Spider-Man's Reason

Posted by Michael Davis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Warlock
Re: Thor
January 19, 2002 08:22PM
Well as far as I know Thor IS the current Lord of Asgard at the moment. I don't get the comic and haven't for years, but O do go to Marvel.com quite often and I saw an article for a storyline that was taking place and it said basically "llok at the new ruler of Asgard. The pic showed Thor sitting on the throne looking regal with Baldur, Sif and Heimdall(sp?) standing around him. Sounded to me like they were saying that Thor was taking over. I could be wrong.

And Peter Parker doesn't deserve a higher intelligence than Shadowcat? I think that is taking your common man can do anything bit a little to far. And for the hundreth time I NEVER SAID YOU HAVE TO BA EINSTIEN TO DISCOVER WEB SLINGERS. But you do have to havre a bare minumum level of intelligence. I believe that what Peter has been shown doing in the comics is above something that a Excellent reason can acount for. So why don't I say this, you keep saying that inspiration is the be all end all of the invention process and we will just agree to disagree.

DG :bounce:
Meanstreak
January 19, 2002 08:57PM
Thank you Warlock. Thor is the current ruler, wallace is wrong. How about that mate? Odin is missing in the last book I read. Later, Meanstreak.
January 20, 2002 10:56AM
Okay, we're going by the comics. I don't read Thor, so it seems probable that you are right and I am wrong on that detail. However, I maintain that Thor is not especially smart (humanity has had some pretty damn stupid rulers historically), and I say again that his current score is not stupid, just average (unless you're doing a ludicrously overpowered campaign).
One other thing. Intentional or not, 'How about that, mate?' sounds vicious. I'm not here to argue, fight or whatever, just to discuss. You made your point; don't get petty.
Meanstreak
January 20, 2002 03:21PM
Petty? What? You maintain that Thor isn't smart, okay, whatever. He is smart, just maybe not in a 21st century hip sense. He's a character who's been alive for thousands of years, fought demons, vanquised giants, defended the weak, and protected the Earth. He's smart from an arcane, mythological, otherwordly sense of the word rather than if he's up on what a dvd is or what's Britney's latest album is, but hell, I don't even know that. That's what I'm talkin about. Later, Meanstreak.
January 20, 2002 03:33PM
Hey, I am talking in terms of mythology, your coming from knowledge of the comics. In a mythological sense, he's no idiot, but he almost never thinks about things. The closest he gets to cunning is asking Thialfi for advice, and he's so impetuous he seldom even stops for that. It's widely accepted in the mythology that he's the most slow-witted of the Asgardians, but also the strongest and most dangerous. Yeah, he's been alive for thousands of years, and he has experience. That doesn't make him a genius. He knows a lot of stuff (personally I reckon all characters over 200 should have the 'History' talent due to first-hand experience), but age doesn't increase your intelligence. Be satisfied that he could kick the @#$%& of absolutely any hero up to Hercules in a knock-down, drag-out fight, and has about six different major superpowers.
I'm hoping this is still a discussion, and not an argument. Of course, you're welcome to any house rules and adjustments you like, and it is perfectly possible that the Thor of Marvel comics, after over a thousand years of further experience, has managed to get himself some kind of mystical intelligence boost as well as an electric razor and a bleach job.
Meanstreak
January 20, 2002 03:43PM
Of course Mr. Wallace I'm talkin about the comics. This very site were in is dedicated to an RPG that derived from the characters of Marvel Comics. If you're talkin about the Thor from printed mythological books, yeah, he wasn't at the top of the class, but who cares? As a character who was plucked from mythology and molded into a hero of comic proportions, he had to ease from one medium to another to make him readable. If we went with the Thor from mythology, he'd have red-hair and wear gold chain mail armor, and he'd be goin around all the time lookin for butts to kick. I see your point, but in game terms, I still stand by my original idea in saying that the comic-book Thor deserves EX(20) Reason and not TY(6) Reason. Nuff Said, Thanks, Meanstreak.
Warlock
January 20, 2002 07:44PM
I say that if Thor deserves Ex. then Spiderman deserves Rem. at least. ANd while I agree that even in the comics Thor is impetuous and bullheaded but those two things are Roleplaying aspects of the chracters and have nothing to do with the stats. This is the porblem I believe I was having with Drax, you can't take roleplaying attributes and use them to model stats. The FASERIP stats are as they are and aren't (and shouldn't) be mixed with other factors to determine power levels. While you can use impetuousness or inspiration to spur characters on to greater heights I don't think you can use them to limit characters abilities. Stats are apples and roleplaying descriptors are oranges. In short intangibles shouldn't affect the characters stats but rather be used as a basis for how to roleplay those stats.

.02$
DG :bounce:

P.S. It is none of my business so tell me to butt out if desired, but I do believe that Meanstreak you are getting a little "ha, ha I'm a winner and your a loser". You are right IMHO but lets let people keep their dignity even if they are completely and totally 100% wrong (little zinger wal lace, no harm intended). We all just know how fast things can break down into flame fests. So if everybody just agrees with me then there will bo no problems. BOW TO MY WILL PUNY MORTA........oops there I go again. ;)
January 20, 2002 08:00PM
It's a democracy, I'm a minority, this is a forum. Like I said, I'm wrong on the comic-book Thor. I don't take it personal.
Meanstreak
January 21, 2002 10:21PM
As one who I've seen start and participate in his share of many flame-fests Warlock, I'm telling you to butt out. You said I could. Yes this is a forum, and yes were entitled to our opinions, but sometimes some of these guys are just plain wrong, and you and I know it. No offense, mortal(oops).
moonrazor
January 26, 2002 08:47AM
It seems as though I started something with my comments about Thor.
Granted, he has Typical Reason, for a human. But the average Asgardian is smarter than that.
In addition to the way Thor acts in comics (he comes up with decent battle plans, recognizes the handiwork of villains such as the role the Beyonder played in Kurse's strength, and historically has been adept enough with Marvel technology to fly a Quinjet to another planet while powering the thing with his hammer,) I also think it doesn't make much sense for him to have Mjolnir if he's dumber than everyone else in Asgard.
Think about it. Which would you be most likely to give to somebody who you thought was stupid - a knife or an Uzi? If Thor was really as dumb as he is (in comparison - remember that the average Asgardian is smarter than the average human) do you think Odin would cavlierly give him the most powerful weapon in Asgard's history, this side of the Destroyer? I think instead he'd give him something that would help him in a fight, but wasn't capable of so many other things as well.
Incidentally, I would like to point out that, in the Judge's book, Hercules is also listed as having a Good Reason. I think Thor should at least be as smart as that.
While I'm on Thor and Hercules, I think the Body Armor stats for both of them as presented in the Judge's book are far too low, also. For my money, they should be Remarkable at least. If you remember in the 80s when John Byrne was writing the comic, the Hulk went on a rampage in New Mexico, and Hercules, along with Wonder Man, Iron Man and Namor, tried to stop him. Though much of the fight between Hercules and the Hulk was off-panel, Hercules didn't seem too injured when Doc Samson showed up. He didn't even look like he'd broken a sweat.
Likewise, I've seen Thor have what looked to be LAW-type rockets explode into him, and it didn't phase him in the slightest.
Nocturne
January 26, 2002 02:44PM

Moonrazor--

You make some good points on Thor, but I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of your beliefs are explained by an above-average Intuition (particularly in the instance of "recognizing the handiwork of villains"), COUPLED with an average Reason, rather than simply a higher Reason rank. At the end of the day, every Judge should design his game statistics as HE sees fit, but that's just my opinion. For me, I think Good would certainly be an appropriate rank...but I also wouldn't go higher.

nocturne.
Meanstreak
January 26, 2002 03:31PM
Moonrazor, I agree with you. In fact, I give Thor and Hercules both AM(50) Body Resistance to reflect what the comics have illustrated over the last 25 years. I also give them the Regeneration ability, simply because I think every deity-class character should have it.
Secret Defender, Inc.
Re: Spider-Man's Reason
February 07, 2002 02:35AM
I agree that due to his gadgeteering and chemistry skills that Mr. Parker seems to be of higher reason than the Excellent rank would indicate. However, how I handled it is as follows: He is the inventor of his web-shooters and webbing. They are his unique inventions. Therfore I permit +2 column shifts on his reason whenever a FEAT is needed concerning those inventions. Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom are bonafide GENIUSES; Kitty Pryde was born with a higher I.Q. than Peter Parker. The only down side to solving this issue with a Talent bonus is that Spiderman's basic Karma does not increase.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.