What do they do all day?

Posted by MIC Rulz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What do they do all day?
April 08, 2002 05:42PM
What do they do in their down time?

We know that Spiderman/Peter Parker is a photographer, or (depending on the series) a teacher, or a student.

What does Galactus do in his spare time? When he was alive and not feeding on planets. They mention he was a scientist of some measure, but what'd he do. And why?

Reed Richards tinkers all day long in his shop. What does his wife Susan do? Or even Thing for that matter.

These are the things that I think about when creating my own characters.
My current character is a full-time pilot for a small shipping company (no people transported), a volunteer fireman, and a honarary deputy. He sculpts at the local art school and likes to exercise (weights, jogging, gymnastics.) He dates and goes socializing at night.
I build into my characters hooks so I know where/when/what they're doing.
Re: What do they do all day?
April 10, 2002 04:24AM
I'm Guessing that they probably perform functions that are not worth printing. This is where the individual with his PC can add more colour to the character and also the game... this does depend on GM's perogative. Although a couple of ideas do pop to mind as far as adventure hooks.

A PC could happen apon a very rare stamp in a bookstore.. or an ancient valueable coin in the street. The result of touching this item could be anything from stopping time or transporting the PC to another location/dimension/time to correct some grossly aberrant problem.

Scupting... PC could inadvertantly free some evil sorcorer/ress/demon... or the object being scuptured could try to communicate to the PC... so many options.

Some of my players welcome this much detail... some don't. It is up to the Player and GM to discuss this and it is up to the GM to get some feed back every once in a while.

You see all these pass times can be hooks of one type or another to draw the player into their character and the game more... for the end result of better enjoyment while playing the game.

This does not need to be always implemented however if I have a player that puts extra colour into their characters background and past times they also get a bonus amount of Karma.... (GM's perogative).

Fangs

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.