Graviton & Black Holes

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Graviton & _Gravity_Wells_
February 12, 2003 10:44AM
There's a force-field power stunt to make a small bubble inside someone and expand it. I'm sure you could do similar with this. Except of expanding out, you collapse in. Do power stunt damage (not sure if power rank penalty).
It would probably inflict force damage to internals. Body armor would not be effective, but Body Resist, TI, Resistance to Physical Attacks would. Force Fields would also be effective as you need to get through them first. If you have a high internal material strength that may act as a resistance as well.

Instead of it being a black hole, I think he would more create a gravity well. Similar effect, but a much weaker scale. This may help when discussing it. Graviton can create a gravity well, but Living Tribunal can create a black hole. One a bullet can't leave, the other light can't.

If you have an early warning system (Spidey sense) then maybe you could dodge. Graviton still needs to place the gravity well. If you did dodge it, you could be sucked back into it though.

For my example, let's give Graviton a -2cs to damage for this Gravity Well. He will inflict UN (100) force damage to a single target. He could also make everyone in that area (1 area for argument's sake, but it would probably affect a larger area.) get sucked to it with UN strength. Even if the target dodges, they may still get sucked to it. This would inflict damage to buildings, pavement, and anthing else nearby. If you're lucky you'll end up on top of a crushed car and other debri. Then you would just be pinned with UN strength. A smaller object you'd still bend around the gravity well and take damage.
I think the effect would be similar to being at the bottom of the ocean. Tons of pressure can crush stuff.
Re: Graviton & Black Holes
February 12, 2003 11:22AM
Heh, I had no idea my simple question would spawn such lengthy discussion...

( and, yes, the Endurance FEAT to resist is D&D-ish -- the inspiration for this was from the D&D 3E spell Implosion, which essentially creates a mini-black hole inside someone for a fraction of a fraction of a second. ))

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Kaz
February 12, 2003 11:38AM
[snip] Kaz, when you say "crossing the event horizon" do you mean actually entering it, or do you mean passing in front or behind it? If you don't actually enter the event horizon, wouldn't you still be visible? [/snip]

Actually entering it. If you don't enter it you are still visible and can technically get away from it, but when approach it the light that is travelling away from you towards an observer begins to redshift besides just slowing down. A certain amount of visible photons would have their wavelengths stretched into infra-red, microwaves, etc. Truth be told, I don't think an observer will ever see you truly disappear, even when you actually do. You would appear to "freeze" at some point, like in my description of the frozen star. At any rate, it would look weird. You really can't trust images you form in your mind's eye when it comes to black holes.

I agree completely with Last. Graviton doesn't have anywhere near the power level to make a real black hole, but since comic books are fiction I think it would be a cool name for the affect anyway. I wouldn't allow him to bypass to many defenses. External body armor like Iron Man and that is about it. Considering that he has Shift-Y I doubt he will need to bypass defenses against players. He can outright kill basically any Spiderman level person and down.

I wonder if Marvel toyed with the idea of making a Magneto knock-off for all the fundamental forces of nature? Graviton is blatantly Magneto with a coat of paint, except that he actually has a higher power level. I can see it now: "Feel the wrath of 'Weak Nuclear Force Guy'!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 12, 2003 11:41AM
I am not knocking Magneto, but is it possible that Gravity control is superior to Magnetic Control?
Ultimately, doesn't the force of Gravity rule all energy? Can it not "bend" or even prevent sound, light, electro-magnetism, and atomic fusion?

S.Discovery Channel.I
February 12, 2003 01:02PM
Kaz -- Graviton did do that, sort of. He teamed up with Zzzax (representing electromagnetism), Half-Life (representing the Weak Nuclear Force), and Quantum (Strong Nuclear Force), and named his group "The Fundamental Four" (if I'm recalling correctly). They dind't last too long....

And if you want to see what someone would look like who CAN control all four Fundamental Forces -- look at my own creatrion, Dr. Kambranex! [www.classicmarvel.com]

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Epyon
February 12, 2003 01:30PM
I remember that story. It was lame... Half-Life had the power to cause accelerated aging (her powers had nothing to do with weak nuclear force) while Quantum had the power to replicate himself, although this was later changed to teleportation (in any case, his powers had nothing to do with strong nuclear force).
February 12, 2003 02:41PM
Quantum's powers did center around the Strong Nuclear Force -- since the SNF is what holds protons & neutrons together to form the nuclei of atoms, his teleportation is described as him essnetially disintegrating himself and reforming himself elsewhere. His super-strength, -endurance, and body resistance are reflected in his atoms being held at their closest 'density'. His replication was described as him teleporting so fast an "after-image" was seen (not unlike the Picard Maneuver from that episode of ST:TNG)

As for Half-Life -- Grav said she was the closest thing he could get to a Weak Nuclear Force person. Though why he didn't get the Radioactive Man (since the WNF is seen in nuclear decay/radiation) is beyond me...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Epyon
February 12, 2003 03:36PM
I stand corrected on Quantum. Good point on Radioactive Man. Which reminds me: the U-Foes member named X-Ray is described as being able to project "hard radiation." What the heck is "hard radiation?"
February 12, 2003 03:49PM
It's a fancy term for X-Rays (and sometimes Microwaves), i.e. the kind of radiations that's really damaging. "Soft Radiation," on the other tentacle, includes things like radio & television waves.

(( Most x-ray beams are polyenergetic and as they pass through matter, the lower energy photons are absorbed (removed) from the beam, whereas the higher energy photons are less affected. The energy spectrum of the beam will shift to higher energies. This effect is called beam hardening because the higher the energy of the radiation, the "harder" it is said to be. Hard radiation consists therefore, of photons at the upper end of the energy spectrum. ))

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Metaphysician
February 12, 2003 09:06PM
Lots weaker people can make a black hole. Red Shift did it.

Living Tribunal doesn't make black holes; he makes universes go *poof*.
Kaz
February 12, 2003 11:29PM
Well...they shouldn't have let Red Shift do it :) . We wizened fanboys (and grrls) are capable of overlooking such acts for the greater good. Seriously, a real black hole would involve gravity easily in the Class range. Since Red Shift only has Monstrous control over gravity I think we need to overlook it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
February 13, 2003 04:46AM
MIC_Rules: A power stunt is the right way to go with it! And -2 CS seems about right for damage. Much better than straight Shift-Y, in my opinion.

Metaphysician: Allowing someone with monstrous gravity control like Red Shift to produce black holes means that the black holes in your gaming universe must be something very different in nature from those in the real world.

Nothing wrong with that though. This is comic book physics -- you can allow anything if it makes for a better story. Super heroes are physically impossible in themselves.

Personally, however, I see no reason to NOT use a simple gravity well in this case.
February 13, 2003 05:42AM
I think allowing someone with less Cosmic Entity status to control a Black Hole no matter how small, is a little rediculous.

Forget the instant death aspect and how overpowered that is, just think of what would happen to the surrounding area. Even if just for a milisecond it would do massive damage to everything in the surrouding area (a very large area).

DG X(

Marvel > DC
February 13, 2003 07:03AM
Godzilla's Thermo-Nuclear Death-Breath should leave the lands around him an irradiated wasteland, butt hey don't...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 13, 2003 07:24AM
A radioactive blast and a black hole are like comparing a spit wad with a nuclear missile.

I mean if it doesn't bother you then go for it, for me it's just a little too much for a mere mortal to summon, much less contain.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
February 13, 2003 08:53AM
I wasn't comparing the 2 (well, dind't mean to), just commenting that Big g's breath doesn't leave any fallout radiation, so the "mini-black hole inside omeone for a picosecond" trick needn't neccessairly affect anything outside the poor mook, either.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 13, 2003 11:13AM
I think that it would be a CL3000 ability to create a black hole. Light travels at CL3000 speeds in the UPB. With CL5000 being listed as 100x the speed of light. I think that it would be a Gravity Well until CL3000 strength, then it would be a Black Hole. At that rank light would no longer be able to leave it, so it would be dark.

For those upset/confused on terms. When speaking of a "Mini Black Hole" the term is intended to mean a weak black hole. It is not meant to say that one is physically smaller than another. (I typed this last part because I know there's some nerd-trekkie yelling at the screen about this.)

Oh, I never meant that Living Tribunal did create Black Holes. Only that he could. I needed to use a pre-defined character with power-levels at the CL3/5K range.

I like this topic.
February 13, 2003 02:15PM
Ah, yes, thank you, MIC -- yes, by "Mini-Black Hole", I have indeed been meaning a 'weak' Black Hole, NOT a 'true' one. Yes, I am fully aware a True Black Hole would be a C3000-intensity... thing... or non-thing... whatever.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Kaz
February 13, 2003 03:16PM
Yeah, but nothing is a black hole until it has the gravity to prevent light from escaping. If light travels in the Class range then a black hole by definition has to at least match light. So the difference between a weak hole and a strone one would be, like, CL3000 vs. CL5000. Anything that would have, say, Unearthly gravity couldn't be a black hole.

February 13, 2003 06:08PM
Yes, but "Mini-Black Hole" is easier (and quicker) to say than "Miniscule Intense Gravimetric Well Resembling a Singularity in Effect but Not in Intensity"... ;)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.