Doing it again

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Doing it again
March 09, 2008 01:16AM
how you handle the Martial Arts ?
may we use the Ultimate Talents Book or only the main 5 form (A-E) of martial arts ?
March 09, 2008 01:25AM
No, as far as I know there is no "Dodging Talent" +2cs would be about it.

Actually Probability Manipulation would have a rank. For resisting being manipulated and such. Also the required limitation does not decrease the character point cost of the power. Though you did bring up a valid point.

Powers that dont actually have a rank..

Circular Vision,

Water Breathing,

Water Freedom,

Are bought as if Good Rank (20 points/10 points if a stunt.)

Thor has not been seen on Earth for the past 20 years so the PCs dont know since the oldest of them is 20.

Unique Weapon costs as per the power it is..Though abilities incorporated into the weapon/device are paid for as stunts (1/2 cost) this also applies to weapons items paid for with other powers (ie Weapons and Artifact Creation )
March 09, 2008 01:35AM
Joe,

Another good question.

Martial Arts A-F, Aerial Combat, Underwater Combat, Wrestling, Acrobatics, Tumbling and Thrown Obects are the ones allowed.
March 09, 2008 01:50AM
YOUR HUMBLE SERVANT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Martial Arts A-F, Aerial Combat, Underwater
> Combat, Wrestling, Acrobatics, Tumbling and Thrown
> Obects are the ones allowed.

so no quick striking, no blunt/sharp weapons, no paired weapons and other?

i think an allowed talent listing would be useful
March 09, 2008 10:12AM
Daelon,

I listed the allowed combat talents allowed, now time for the weapon talents.

The only weapon talents, found in the UTL, that are not allowed, are paired weapons(As it does not give rules for exactly what this talnt does.) and fencing (Use sharp weaons instead)

Now as to other talents not allowed...

Alchemy (Unless taken as a mystic talent with mystic origin (30 points for the two))

Gadgetry and Identify Gadgets (Take engineering and repair-tinkering)

Weapons Tinkering (The talent not allowed..The power is negotiable)

Ok..Next question?
March 09, 2008 02:21PM
That really doesn't answer my question about Thor though or Asgard in general (since one doesn't have to be a deity or such to have some kind of legacy tie to Asgard), and I'm still not sure what the costs are from your wording in regards to having a unique weapon or item for the cost to have it. Charging by Material Strength for example would be prohibitively expensive.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Joe
March 09, 2008 03:30PM
I don’t know if I will be able to play, but here is one of my ideas for a character.

NAME: Joe Birch
HERO NAME: Spaghet T. Man
ORIGIN: Altered Human
IDENTITY: Secret
LEGAL STATUS: FDA approved
ALIASES: Silly Putty Buddy, Slinky, The Price of Pasta
PLACE OF BIRTH: Boston, MA
MARITAL STATUS: Single
KNOWN RELATIVES: None
BASE OF OPERATIONS:
PAST GROUP AFFILIATIONS:
PRESENT GROUP AFFILIATION:

STATS
()FIGHTING: Gd (10)
()AGILITY: Mn (75)
()STRENGTH: Gd (10)
()ENDURANCE: Gd (10)
()REASON: Ty (6)
()INTUITION: Ty (6)
()PSYCHE: Ty (6)

HEALTH: 105
()RESOURCES: Gd (10)
()POPULARITY: Ty (6)

TALENTS
Acrobatics
Martial Arts C

CONTACTS

POWERS (ORIGINAL)
Prehensile Hair: In (40)
Number of Actions: 3
Strength/Agility bonus: +2cs
Hair
S: Rm (30) A: SX (150)
Plasticity: In (40)
Anatomical Separation: Ex (20)

POWER STUNTS
Plasticity
Elongation: In (40)
Resistance to Blunt Attacks: In (40)
Shapeshifting: In (40)
Two-Dimensionality: Rm (30)
Anatomical Separation
Resistance to Edged Attacks: Ex (20)
WEAKNESS(ES)

HISTORY: Joe Birch had just graduated from high school (barely made it) when he started looking for work. He was given a job at the local chemical factory as a janitor. Trying to fit he worked extra hard to be the best janitor he could be. Around the same time Joe started there, the company was in the middle of its project to make a new and improved “Silly Putty”. Prolonged exposure to the “safe” waste by product of the new Silly Putty, altered Joe’s body giving him the powers of living Silly Putty. Joe decided to take his new found powers and start training to be the next superhero. Deciding to take an alias that would currently cause his foes to underestimate him, Joe choose the name Spaghet T. Man. More incredible then his new powers, is his almost unbelievable agility. Like trying to keep wet spaghetti on your fork, if STM does not wanted to be touched, good luck. Spaghet T. Man strikes fear (or at least gut wrenching laughter) with such battle cries as “Pasta Power”or “Leaping Linguine”. Villains beware, because STM is coming to your shelf soon.

SUMMARY
STATS: 140
TALENTS: 20
CONTACTS: 0
POWERS: 240
WEAKNESSES: 0
HISTORY POINTS: 0
TOTAL: 400
March 09, 2008 03:34PM
Nightmask,

Tell me what you were planning on trying, or what specifically you wanted to know and I will give more info. It all ties into my plotlines so some info is not available. Basically tell me what you want to play and I will tell you what you know.

Now as to Unique Weapon
-You buy the weapon via the point costs as I explained (Buy it by taking the Unique weapon power) and any power tied into the weapon/item you get for stunt cost. SO it gives you powers basically at 1/2 cost. With of course the problem that if you item is stolen/destroyed you dont have access to the related powers/abilities.
March 09, 2008 03:51PM
Well one of my considerations was someone a bit Thor-like after ending up finding one of those knock-off hammers Loki churned out for the final Ragnarok if that event happened, getting rebuilt as an Induced Mutant after picking it up and being remade by the residual magics it contained. No final Ragnarok and knock-off hammers no Asgardian legacy to pick up. Which is the Unique Weapon 'power' treated as a rankless power then, and would it be single or double-slot cost?

How would one cover non-conventional power stunt for such an item then, like automatic return?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 09, 2008 04:08PM
and how work those powers which have 'built-in powers' ?

i mean the shadowshaping 'includes' the resistance to shadow-based powers.
i must pay for it like a stunt or is it free as normal? because it's not 'bonus power' and not an 'optional power'.
March 09, 2008 09:48PM
Joe,

Very interesting character, but unfortunately, he is not a "Legacy" character, which I said was what everyone will be playing. Please put forth another idea.

Nightmask,

The final Ragnorok did happen, the knock-off hammers are not really an option though, sorry. Unique Weapon was in Lord Martin's Ultimate Addendas Addendum I believe. It is not a rankless power.

Daelon,

For those powers with built in powers, like illusion casting and shadow shaping, the inbuilt powrs are inlcuded. It is only optional powers and bonus powers that you have to buy, though at the cost of power stunts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 09:50PM by YOUR HUMBLE SERVANT.
March 10, 2008 12:41AM
OK..Here is another Legacy character..Yet another progeny..This time Hawkeye..His son turns out to be a mutant..

NAME: James Alexander Barton
HERO NAME: Archer
ORIGIN: Mutant, Random (Maturity)
IDENTITY: Public
LEGAL STATUS: Citizen of USA with no criminal record, still a minor.
ALIASES: Bow Boy, Hawkeye Jr.
PLACE OF BIRTH: New York, New York
MARITAL STATUS: Sinlge
KNOWN RELATIVES: Clinton Barton (Father), Marrissa Barton (Mother)
BASE OF OPERATIONS: New York
PAST GROUP AFFILIATIONS: None
PRESENT GROUP AFFILIATION: Avengers (Trainee..IE "Jr" Avenger)

DESCRIPTION
HEIGHT: 5'11"
WEIGHT: 199
EYES: Green
HAIR: Blond (Bleached)
SKIN: Caucasion (Tanned)

STATS
(04)FIGHTING: In-44
(04)AGILITY: In-44
(04)STRENGTH: In-44
(06)ENDURANCE: Am-46
(06)REASON: Ty-06
(06)INTUITION: Ty-06
(30)PSYCHE: Rm-30

HEALTH: 178
(05)RESOURCES: Gd
(00)POPULARITY: +0 / +0

TALENTS
(10)Bows: Am Skill

(10)Thrown Objects: Am Catch/Throw

(05)Trivia: Avengers: Gd

CONTACTS
(20)Avengers: Child of Hawkeye, Avenger in Training.

POWERS (ORIGINAL)
(60)Mind Blast: Psychic Arrows: Am
-Range: 20 areas

(50)Energy Conversion: Am
-Own Psychic Energy Only -10pts

(50)Energy Solidification: Am
-Own Psychic Energy Only -10pts

POWER STUNTS
(--)Plasma Generation: Mind Blast Conversion: In
-2cs (Ex) Sound and Electricity

(30)*Regeneration: Ex
-Slow and constant conversion of psychic energy to physical lifeforce.

(100)Hyper FASE: In
-Slow and constant conversion of psychic energy to physical lifeforce.

WEAKNESS(ES)
-None

HISTORY
-Child of Hawkeye and his 2nd wife. Mutant powers showed up when turned 13. In training to be an Avenger. (worth 0 points)

SUMMARY
STATS: 65
TALENTS: 25
CONTACTS: 20
POWERS: 290
WEAKNESSES: -0
HISTORY POINTS: -0
March 10, 2008 01:54AM
Here is another one for my game..WOLFSPIDER!

NAME: Jeffrey Kellog
HERO NAME: WolfSpider
ORIGIN: Mutant, Random (Maturity)
LEGAL STATUS: Citizen of USA with no criminal record.
ALIASES: None
PLACE OF BIRTH: New York, New York
KNOWN RELATIVES:
BASE OF OPERATIONS:
PAST GROUP AFFILIATIONS:

DESCRIPTION
HEIGHT: 5'11" / 6'
WEIGHT: 177 / 230
EYES: Brown / Blue
HAIR: Brown / Blond
SKIN: Caucasion
Notes: As Jeffrey he is slender but with a slight gut, crooked teeth, severe acne and wears glasses. As Wolfspider, he is proportioned like a proffesional athelete with movie-star looks (Rm Appearance) and "wears" a skintight costume of Yellow and Light Brown with a Black spider symbol on the torso with the first pair of legs going over his shoulders and down his back, while the second pair extend into stripes that go down his arms and stopped in the form of arrowhead shapes on the backs of his hands. The third pair of legs go around his sides to his back, connecting with the first pair of legs in a rough X pattern, while the fourth pair of legs extend down his legs on the sides in an almost racing stripe pattern. His mask has the "Spidey" reflective eye-pieces, but leaves his face from just under his nose to his jawline open as well as from just below the hairline, usually giving him a windswept look to his "surferboy" hair.

STATS
(10)FIGHTING: Rm-30
(06)AGILITY: Rm-26
(06)STRENGTH: Rm-36
(10)ENDURANCE: In-40
(10)REASON: Gd-10
(10)INTUITION: Gd-10 (Rm-30 Senses of Hearing/Smell/Touch/Low Light Vision)
(10)PSYCHE: Gd-10

HEALTH: 132
(03)RESOURCES: Ty-6 (Assistant Manager at Jiffey Mart)
(20)POPULARITY: +0 as Jeffry/+10 as Wolfspider (+Rm from Appearance) due to several "small time" hero actions.

TALENTS
(05)Trivia: Spider Man: Ex or current Popularity +1cs whichever is greater. This also applies to Spidey's "Rogues Gallery", Common Associates, and History. He is a true "Fan Boy".

(05)Performer: Wolfspider: Ex -Has pacticed his lines, actions, and mannerisms as Wolfspider so much that he almost seems a different person.

(05)Business-Finance: Ex -Has learned a lot in the two years he has been at Jiffey Mart. Has been considering merchendising options for Wolfspider when he eventually gets popular enough.

CONTACTS
(--)Business/Finance: Caroline Shyster, an accountant with Jiffey Marts corporate headquarters.

(10)Hero Group: Force Five : He is one of the founding members-All minor super beings.

POWERS (ORIGINAL)
(40)Shapeshifting: Rm

POWER STUNTS
(15)Hyper Fighting: Ex

(15)Hyper Agility: Ex

(20)Hyper Strength: Rm

(20)Hyper Endurance: Rm

(30)*Regeneration: Ex
-Heals 20pts every 15 turns (1 1/3pts / 1 turn)
-Red Feat to Regrow

(10)*Animal Mimicry: Ex
-Limited animal types (Reason rank/10+1) -20pts
-Starts off with 2 Animals available.
-Others would have to be stunted.

(30)*Animal Mimicry: Ex
-Activate secondary template at same time as primary template-

(10)Two Dimensionality: Gd
-Can use on all of self but normally only uses it on claws or missiles to give them a molecular edge. This allows him to penetrate physical defense as if it were -5cs, this does not increase damage, just makes more damage get through defense.

(20)Missile Creation: Rm
-Can form "Bullets" (Rm Blunt or Stunning) "Darts" (Rm Edged) or "Flechettes" (Ex Edged with Molecular Edge)
-Range of Missiles is 8 Areas Maximum
-Can incorporate other abilities into missiles to achieve various effects (Examples: Claws give Missiles Edged Damage, Chemical Touch gives various chemical effects, webcasting makes missiles that release "impact webbing" on contact, excetra... ) the max rank of any effect is that of the underlying power.
-Maximum # of Missiles per Hour is 30

(30)*Chemical Touch: Ex
-Can simulate/secrete chemicals at power rank with a range of either touch or missile creation range.

Spider Abilities
-Enhanced Senses: Circular Vision, Low Light Vision, Hypersensitive Touch.
-Defenses: Armor Skin/Body Resistance, Resistance to Toxins, Resistance to Radiation.
-Movement Abilities: Hyper Running, Spiderclimbing, Hyper Leaping, Gliding via Webs.
-Attacks: Webcasting, Natural Weaponry: Claws/Fangs, Venomous Bite.

Wolf Abilities
-Enhanced Senses: Hypersensitive Hearing, Hypersensitive Olfactory, Tracking.
-Defenses: Resist Cold.
-Attacks: Natural Weaponry: Teeth, Claws.

Notes:

He knows he can shapeshift into many more forms than Wolfspider, but he likes this one and if he could find a way to support himself while staying in it that was legal, he would give up any other identity than Wolfspider, unless he needed to change to solve an "Adventure". As it is, he rushes through his day as Jeffrey, just waiting for the chance to "Swing into Action" as Wolfspider.

Normally claws would come out of fingertips/pads, but due to shapeshifting they come out from between nuckles and extend upto 3 feet in length though damage and material str are not changed.

Webcasting and Missiles come out of his wrists just below the palms of his hands, just like Spideys webs.

WEAKNESSES
(-50)Energy Dampening-Incapacitation-Limited with Contact
-If powers negated, then suffers 1pt of damage a round for 1-100 rounds from physiological shock.

HISTORY
-A young mutant who was rescued from a fire by both Wolverine and Spiderman (they were in the area on different business.) Mildly obssessed with the two heroes he has remade himself in their images. (Worth 0 Points)

SUMMARY
STATS: 85
TALENTS: 15
CONTACTS: 10
POWERS: 240
WEAKNESSES: -50
HISTORY: -0
TOTAL: 300 (Or 350 if no Weakness)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 01:59AM by YOUR HUMBLE SERVANT.
March 10, 2008 08:57AM
What about quirks? Is that allowed?

Nothing in the game is too Xtreme
March 10, 2008 09:06AM
it was answered before, right here

it's the 2nd sentence from the end.

NickMan26 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about quirks? Is that allowed?
March 10, 2008 02:16PM
Thanks Daelon.
March 10, 2008 03:08PM
i'm glad i could help.

btw, you got my PM ?
i forgot to save for me and now i don't know if it was sent or not ... :S
Joe
Surround Sound
March 10, 2008 09:51PM
Is this more like what you were looking for?

NAME: Sean Joseph Madrox
HERO NAME: Surround Sound
ORIGIN: Mutant
LEGAL STATUS: Legal
ALIASES:
PLACE OF BIRTH: Boston, MA
KNOWN RELATIVES: James Arthur Madrox/Multiple Man (Father), Theresa Cassidy/Siryn (Mother), Sean Cassidy/Banshee (Grandfather), Tom Cassidy (Uncle)
BASE OF OPERATIONS:
PAST GROUP AFFILIATIONS:

STATS
FIGHTING: Ty (6)
AGILITY: Ex (20)
STRENGTH: Ty (6)
ENDURANCE: Gd (10)
REASON: Ty (6)
INTUITION: Ty (6)
PSYCHE: Ty (6)

HEALTH: 42
RESOURCES: Gd (10)
POPULARITY: 0

TALENTS
Physics - Acoustics

CONTACTS
Siryn (Mother) they are not very close.
POWERS (ORIGINAL)
Self-Duplication: Mn (75) 5 additional dupes. 6 including himself.
Vocal Control: Mn (75)

POWER STUNTS
Vocal Control
Sound Manipulation: Am (50)
Sonic Generation: Am (50)
Speech-Throwing: Am (50)
Hypnotic Voice: Am (50)
Carrier Wave (Sound): Am (50)

WEAKNESS(ES)

HISTORY: Sean is the child of Multiple Man and Siryn. Sean is named after his grandfather Banshee. He was brought up by his mother and had little contact with his father. Theresa keep him away from most other superbeings, wanting Sean to be brought up a normal as possible. Sean developed his sonic powers at a young age, being able to copy any sound or voice he heard. His mother reluctantly trained Sean in the use of his sonic abilities. It was not until his early teens that Sean developed his other power, that was a gift from his father. Sean struggled with the desire to be more then just “normal” and wanted to use his gifts to help others. With the added power to create his own gang of six, Sean took has decided to take the name of Surround Sound. Surround Sound wants to drown out the voices of evil with the sound of law and justice. Sean is a very conservative, honest, and hard working person. He wants very badly to fit in to a group and family.

SUMMARY
TALENTS: 5
POWERS: 320
March 10, 2008 11:52PM
Daelon,

Yep I got it and replied..Still looking over the character.

Joe,

Actually it is.Though I do have 2 minor problems with it.

#1-Your numbers are a tad off.
SUMMARY
TALENTS: 5
POWERS: 320 (385)
TOTAL: 400 (465-Over by 65pts)

POWERS (ORIGINAL)
(150)*Self-Duplication: Mn (75)
-Limited # of Dupes: 5 additional dupes. 6 including himself. -20pts
(85)Vocal Control: Mn (75)

POWER STUNTS
Vocal Control
(30)Sound Manipulation: Am (50)
(30)Sonic Generation: Am (50)
(30)Speech-Throwing: Am (50)
(30)Hypnotic Voice: Am (50)
(30)Carrier Wave (Sound): Am (50)

Total cost for powers: 385

#2-Honestly I am not sure I am willing to allow a character that has quite his lvl of power/abiliti\y. He can be in 6 places at once, and each has an Am attack (Indirect thanks to Speech Throwing) and Am mind control ability (Again indirect/concealable).

Rework the points to fit and I will consider the character.
Joe
March 11, 2008 11:20AM
So Self-Duplication is a two point power?

Is the background story what you are looking for? Would something like this get extra points, or would it take more detail?

A little problem I noticed when building a character like this is, let say I spend 40 points each on Fighting, Agility, Strength, & Endurance equaling a total of 160 points and giving me a total Health of 160. Then I want to make him a martial arts expert, so I take Martial Arts A-E + Wrestling, thus costing me 60 more points.
This cost me 220 to have...
F: In (40) H: 160
A: In (40)
S: In (40)
E: In (40)
Talents:
Martial Arts A-E
Wrestling
giving me a +1cs in most situations and a +3cs in the wrestling sitution.

It seems like it would be better to spent 75 points each on Fighting, Agility, & Strength and 40 points of Endurance equaling a total of 265 points and giving me a total Health of 265. I then skip the talents and get...
F: Mn (75) H: 265
A: Mn (75)
S: Mn (75)
E: In (40)
it cost me 45 points more, but I get a much better FASE, higher Health, and better results in most, if not all cases.

I think this is one of the major draw backs of using the point system. Any ideas or suggestions?

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.