ClassicMarvel.com and The Skycutter

Posted by ThatArtGuy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ClassicMarvel.com and The Skycutter
March 14, 2008 10:26PM
I'd just like to add that if you are going to bash niniri then you need to bash most of the people who posted here. They all said the people praising Sky are out of control, and I agree. The sheer amount of those type of posts to me says it isn't just normal opinions and complements.
March 14, 2008 10:39PM
Um, yeah. Almost like it is engineered.

Did I say that out loud, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
March 14, 2008 10:42PM
Ragnarok,

Just about everybody here has said something about it. I'm not going to say any more.
I've tried doing what I can for this community, and trying to find ways to better it. Since
you don't seem to understand what is aggravating some of the rest of us, I don't know
how better we can explain it. I'm not going to try and articulate it over and over again,
when half the posts here have tried to express the same thing.

No hard feelings to any one, I'm only one person, who's been vocal, and perhaps,
because of that, others have come forward to voice their feelings on the matter.
What happens here is out of our hands now....

Good luck with it.

Regards,

Niniri

March 14, 2008 11:15PM
Niniri, you arent the only one to be vocal about it. I asked the same question a few months ago. Got some good replies then got the flames. Thankfully I love a good argument, they were not up to the challenge however. What it means to me is i ignore certain people now.

TLD, you are not the only one who has thought this way. It's been extremely convenient in how it keeps popping up and all. And with the frequency that it does happen with it tends to lend it self to conclusions.

All that said, I dont have anything against Skycutter. His builds are fine for his game. I dont like em for mine but hey, I dont have to use em. The few times he and i have talked he seemed nice enough and all.

However, if he does take over and the sycophants do take over the boards i know I will not be coming to the site any longer. I know it's still in the realm of if's but based on how things are now... the percentage is high.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
March 14, 2008 11:43PM
tystates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd just like to add that if you are going to bash
> niniri then you need to bash most of the people
> who posted here. They all said the people praising
> Sky are out of control, and I agree. The sheer
> amount of those type of posts to me says it isn't
> just normal opinions and complements.

No. You folks didn't try unprofessionally deleting folks without warning over personal distain on compliments, be it normal, engineered or not normal. My point is, that action is a poor way to moderate things. As for Bashing the rest. No, I don't need too. Just keep posting like your higher above the standards of others. If you got an issue with bashing, then stop being a hypocrite with bashing those of the Skycutter community. None of these folks have issues with you that I have yet seen. If you got issues with them, develope the nerve and PM your opinions about it. You're intitled to it. If you want results, ya gotta do something about it vs. complaining. Or do nothing at all.

I do know what you folks are talking about, I'm not dense. I've read a few of your own post in the past and I've seen your fair share of outlandish and unreasonable. Even I have a few post that fit that criteria. All We've just seen so far is merely a dramatic boost in popularity with Skycutter and perhaps a few others. We didn't ask for it. It just happened. Which I can see your point of view as, "out of control". I just think it's silly of a reason to go Keyboard Commando and trying to delete ISP's.

Have you guys considered that perhaps this is merely a temporary hype that will mellow out eventually. The forum is fresh and new and people are just excited to be some place. Aunt P has recieve the exact same hero worship from EVERYONE in this community and you know it. After a while it mellowed, yet even some still to this day hero worship Aunt P for this site. Does that make us fanfolk too? Were we out of control then? Is the hype finally out of our system?

I swear, it's like the pot calling the kettle black around here.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"
March 14, 2008 11:50PM
Hello everyone! To me this is the best Classic Marvel site on the web; some of the most creative people are on this site. Why are we fighting with each other? The Classic Marvel.com site is coming to an end, we need to unite! If you set back and read this thread you can understand why Aunt_Petunia is so tired, the fighting {Flaming one another} eats away at the Community! I would like this site to live on, but we are taking away from it with the arguing. The topic of this post is your opinion of who you want as an Administrator! In order for this site to live we need to come together as a Community, I ask each of you to put aside your differences with each other. I know the passion for the Classic Marvel RPG lives within each of you; otherwise this site would have not survived this long. Vote as a Community on who you want to lead this site, if you do not want to have me as your Administrator, who on the site do you want? Who is more the one that can unite a splintered Community? Time is running out! I can understand how Aunt_Petunia feels; this site is his heart, and soul for the game (his true passion). If you want this site to continue come together or it will not make it.

VOTE on the Following:

1. The Administrator you want?

2. At least 4 Moderators?

3. A name for the site? Nightmask, came up with Classic Marvel Forever! What do you think?

If I was Aunt_Petunia, I would not want to turn over my site just to let it die! If you believe in something and want it bad enough you have to work for it, I have always believed in this philosophy! Do something now for this site or just do nothing and it will all just come to an end.....

This not a flame it is a desperate cry for each of you to do something for this Classic Marvel Community to live!!

The Skycutter

March 14, 2008 11:51PM
Sycophants...That's a new one, Lord_Sidious. lol

March 14, 2008 11:54PM
Your right, I apologize for straying off topic. I made my vote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 11:55PM by RAGNARoK.
March 14, 2008 11:58PM
I calls em like i sees em.

anyway, the vote is all well and good, however, if we dont know what plans the person we are voting for has in store it just comes down to popularity not necessarily what is best for our community and the site.

I tried to get something going on that subject with THIS thread. perhaps those others that wish to shoulder the load will be good enough to post on it.

Like every election, one should always make an informed decision.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
March 15, 2008 12:09AM
I'll go for mod... I don't play politics, don't tolerate flame-wars, and know so little of any of you I can guarantee impartiality.
March 15, 2008 12:09AM
The_Skycutter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
VOTE on the Following:
1. The Administrator you want?
2. At least 4 Moderators?
3. A name for the site? Nightmask, came up with Classic Marvel Forever! What do you think?

Alright.. Getting back on track and returning to the real issues at hand, with my apologies for my kvetching and my part in derailing this topic..

1: Administrator -- I have no problem with Skycutter serving as Admin, as he seems to have more than enough experience and the necessary dedication to keep this site going.

2. Moderators -- TAG is probably a good Mod choice, if he's willing to take up the mantle and can devote the time and energy to it. I would also cast a vote for The Last Duskblade, if he's willing and able, as I think he was one of the first to offer to maintain this site, which to me speaks well of his interest and dedication. Not sure about two more at the moment.. Will have to think about it..

3. Site Name -- I think Nightmask's suggestion is perfect. ClassicMarvelForever, or some variation thereof (ClassicMarvel4ever, etc.) would serve admirably in capturing our community's devotion to the game itself, and the site in particular.

There's my votes, such as they are :P

Quack, damn you...
March 15, 2008 12:17AM
This is a wild change of pace.

First of all the voting for this thread is about wether or not we wanted Skycutter to administrate the site. It was stated by several people that he is the one who Aunt P. wanted to take over in his absence. Have I misunderstood this?

I'll assume that I have for now so I can respond to the things Skycutter left for us.

1. Like I said I was under the impression that Aunt. P wanted you (Cutter) dogg. If he is more open minded then that I would have to vote for The Rook. While I have offered to do it myself, I am relatively new here and I can understand Auntie not being comfortable with that.

2. First of all I would make Nightmask the moderator for the Your Favorites section. Skycutter for the Let's Talk Stats section. TAG for the Revamp section. And someone with a ton of time on their hands for the Discussion section. The of course there might be more sections added later. I'm all for having a Versus section because that stuff clutters the other boards and would be nice to have a place for that.

3. I love the name that Nightmask chose. Good all around.

We need all the information out in the open so we can really make some decisions as a group. Otherwise there is really nothing to talk about, which was the whole point of my last post. There has not been enough communication. Let us get it all out so this place can be a place we really want to kick it.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
March 15, 2008 12:30AM
I really don't want to see the site die and I'm okay with any reasonable set-up but definitely must be controls in place to deal with the flames and keep things productive.

I don't have any problems with Skycutter and never have (and do appreciate his mentioning my suggestion for a new site name) and was well justified in disagreeing with house rules being inserted into the rulebooks as canon material. The flames I got from the fanboy legions on the other hand I had a great deal of disagreement with. There's a world of difference between being a fan and idolizing someone and thinking it justifies attacking others if they even appear to disagree with that.

A new site whether built from the ground up or grown from the ashes of this site must have moderators willing to accept being unpopular when it comes time to shut down fanboys and flames for the good of everyone else because that singlemindness only hurts the game for everyone and drives off fans who just want to enjoy things and not be attacked or watch others attacked for no just cause.

So whoever hosts things and works in the moderator positions has to be able to take the criticism, be willing to be unpopular, and put aside even who they idolize to be fair and balanced for the overall community and not just for a small portion. As Niniri and others have noted those roles are not for the faint of heart and those expecting praise and worship but those dedicated in shaping things to make the world of classic marvel better and nourish it not let it be strangled.

In the end I agree with Skycutter that the divisiveness, flaming, and general 'you must be evil you aren't in our camp' behavior needs to be eliminated and things looked at for the betterment of the game we all claim to love rather than behaving in petty maneuvering that shows no love at all for the game or respect for each other and is only destroying it for everyone instead.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 15, 2008 02:08AM
When I first came to Classic Marvel.com I was welcomed by a Community that was different from any other I had experienced before. Members like MIC_Rulz and Tystates were the first to welcome me to this site! I truly had a passion for this site then as I do now and I do not want it to die off. It was asked by The Last Duskblade, did Aunt_Petunia asked me to carry on as the site Administrator? Yes, I was asked by Aunt_Petunia if I wanted to take over his dream {his baby} which is this site. But the Forum is so splintered apart I'm willing to do anything to keep it going. If their is another member of the community that can reunite this site, I would be willing to ask Aunt_Petunia to let them have it, if that is what the Community wants! I would be willing to go co-administrator with that person to keep this site alive also; this is the passion that I have for Classic Marvel.com. I sometimes wonder if the Forum Community realizes just how much this site stands out from other Marvel RPG websites. The Community even has one of the original founders of the game David E. Martin as a members, this is very rare, and special. What would it take to reunite this forum and keep the site going; each of you must ask yourselves this question? If you do not want to post openly and you want to help me keep this site alive, my email address is the_skycutter@yahoo.com. We really do not have a lot of time left, with all the arguing that is going on Aunt_Petunia just may decide the hell with it, and just kill the site off. If you want this site to live help me, nothing you really want every comes easy my friends!

Thank you……

The Skycutter

March 15, 2008 02:46AM
I thought I should interject something while people are on the subject of nominating moderators. I am grateful that people are thinking of me for the position. However, I make it an extreme priority to stay away from the Revamp and Favourites sections here on the forum. Since I am working on my own project, I don't want others believing that I am lifting ideas, and I don't want to be subliminally influenced by other people's work. My project is my project, is what I'm trying to say. Therefore, I stay far away from those areas of the site. I also keep away from the Stats section... well... mainly because it's the Stats section. :)

As for the Discussion group, I don't really have the time to be on the frontlines, but I guess being a backup would be fine if that's what the community absolutely needs me to. When I come here it's usually an in/out type of thing. (No pun intended. ...Well, okay, it's intended.)

TAG
March 15, 2008 02:57AM
Skycutter,

Thank you for clearing that up. I've sent you a private message with my reply.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2008 03:00AM by The Last Duskblade.
March 15, 2008 10:26AM
Yikes, this thread has lit up like Johnny Storm's athlete's foot.

I'd just like to say that I have confidence in Skycutter. I've spoken to him personally on numerous occasions and I believe him to be a really good guy with his head squarely on his shoulders. I think he'd do a bang up job hosting the site. I only ask that the appearance of the site remain the same. Any other appearance and it just wouldn't seem the same.

As for the fanboy drones (who sometimes I swear are the same person posting under different accounts), I have to say that the worship doesn't bother me nearly as much as when they flame people who don't like or agree with something Cutter has written up. That's the behavior that needs to be nipped in the bud. So far, no one has done so on Cutter's site, but then again, no one has given the drones any reason to. I think mods are a great idea, but I think they should be people who are truly impartial. I can't think of many people here who I'd call truly impartial... heck, I wouldn't even call myself truly impartial.

I'm sure Niniri was working to the best of her ability and did what she thought was right. I don't know exactly what happened so I'm not going to take sides there, but regardless, most problems online can be chalked up to misunderstandings. I don't want to see this transition tear this community apart. So please, folks... let's do this as painlessly as possible.

Incidentally, I do like classicmarvelforver.com as a domain name. Good one, Nightmask.

March 15, 2008 03:23PM
The problem with a flood of 'You're the greatest/you rock/etc' posts is that they crowd out posts with actual substance and turn off people who aren't interested in that and are logging in and looking for actual discussions. Where there isn't anything inherently wrong in wanting to praise someone for good work when it starts looking like a macro on your computer that reads 'when <insert name here> posts reply with <worshipful yet meaningless praise>' it's gone too far.

It also backfires as it tends to cause anyone else who might have posted a positive response to not do so because they don't want to be mistaken for one of those drones. They also might be afraid to post because they disagree with some or all of it because it's almost a given that they risk getting flamed. Why would anyone want to post when they'd have to risk getting flamed like I was? One reason Niniri gave up posting or reading things was being burned out on that kind of thing and I seriously doubt she's the only one, just one of the few willing to say so. The rest just disappear without a sound feeling their opinion doesn't matter. Since I post out of a love for the game and general desire to be helpful and not to have legions of worshipful fans I continue to post in spite of the flaming fanboy legions for the people who can appreciate it.

One problem to work around for moderators is that often the kinds of things requiring one are infrequent so anyone chosen likely hasn't any proven history in dealing with such problems, especially if they're called upon to moderate someone who's a friend who's behaving badly. It generally requires someone who can step outside friendship and not let dealing with that interfere with the friendship afterwards (much like a cop has to not let his friendship or family ties stop him arresting someone for doing wrong while still being a friend or family member).

A moderator 'pool' might be a good idea, similar to a jury pool with primaries and alternates so that moderators could be rotated to determine their ability to handle the job as well as keep the burden low for any particular individual. I know I'd find it good to not have to remain a moderator non-stop and get some time without the hassles of going 'Hey you people go to your respective corners, cool down, and NO posting anything to each other's posts for at least a week' every time some thread goes nuclear.

With regards to Niniri and her moderator position at Skycutter's I'm sure she was doing what she felt was needed to help the site grow and be a good one instead of just page after page of 'you rule!'. I'm sure he'd rather people were posting stuff that helped everyone out and drew people to his forum rather than drove them off because they couldn't find anything beyond one-line posts all saying how great he is and nothing else or couldn't find the material worth reading because they weren't going to dig through all the spam to find it.

Having a real interactive forum is what's made this site so good, what's drawn people to it so consistently over the years. It's not line after line of nothing but single-minded praise but actual people who for the most part are posting their views and agreeing to disagree with little more than the occasional heated argument. I have also noticed when looking back through the forums that the recent flames we've seen aren't new, there have been other periods where it was bad (Your Favorites has a number of character posts dated from 2003 that got nothing but flames and redicule from the members at the time and zero respect). This group survived that to continue on and reviving it elsewhere after Aunt_Petunia gives it up isn't impossible as long as there's committment to doing it right.

For those who like my suggestion for a new site name thanks I'm glad that it's striking a chord in at least some people. I think with committment and planning we can rebuild and keep Classic Marvel going long into the 21st Century and after the internet is replaced with something so much better than it like broadband puts dial-up to shame (or so I've been told).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 15, 2008 03:46PM
Punstarr Wrote:
I only ask that the appearance of the site remain the same. Any other appearance and it just wouldn't seem the same.

i like this appearance of the phorum and the site, too. i think it's easily perspicuous.
maybe the search function could be improved later...

Incidentally, I do like classicmarvelforver.com as a domain name. Good one, Nightmask.

yeah, this name can go :!)-D
March 15, 2008 05:21PM
Short version: I had voted for 'sombody else'as admin--the preference would be for The Rook.
Among suggestions for moderators: Ty States, The Last Duskblade in 'general', Ben Reilly
for Lets Talk Stats, and Nightmask for Your Faves.

And the name idea is excellent, Nightmask.

Best regards,

Niniri

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.