Is there anybody out there?

Posted by Secret Defender 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is there anybody out there?
April 16, 2002 06:52PM
Either everyone at the sametime had similiar real life commitments to attend like me or I missed the Mother Ship...Where is everybody?

Secret (lonely)Defender.
Nocturne
Re: Is there anybody out there?
April 16, 2002 11:13PM

S.D.I.--

I'm right here with you, buddy. And since I don't see any strange lights over Devil's Tower, I don't think it's the Mother Ship....

So, wanna talk some Alpha Flight? ;)

nocturne
Administrator, Department H
April 17, 2002 12:36AM
I have seen your website and I love it. You really love your Alpha Flight. I haven't really read any of the Alpha Flight comics, but I have read titles where some of the members have guest appearances.

I really like Shaman and Vindicator. Does he have an extended family that have also joined the Flight? As far as Vindicator goes, is her husband really dead, and if so can I have her phone number. She has redhair and she's a woman. I would like to meet her.

Since you head up Department H, I thought maybe you could throw me a bone.

SDI
April 17, 2002 04:25AM
Yes Life is here...
I have been checking this site on a regular basis to essentially answer any questions. I have seen that things have tended to fall a bit slack with the Revamp Project I will have to look into that and get some updates. I agree that it has been a lot quiet around here of late...

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
April 17, 2002 07:35AM
I will post more combat structure info either late this week or over the weekend. Range, Grappling, and Charge attacks with appropriate defensive options still remain.

Later alligator,

SDI
SaintObvious
April 17, 2002 10:52AM
hey Nocturne-

for those of us NOT in the loop, what Alpha site are you running (I'm a huge AF fan from waaaaaaaaaaaayyy) back!

sean...
Nocturne
April 18, 2002 03:19AM
S.D.I.--

Thanks for the kind words on the website. :)

Ironically, Alpha Flight is *not* my first love in comics, though with the effort I've devoted towards them, that might strike you as odd. I consider myself much more knowledgable in the world of the X-Men, actually. But after R.P.G.ing in Salem Center's sandbox for well over fifteen years (!), I decided on using Canada's premier superhumans as the basis for my online game.

I started reading Alpha Flight in 1983, when my best friend John Nemeth and I were collecting comics in 5th Grade. Originally, I got it just because I was (and continue to be) such a big John Byrne fan. However, the book really captivated me, and since then, I have always had a soft spot for the Alphan characters. And when I was deciding what corner of the Marvel Universe I would revolve my internet campaign around, they turned out to be the perfect (IMHO) vehicle for providing me with the fresh start and the inspiration I needed to dive into a new, large-scale project. They were familiar enough for me to be interested in them, yet obscure enough that I could take "artistic liberties" with them, without feeling like my players would revolt in uproar. ;)

So Alpha Flight it was.

Since you mentioned that you haven't read any issues of the book, allow me the liberty of a brief critique. By all means, go out and buy Alpha Flight #1-28 (Series #1) or #1-20 (Series #2), both are brilliant, although the original certainly is the better read. AVOID EVERYTHING ELSE AT ALL COSTS. It's REALLY bad stuff. Seriously. Don't say I didn't warn you.

As for your other comments....

1) I like Shaman a lot, too, although I think I actually like his daughter, Talisman (who is probably the "extended family" you referred to), even more. Very spunky, dynamic character--who happens to be a blast to write, too. ;)

2) Heather is actually my second-favorite member of Alpha, and in my Top 10 favorites in all of the Marvel Universe. I won't get into how big of a mistake I felt it was to put Heather in the Vindicator suit (okay, I'll say THIS much: your spouse, who is the love of your life, gets blown to bits inside of a malfunctioning battlesuit--what POSSESSES you to wear said battlesuit YOURSELF? Her wearing the suit was extremely contrived, IMHO.).

2a) You have excellent taste. I, too, bear the weakness to red hair on women (hmm...an addendum to the Ultimate Powers Book?). Unfortunately, not only is her husband still alive, but has demonstrated an uncanny ability to elude he reaper's scythe, even under the most extreme circumstances. Of course, I attribute this to a bevy of PISS-POOR Alpha Flight writers that have to constantly fall back on the weak crutch of "comic-book-cliche miraculous resurrections", but hey? What do I know? ;)

In short...sure...I can get you the digits--if you're sure you still want 'em, that is. Personally, I think Mary Jane Watson-Parker might be a bet less hazardous to your health....

nocturne
Nocturne
April 18, 2002 03:29AM

Saint Obvious--

Firstly, thanks for your interest.

I'm currently running a Play-By-E-Mail Alpha Flight RPG, based on Yahoo! Groups. In continuity, my game takes place DIRECTLY after Alpha Flight #28, with a blatant disregard for anything that happened thereafter.

The information website for my game is located at:

www.geocities.com/other_worlds/Department_H

You can see Advanced M.S.H. character sheets and art for the consituents of Department H on that site. Backgrounds will eventually come, but as they're so time-consuming, they're DEEP on the back-burner.

I have been frequently asked, as of late, for samples of some of the stuff that actually goes on in the game. Well, to avoid having my stuff blatantly ripped off of me, I've made the group Members Only, so unfortuantely, it's not so easy as logging in and checking it out. However, I once did a short piece for a fellow I met on the Alpha Flight Message Board, based on the "Son of Snowbird" character, from early in the Post-Byrne Alpha run. If you're eager to see what my stuff is like, you can see that piece here:

[members3.boardhost.com]

Hopefully, you'll like it. Any comments you'd like to make on that little bit would be appreciated.

nocturne

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.