New X-Men (esp. #136)

Posted by Dr Archeville 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New X-Men (esp. #136)
February 08, 2003 03:48PM
Anyone else been keeping up with this title? It was known simply as X-Men, but got the new title about a year and a half ago.

The latest storyline centers on a new group of Xavier's students, who've banded together as "The Omega Gang" under the leadereship of Quentin Quire, aka Kid Omega, an "Omega-level" Telepath (which I'm guessing means he rivals Xavier in power, though certainly not in experience). This lil' punk seems to have taken up Magneto's banner of Mutant superiority, driven over the brink by (a) the murder of mutant fashion designer Jumbo Carnation and (b) Kick, a new drug that enhances a user's mutant powers five-fold but has the nasty side effect of inducing megalomania and rotting the user's X-gene, killing them. Kid Omega's crew -- Glob Herman (big guy with transparent skin & organs and a "jelly grip"), Radian (projects light blasts), Redneck (a good ol' boy with radiant hands), and Tattoo (a woman with chameleonic skin) -- have already killed the gang of human punks who murdered Carnation, but don't intend to stop there.

The Omega Gang's "colors" consist of sturdy black boots, blue jeans, a long-sleeved button-up white shirt with a red-and-black striped sweater-vest over it, and a quasi-mohawk hairdo.

The X-Men -- consisting of Professor X, Best, Emma Frost (with her new diamond skin power), Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Xorn (a Chinese mutant with healing powers and a star in his head) -- are dealing with both the Omega Gang and the PR problems of being "outed" Mutants. Oh, and Cyclops is having an affair with Emma, though thus far they've kept it solely 'in their minds.' Anyway, in an attempt to ease human/mutant relations, Xavier plans to open his school to humans during an even called Open Day.

Oh, there's also a "remedial class" of Mutants at Xavier's, consisting of Angel (a bitchy black moth-girl), Basilisk (big lug with one eye that can fire paralyzing rays), Beak (a scrawny bird boy lacking in self-confidence), Dummy (a girl with a body of gas kept in a modified SCUBA suit), Ernst (a young girl with super-strength, who looks like a lil' old lady), and Martha Johansson (a mutant brain-in-a-jar that has some anti-grav generators hooked to it allowing her to fly). They're currently out in the woods with Xorn on a camping trip, but are found by the U-Men.

The U-Men, one of the few interesting things in the last few issues, are a group or Mutant organ hunters (i.e. they hunt & collect the organs of Mutants for the purpose of implanting them into themselves and gaining Mutant powers, thus making themselves 'purer' than either Homo sapiens or Homo sapiens superior). They also all wear SCUBA-like gear and breathe only purified air, believing the soil & air of the world to be too "tainted" for them.

Anyway, on to the point of this ramblin' re-cap -- it seems the Omega Gang is planning a riot at Xavier's school, to be held during Open Day, where they plan to kill all the humans. Not only were they able to hide this from Xavier, but they were also able to take out Xavier right before the riot started... BY WAITING FOR HIM BEHIND A DOOR AND HITTING HIM IN THE HEAD WITH A BASEBALL BAT!!! (They then plopped a helmet on his head, based on Magneto's telepathy-proof technology he'd incorporated into his own helm, preventing Xavier from "thinking out of" the helmet.)

Thoughts? Comments? More rants?

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Re: New X-Men (esp. #136)
February 08, 2003 05:44PM
... Man, X-Men comics have changed so much since the last time I read them.

*sweatdrop*
February 08, 2003 06:17PM
yeah, they even killed off a character by shooting her in the head -- Darkstar, the Darkforce-Manipulating Russian heroine, had been mind-controlled (along with several other people in a subway car) by "Weapon XIII," an altered Mutant whose mind was like a virus, infecting & assimilating others into it. She was shot in the head & killed, along with several other of the mind-controlled mooks, in the ensuing chaos.

The entire island nation of Genosha got killed off in this comic, to -- all 15 million mutants there, including Magneto. Mangeto will most likely make a comeback, though.

They've been killing off alot of X-People lately -- Apocalypse, Darkstar, Magneto, Psylocke, Sinister, possibly Dazzler. And these new punks coming in, like "The Omega Gang," are just... well... *shakes head*

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 08, 2003 07:01PM
Psylocke's not dead. She just realised how annoying it would be sharing a comic with Gambit and Rogue (she had one of her long-forgotten precog flashes and foresaw the Cajun's arrival), and faked her own death to get out (I mean, no matter how superhuman Vargas' physical abilities - she's one of the dozen or so most skilled martial artists in the Marvel universe and an alpha-class telekinetic besides). Then she released the Shadow King to cover her tracks (because yes, she is that unscrupulous), took the opportunity to turn her telekinesis back into telepathy, and then headed up to the Savage Land to work on her tan and write her autobiography.

If I go on saying it, it'll be true.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
February 08, 2003 08:18PM
LOL Praise be to Wal Lace the Prescient!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 09, 2003 04:16AM
Ahhh! Apocalyse and Sinister are dead too?! And Magneto?

... Jeez, why not just kill off the whole Marvel Universe again? :lol:
February 10, 2003 06:58AM
Yes. I collect New X-Men. It is not our father's X-Men, that's for sure.

Morrison is an extremely liberal fellow and Marvel lets him do just about whatever he wants right now because it is he who is responsible for the good sales of New X-Men.

If you want an example of what Morrison would LIKE to do with the X-Men, track down THE FILTH limited series under the DC Vertigo line. It has been out since late summer 2002. It is down and dirty.

I am soooo looking forward to the issue when Jean discovers (as if she hasn't already figured it out!) that Emma and Scott have been playing the psychic's version of hide the sausauge. I really do not know what Jean (with her Phoenix powers getting more potent) will do.

SDI
Darth Malice
February 24, 2003 05:31AM
I haven't read any comic books in a long time. I only keep up as I play the MSH game. I can't imagine why they would kill off some of the most powerful villains. Especially since Apoc is immortal. Maybe the crack rock has become very popular around the Marvel table.
February 24, 2003 06:28AM
As long as the next X-Men villain isn't a Spidey-dressed-up-as-the-bombastic-bag-man-possessed-by-Onslaught, Make Mine Marvel!
February 24, 2003 07:41AM
The Bombastic Bag Man? That's not too shabby! I could use him for my campaign.

Stats please! But skip the Spidey/Onslaught thing. Just the Bag Man!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.