OT: Passing of Gary Gygax

Posted by Redman II 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
OT: Passing of Gary Gygax
March 04, 2008 02:38PM
I know this isn't MSH related, but I'm sure a lot of us have fond memories of the D&D system...

[news.yahoo.com]

bows head respectfully in moment of silence

Quack, damn you...
Re: OT: Passing of Gary Gygax
March 04, 2008 02:44PM
Stepping back in for a moment, but you beat me to it.

This is actually very relevent, because TSR is the company he founded.
That company is the one that brought us Classic MSH, the game that
we all know and love--no matter our disagreements over it or our mods
to it. To say the least, it is the end of an era...

Gary Gygax journies to the Outer Planes...

Regards,

Niniri

March 04, 2008 02:47PM
Oh my god... a piece of gaming history is gone. He was truly a legend. I really hope there's a dedication piece put into D&D 4th ed in his honor and memory.

March 04, 2008 04:09PM
At the least a reference to him for the Hackmasters game since it's making use of the original ruleset he created rather than the 3rd edition stuff that was used to replace it.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 04, 2008 09:56PM
I agree with all of the above. HE truely is the grandfather of role-playing-games and a pretty good fantasy fiction writer.

he did have some drawbacks and personality conflicts( no point in listing them here ) but overall a simply a legend in the field.
March 04, 2008 10:14PM
Yup, heard about some of those less-then-desirable "personality quirks" but they don't change the fact that I, and we, owe him a great debt. He spearheaded a movement that has given my thousands of hours of imagintive play and fun and mental exercise and pleasure. He is an important man, and certainly an influential figure.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
Stray thoughts on Gary Gygax
March 05, 2008 09:25AM
I didn not actually know Gygax. In fact, I can't recall ever talking to him in any regard. By the time I was hired as a freelancer, Gygax was long departed for LA and Lorraine Williams had already completed her coup d'etat.
I had been reading his two Dragon columns for years and had a good time reading between the lines for clues into his personality. One got the impression of a man who was fiercely resentful of the way "his" game and the gaming world in general were rapidly growing past his control. Perhaps he saw himself as a George Lucas or a Stan Lee, the sole authority on a specific fantasy/media realm, the sole focus of all publicity and public awareness.

To go from poverty-stricken cobbler to proprietor one of THE pop culture events of the 70s-80s, with all the attendant riches and ego-boosting...... It was a very tasty apple.

Then there was that article in the local paper on Gygax's first wife, left along with their kids in Lake Geneva. That was the first time I'd learned Gygax had abandoned the Midwest in his Quixotic quest to turn his Dungeons & Dragons into a media empire. Again, the Stan Lee influence, as Lee had long abandoned NYC publishing for life as an LA TV producer.

Basically here was a guy, a member of the Working Poor, who had lucked onto a Golden Ticket. He was on his way to Fame And Fortune. Too bad it is often a short stay.....

Perhaps one can consider Gygax a middle-aged Icarus, riding the wings Dave Arneson and unnamed others had designed for him.

That first Gencon I attended on the company dollar was right after Lorraine's coup...... I was standing in the Milwaukee Hyatt lobby with my then-wife Karen and some TSR staffers. We looked over and there was Gygax pushing the baby stroller with his newest child, a child born of his LA dalliance. None of the TSR folk were willing to go talk to him, not even to say "Hi." Maybe they were afraid of being seeing by their new boss in the company of the old boss and thereby be marked as potential traitors. Maybe they were resentful of how Gygax had abandoned them and the company in his quest for his own amusement. Or maybe everyone had just grown so far apart there really was no point in saying anything.

March 06, 2008 04:24PM
*Stands shocked at the loss then slowly salutes the pasing of a man who pioneered his hobby for the past many years.*
March 06, 2008 09:56PM
He will be missed. Let's all roll our dice in honor of "He Who Rolled 1st"!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.