rehto eht nO)

:)
Re: Graviton &amp;amp;amp; Black Holes
September 19, 2003 08:16AM
Actually Humble, I think it would regress to B at the other end of the black hole depending on the gravity difference between the entrace and exit of the black hole. Either that or it would regress to beta upsilon mu pi, or cuniform.

&quot;You have heard of the apple that astonished Paris?
This is the nostril of the ant that inhaled the universe.&quot;
re: revisiting 'settled' arguments.
September 19, 2003 12:33PM
It's amusing that you bump this, but I worry that people will not read the entire thread and just a couple of posts. I just re-read through this and found it quite annoying that people would argue over arguments already settled.
I probably find it annoying because I am the one who brought up some good points and had people ignore them by arguing later the same things I brought up.

Point? I had mentioned that we should call them "gravity wells" instead of "Mini-black holes" to better match the validity and the concept. It was replied to and agreed upon.
Then someone else later got all in a huff that the term "black hole" did not fit and that we should be calling them "gravity wells".

In a similar fashion someone mentioned that we had used the phrase "mini-black hole" to refer to weak and not to physical size. Then later someone got upset again about this.

All I ask is that people read through and try not to bring up arguments that have been settled.

For those interested in implementing this in your campaign, feel free to read my first post. Graviton & Gravity Wells
The only things not determined are area of effect, and duration. My guess would be a small range (to match other such powers in the game) and an instant (1 action or 1 turn) duration.
A similar power would be like the Nova Blast from Human Torch. It only does full damage to the imediate area, then less for additional areas. I would recommend a similar treatment.

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)
re: revisiting 'settled' arguments.
September 19, 2003 06:42PM
Oh yeah, well I bet it wouldn't affect Magical True Invulnerability. :hot:

March 17, 2004 08:31PM
I believe I did indeed say TI could protect someone from the "Black Hole in Your Intestines" maneuver. ;-)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
March 18, 2004 02:41AM
As long as it wasnt a "magickal" black hole..hehehe *Goes and hides while waiting for the fireworks to start*
Johnny1
March 20, 2004 10:55AM
As an aside to all who read this particular entry: This is all theoretical phenomena - including black holes.
:yawn:
March 29, 2004 01:10AM
Johnny1 wrote:

> As an aside to all who read this particular entry: This is all
> theoretical phenomena - including black holes.
> :yawn:

Explain please. Are you saying that black holes might not exist at all?

Re: Graviton &amp;amp;amp; Black Holes
March 29, 2004 05:49AM
No offense, but there are a few things wrong with your post.
One: It's on a comic book site, meaning nothing here is factual.
Second: Gravity does exist and strong gravity does indeed hurt. This thread involved moving that gravity to a location above your feet so that instead of being pulled downwards, you are pulled in multiple directions at the same time. Those directions being towards your own center to enhance the pain factor, aka RPG damage rank. The terminology was also discussed within this thread to be correctly termed as a type of "Gravity Well." It was also discussed that "Black Hole" was more fun to say.

I just want to mention again that this is a comic book site. We have discussions about people that can lift/throw cars. Fly faster than light. Grow at will to 50 plus feet tall. etc. Practically everything here is a theoretical phenomena.

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.