ClassicMarvel.com and The Skycutter

Posted by ThatArtGuy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ClassicMarvel.com and The Skycutter
March 13, 2008 01:34PM
The site has been offered to The Skycutter by Aunt_P. The Cutter would like to have your opinion on him taking over as the administrator on this site. Skycutter is at this time trying to negotiate with Aunt_P to share the administrator position, instead of Aunt_P leaving. In the negotiation with Aunt_P, Skycutter is wanting to take over all the burdens of the site, allowing Aunt_P to take a break, and hoping that Aunt_P will return refreshed. Skycutter has experience running websites for over five years.

He wants to know the feelings of the community on this matter, since it is your board, and your opinion matters.

Sincerely,

The Skycutter via ThatArtGuy
Re: ClassicMarvel.com and The Skycutter
March 13, 2008 02:11PM
Hey, this is a great site and it needs to remain open and operational.

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Media Productions
www.highmoonmedia.com
March 13, 2008 02:30PM
Why am I sitting here with an upset stomach and about to cry over some stupid bloody forums?

I guess it's 'cause I'm mourning the loss of something, that up until late last year was a place
that I really enjoyed coming to vist and participating in. I'm not really thinking clearly right now,
just...feeling...and that's not normal for me, as I'm a pretty rational gal.

It was a place I liked to be, and liked most of the people, in spite of the occasional disagreements.

It was a place where all of us Classic Marvel gamers could go, hang out and post, and just be a
buncha gamers, like I used to do with my gaming buddies back at university, at the local game
shop, Castle Perilous in Carbondale, IL, right on The Island on the edge of SIU's strip.

Maybe it's because I feel like I'm loosing something that used to be really special, or like a best
friend died.

Yes, I think Skycutter's a decent bloke, and has a good head on his shoulders for managing content,
layout and creative endeavours.

Yes, TAG's one of the best layout/graphic artists I've seen. He does some beautiful work, and he'd
be one of a handful of awesome folks to keep up the graphic design and update the profiles and other
netbook offerings for this site.

I can't say that I'd feel that way about how anyone would manage a bunch of rampaging fanfolks who
just keep posting "this rocks or it's soooo kewl...." I thought things might work out with Sky's forums
and that the so-called "Skycutter Army" was going to be managed effectively and I even offered tobe/was
a moderator there. And was accepted, but when I looked around the site, over the last few days...there
was no real tools that I could use to do what I felt like was my responsibility.

And in the long run, it's not *my* site. Not *my* community any more...though it used to be.

I thought I could make a difference, and come back and be a part of the Classic Marvel online community again.

I was wrong.

There. I said it.

I was wrong about there being a place for me. Here. Again.

I was wrong to let my emotions get so involved in something that I had vowed to walk away from
in the past few months. I was wrong to let try and get involved in it again.

I was wrong to let my hopes rise...becuase in the end, you see, it looks like I'm not going to be wrong.

And that's what hurts. Seeing that I can't do a damned thing to make things better by being here.

So, this is it. Again.

Good bye. Goddess Bless.

For those of you who got a PM from me, you know how to get ahold of me. I really, really can't. It's not fun coming here, any more. Maybe this place has changed too much, too fast, too recently--or maybe I've just realised that I'm changing and there's no place for me in this community any more.

Give me a ring, Skycutter, I wanted to appologise in person, but I can't do this any more.

Best regards,

Niniri

March 13, 2008 02:31PM
I would love to see this site remain up and running, and am glad to hear that Aunt P is considering handing over the responsibilities so that the site can remain up.

And I respect Skycutter and admire his efforts, even when I've disagreed with his interpretations on some matters. I'm sure Skycutter would do a good job in maintaining the site, and Aunt P must feel likewise, else he'd not have offered the site to Skycutter in the first place.

That said, however, there seem to be some things that inevitably follow in Skycutter's wake that annoy me, and which I feel have detracted from, and may continue to detract from, what I've enjoyed about this site. I do not blame Skycutter for such matters, as I know it's not something he has any control over, nor does it reflect in any way upon him.

If Skycutter taking over helps keep this site alive, then that is certainly a good thing in my opinion, but I can't help but wonder if somebody else taking over the reins and responsibilities might prevent the resurgence of certain useless clutter...

Thus, despite my respect for Skycutter himself, I have to respectfully cast my personal preference for someone else to take over. Again, this is nothing against Skycutter...

Quack, damn you...
March 13, 2008 02:46PM
NiniriAZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I can't say that I'd feel that way about how anyone would manage a bunch of rampaging fanfolks who
just keep posting "this rocks or it's soooo kewl...." I thought things might work out with Sky's forums
and that the so-called "Skycutter Army" was going to be managed effectively and I even offered tobe/was
a moderator there. And was accepted, but when I looked around the site, over the last few days...there
was no real tools that I could use to do what I felt like was my responsibility.

that's the same reason why i'm not reading the Cutter's forum... nothing interesting, only these one-row annoying comments... it's almost the 70% of the replies! erm...

i hope if the Cutter will manage this portal, they wouldn't do posts like there...

:beer: :peace:
March 13, 2008 10:20PM
I'm going to have to agree with some of my partners here. While I am convinced that Skycutter is an all around cool dude, I'm not sure that him taking over would make the site anything more that a center for Yay! and Uber King! commentaries. That being said, I hope I do not offend Skycutter, because I really do enjoy his contributions to the game. In private messages I have found him to be helpful and genuinely polite. As with most everyone here I consider him to be a friend, or as much as people can be over the internet anyway. ;-)

Truth be told, I would rather someone else take over Classic Marvel.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
March 14, 2008 12:06AM
As long as he can keep the army of drones in line, I say he has more than what it takes to run this site. My vote is yes.

March 14, 2008 12:26AM
Punstarr Wrote:
> As long as he can keep the army of drones in line

i say that's a moderator's job to delete those replies and warn those users.

i think after the 1st or 2nd "ban" they will change :)
March 14, 2008 02:15AM
Provided the ban's did any good, the persistant drones know the tricks around bans and even how to mask their ISP so it just ends up punishing innocent people that go through that area but not them.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 14, 2008 02:46AM
i meant their names, not their IPs.

yes, i know, they can register again and again... but i hope there is hope for everyone :)
March 14, 2008 03:08AM
If it matters in any tagible way, I think Redman II articulated my feelings in a far better and constructive way that I could have, myself.

I will quote him here:
That said, however, there seem to be some things that inevitably follow in Skycutter's wake that annoy me, and which I feel have detracted from, and may continue to detract from, what I've enjoyed about this site. I do not blame Skycutter for such matters, as I know it's not something he has any control over, nor does it reflect in any way upon him.

If Skycutter taking over helps keep this site alive, then that is certainly a good thing in my opinion, but I can't help but wonder if somebody else taking over the reins and responsibilities might prevent the resurgence of certain useless clutter...

Thus, despite my respect for Skycutter himself, I have to respectfully cast my personal preference for someone else to take over. Again, this is nothing against Skycutter...

That's why I, too, voted against Skycutter.

The Rook
(Q-Class Forever!)
Joe
March 14, 2008 09:06AM
I don't really know Skycutter, thus I don't have any issues with him personally. What I don't like is the small group of disciples that walk around acting like he walks on water. That personally turns me off to him taking over. It almost makes me wonder if they are his family or something. :)
March 14, 2008 10:51AM
Has anyone else offered to hold the Torch???…….

Whoever takes over Classic Marvel.com will need help from Fiddy different angels….. And who Aunt P trusts the most?

So far, things have gotten better…. I don’t know who did the repairs, but Thanks… Classic Marvel seems to be loading faster for all the different CPUs I have access to.

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
March 14, 2008 11:36AM
I also voted for someone else taking over the site. pretty much for the same reason everyone has posted. I have little desire to deal with sycophants and while i know they are not of his making and he seems as bewildered by the phenomenon as many of us, I dont want to deal with it every time something new pops up or someone disagrees with one of his write-ups.

So no, I dont think it would be a conductive environment to continue enjoying the game in.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
March 14, 2008 01:28PM
Others have offered, but Skycutter is the ostensibly the only one that Aunty P is
comfortable considering turning the reins over to.

Like many others who've said their peace above, I would say that Skycutter has
the capability of running the site over all. But he has to make it possible for any
moderators he might appoint or might be agreed upon by the larger community
have the tools and the ability to stop the "Fanboy Legion" and keep that phenom
from alienating the majority of said community.

Better to offend a few by proactively managing them than watch this entire community
become alienated from the thing we'd all prefer to save.

Best regards,

Niniri

Great, I'm the tie breaker........
March 14, 2008 01:46PM
In all the years wandering over here, only one person really annoyed me and Skycutter ain't him.
So if Skycutter has the technical skills to maintain the site, I'm all for his taking on the reins.
But Sky-- remember Auntie P is a freakin' genius and a hard standard to live up to, so if you feel you need help, ask those who are offering to help.
Not me! My technical skills are still trying to master Turtle and understand the Commodore 128.
--David

Re: Great, I'm the tie breaker........
March 14, 2008 02:07PM
After hearing that apparently while the site material would be turned over but not the web address I'd like to suggest classicmarvelforever.com if it is passed on as a fitting new name since I'd like to see this site live on forever.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 14, 2008 02:38PM
NiniriAZ Wrote:
> Others have offered, but Skycutter is the
> ostensibly the only one that Aunty P is
> comfortable considering turning the reins over to.
>
>
> Like many others who've said their peace above, I
> would say that Skycutter has
> the capability of running the site over all. But
> he has to make it possible for any
> moderators he might appoint or might be agreed
> upon by the larger community
> have the tools and the ability to stop the "Fanboy
> Legion" and keep that phenom
> from alienating the majority of said community.
>
> Better to offend a few by proactively managing
> them than watch this entire community
> become alienated from the thing we'd all prefer to
> save.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Niniri

I agree completely.
Make sure you pick mods who are as impartial as possible.
And can be relied upon to be around when needed.
March 14, 2008 09:21PM
NiniriAZ Wrote:
> Others have offered, but Skycutter is the
> ostensibly the only one that Aunty P is
> comfortable considering turning the reins over to.
>
>
> Like many others who've said their peace above, I
> would say that Skycutter has
> the capability of running the site over all. But
> he has to make it possible for any
> moderators he might appoint or might be agreed
> upon by the larger community
> have the tools and the ability to stop the "Fanboy
> Legion" and keep that phenom
> from alienating the majority of said community.
>
> Better to offend a few by proactively managing
> them than watch this entire community
> become alienated from the thing we'd all prefer to
> save.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Niniri

Proactively managing...Heh...
Okay, this was enough for me to return and post a few facts that need to be aired out. I've heard both sides of the story now. Read recent posts. Even emails.

You failed to mention to the communtiy, Niniri, that you out right attempt to band 20 people over at Skycutters site without warning, over mere complements, COMPLIMENTS!!!... I can't see how anyone cannot see that as being WAY out of line, even for a moderator and/or admin. And would be considered an abuse of power that was kindly offered. I'm glad you didn't have those particular tools availible to you to take such actions over mere compliments & opinions.

Those Fanfolk/Drones, are a community of folks who also enjoy classicmarvel, who sit around a table with friends or accross the web and game too. This isn't some Hellfire club for Pete's Sake. Young and Old, newbies, veterans. We all game marvel.

So they like some of the stuff that others in the communtiy do, whoopi doo. They are a communtiy that enjoy each other and you get angry of a few posts of deserving compliments. Sky made a site to help those who lost the ability to log on this wonderful site that I find myself returing and lurking, wishing to post a few more times. I felt lost, we all felt lost. We needed an outlet and the enjoyment that was freely given. That's the kind of passion for the game and the reason why Skycutter was picked by Aunt P. He has the passion for the game and the compassion for the comuntiy, even the fanfolks.

One thing I stand for, is the right to post opinions, people are intitled to them. The only mention of Skycutter Army is in your recent post Niniri. If I'm wrong, so be it. I'll get over it. If you want to curb the fan base posting. Try talking to the community about whats on your mind vs. Extermination of ISP's on a demented whim.

You all can flame me all you want. I don't care! whooo scary flamage, whoopi doo.

I like you folks. You matter to me a lot. You all needed to understanding why Niniri is no longer a moderator.

Proactively managing..I think not. There is better ways to moderate vs. outright deletion, and that's not moderating, that's exterminating fans and pissing people off completely from a site. When you show you give a damn about someone, they tend to give a damn about you without hesitation, Am I wrong?

I'll talk to the communtiy. Like a moderator should do. Because I'm part of the same community and I give a damn about them and you folks as well. Even you Niniri, I give a damn about you, whether you believe it or not.

Peace.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 09:22PM by RAGNARoK.
March 14, 2008 09:53PM
Ragnarok, Niniri, and everyone else,

While I agree that everyone should be able to post their opinions freely in an open forum, (as long as it is civil of course) I do feel that there is very little in the way of contribution in that right. If there are a bunch of posts put down (many times within a few minutes of each other) celebrating Skycutter's contribution, it doesn't really bother me. But it doesn't really offer anything to the conversation either. There have been many times where the arguments by the so called Cutter Fans have be outlandish and unreasonable, and that does nothing for the community. Since I know you care about that community as a whole I thought I would share that little tidbit of data, from my perspective.

Honestly, I am a fan of Skycutter, and the work he does. If he doesn't know that, he will when/if he reads this. I think the problem comes in where this mass of people on the boards devoted to him, don't keep their minds open enough to consider other angles. Which actually isn't really a problem either as long as they don't attack someone else while defending their post. Which actually wouldn't be a problem either if the argument consisted of something more than "SKYCUTTER IS THE KING!!!" comments. Which may not really matter anyway because I likely won't be here to read that nonsense anymore.

If it is truly the collective body that we care about, we will have to consider every single member of this community. Including those that are voicing their complete and total disinterest in having the board be filled with Skycutter worship. My answer to that is to say to everyone: If you don't like it when it comes around.....don't be here. If you don't want to read worship/fanboy comments......don't read them. Period. No one is forcing anyone to be here. If the forum no longer offers what you are into......leave. Make your own forum or something, and don't forget to send me an invitation. I'll probably be looking for a new place to chill.

If anyone needs me for anything.....I'll be playing in Rook-Earth. thelastduskblade@yahoo.com

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.