Marvel and minority characters

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Marvel and minority characters
March 03, 2008 06:39AM
Has Marvel been fair to minority characters of different races, creeds, and genders?

My comic book reading days ended in the early 1990’s. The early days of Marvel seem to reflect the lack of status ethic groups had in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

I believe new minority characters were introduced in the late 1960’s to 1970’s. The early black characters were Power Man who was portrayed as stereotypical street talker, and the Black Panther ( horrible name after a radical 60’s group? ), who was African jungle type of royalty. The ultimate shaft was Thunder Bird. He was portrayed a me hate em’ white man type ( I loved Thunder Bird’s potential ), and was promptly killed off after two issues. Women heroine’s were scarce in the 1960’s and 1970’s. Their popularity grew in the 80’s, but I suspect a reason why is because they were marketed in spandex suits with double D’ breasts.

I venture comic books have come a long way since, but are there any Asian, Jewish, Latino, Gay-Lesbian, or Arab, hero’s of significance in 2008?

The only true comic book star that I can think who is a minority is the Thing, who was Jewish tough Marvel only mentioned it once or twice.
Re: Marvel and minority characters
March 03, 2008 07:37AM
A difficult question to answer, since much of it depends on your opinion of the way a particular minority was depicted. Some might see a stereotype another a character meant to be an exception and a third what they expect to see.

For your examples of Luke Cage and Thunderbird both had just enough backstory to justify having a somewhat stereotypical appearance, and while somewhat ghetto Cage did have a brain and integrity, even after being betrayed and framed for drug trafficking and nearly killed by a racist prison guard. Many who went through what Cage did (and Thunderbird for that matter) would have likely ended up about the same personality-wise no matter their race, religion, or gender was.

Unfortunately how Marvel's handled alternative lifestyle and minority characters has varied wildly over they years and it's actually not better now. Northstar was very well handled in Alpha Flight with subtle hints and a 'why should I have to tell anyone my private business?' attitude then it was shredded and he was turned into the homosexual poster child in a big rediculous outing (driven insane by grief WWII super-hero decides he's going to murder an aids-infected baby because it was getting all sorts of outpourings of compassion while his homosexual child died of aids reviled by everyone for his lifestyle) and suffered character degradation as a result.

Often if they do bring in or introduce some character in a more minority position it can become either overly inflated in importance to that community so doing anything bad to it as happens in the comics is taken as 'hating on our group' or rediculed because 'we aren't like that you haters'. Freedom's Ring for example was a short-lived super-hero that the writer intended to kill off quickly to demonstrate that newbies are a good spot for cannon fodder due to inexperience (about like the C-list Fodder one independent comic line had in a group with massive turnover). Unfortunately he also happened to be written as homosexual so after getting killed off (quite understandably so when he's going up against an insane and even more evil version of Iron Man and advertises his power source) Marvel got backlash over it, when the writer was totally ignorant to the fact how it'd be interpreted by some.

A certain measure of trouble results from censorship and political correctness; it causes such characters to get picked over too much and complaints over the tiniest of flaws (it's often a deal where only straight white christian males are acceptable to depict as a whole in some unflattering or negative way) which results in them coming off flat or wrong in some fashion. A little too much effort to appease and not enough effort to risk being unique and disagreed with.

As far as members of such groups having any importance by this time of year the Thing is probably one of the few I know of, along with Black Panther and Falcon. Falcon in particular has a particularly diverse past, starting out a criminal until tampered with by the Red Skull using the Cosmic Cube and even when his original memories were restored he remained dedicated to helping the youth of his community. It's just unfortunate that they too often depict characters like him trying to only help his particular racial group instead of going out and helping everyone (much like Sharpton and Jessie Jackson only run around creating high-profile media events around any black kid who gets in trouble, even if he's got a record and the punishment was just, but you never hear these so-called great humanitarians rushing in to defend someone who's white but been wronged).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 03, 2008 09:14AM
Marvel has gotten better about it, but still has a long way to go.

The Black Panther I believe is the only Black solo hero to have his own book at this point in time. Luke Cage is actually the leader of an Avengers team, which, you know, good for Luke Cage, and he does still maintain his outlook on minorities not getting the protection they deserve from the superhuman community.

To answer Taarna's question though, there are quite a few minorities who have gotten the spotlight they haven't had before.

Asian characters who play significant roles in team books:
Wondra [New Warriors]
Surge [New X-Men]
Psylocke [Kind of, New Exiles]

Middle Eastern Decent:
Dust [New X-Men]

Latino:
Tempest [New Warriors]
Echo [New Avengers]

Gay/Lesbian:
Hulkling [Young Avengers]
Wiccan [Young Avengers]
Moondragon [Anihilation Conquest]
Quasar [Anihilation Conquest]

Jewish:
The Thing [Fantastic Four]
Kitty Pryde [Astonishing X-Men]
When Brian Michael Bendis writes him - Spider-Man

And Black heroes in particular have been given quite a few significant roles, like Luke Cage mentioned above, as does Patriot of the Young Avengers, Storm, and really one could find many examples over at the House of Ideas. Strangely though, try naming 10 black DC super heroes. A harder feat than you might imagine as the first black DC hero was John Stewart in the 70's...

March 03, 2008 09:34AM
Didn't Rage have a similar attitude with regards to minorities? Namely that superheroes didn't really do anything for the little people (although that's a common problem with people, they go 'hey why didnt you help ME?' and tend to ignore the fact that stopping that Doomsday weapon or alien invasion was for their benefit as well). That's even a sub-component of the Civil War and it's current status as the Initiative, where they're snatching up or creating every superbeing that they can to create a super-human army to police every inch of the country so normal humans don't have to ever do anything for themselves.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

March 03, 2008 10:01AM
Don't forget Storm, Forge, any of the Proudstars, and Patriot.

March 03, 2008 10:51AM
I think he was looking for the ones that weren't treated as stereotypes like the first Proudstarr was, which is why I didn't list American Eagle as he was done up VERY much the stereotype outfitting himself in full indian gear during the issue where he was introduced. A problem Red Wolf had as well (although at least he was an avatar for an Indian god so more justifiable than for American Eagle), walking the line between stereotype and unique character.

-- Peter David

March 03, 2008 11:06AM
Apocalypse, Spawn, Storm, Bishop, Night Crawler, Sunspot, Iron-Man’s body Guard (War Machine)

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
March 03, 2008 12:15PM
capocastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marvel has gotten better about it, but still has a
> long way to go.
>
> The Black Panther I believe is the only Black solo
> hero to have his own book at this point in time.
> Luke Cage is actually the leader of an Avengers
> team, which, you know, good for Luke Cage, and he
> does still maintain his outlook on minorities not
> getting the protection they deserve from the
> superhuman community.
>
> To answer Taarna's question though, there are
> quite a few minorities who have gotten the
> spotlight they haven't had before.
>
> Asian characters who play significant roles in
> team books:
> Wondra
> Surge
> Psylocke
>
> Middle Eastern Decent:
> Dust
>
> Latino:
> Tempest
> Echo
>
> Gay/Lesbian:
> Hulkling
> Wiccan
> Moondragon
> Quasar
>
> Jewish:
> The Thing
> Kitty Pryde
> When Brian Michael Bendis writes him - Spider-Man
>
> And Black heroes in particular have been given
> quite a few significant roles, like Luke Cage
> mentioned above, as does Patriot of the Young
> Avengers, Storm, and really one could find many
> examples over at the House of Ideas. Strangely
> though, try naming 10 black DC super heroes. A
> harder feat than you might imagine as the first
> black DC hero was John Stewart in the 70's...

Thanks Capo. I have not heard of Hulking, Wiccan, Dust, or Wondra. But like I said, it has been 15+ years since I bought comics!

I do recall one Arab villain that was pulled. He was an electronic type of villain who could transform his body to electricity. He battled the Fantastic Four when the Thing used to lead the team. There was a backlash against the character and I think he was never used again.

On the other side of the coin, it seems that minority villains are even rarer than the heroes’. Aside from Mandarin, can we name any minority villains of significance?
March 03, 2008 04:08PM
Mongoose, Doctor Doom, Lady Deathstrike, and Scrambler are all villains of minority status.

Oh yeah, Deathlok was a black guy but wasn't portrayed as stereotypical.

March 03, 2008 05:51PM
Prowler (African-American)
Anarchist (African-American)
Triathlon (African-American)
Sabra (Jewish)
Living Lightning (Latino)
Firebird (Latino)
Forge (Native American)
Puma (Native American)
Red Wolf (Native American).

There's a lot more, too...but I just wanted to add to the list....

The Rook
March 03, 2008 05:55PM
Let's see Minority villains that actually have played significant roles...

Dr. Doom - Gypsies have been oppressed pretty much throughout time.
Magneto - Jewish Holocaust Survivor
Apocalypse - African Nomad
Lady Deathstrike - Cyborg Assassin, Japanese Decent
Silver Samurai- leader of the Hand Ninja, Japanese Decent

There are actually a few examples from China, but they actually are agents for their government, so they're patriots, in a screwed up kind of way. Due to the cold war, there are a few examples of people labelled 'villains' because of their ties to communism and anti-american stance, though are probably no more villainous than a soldier.

There are also some examples that are kind of insulting or not really worth mentioning like Moses Magnum or Man-Ape. But the ones above have accomplished some big things and are from an oppressed minority group, though the japanese examples don't really face much oppression in their bases of opperations.

March 04, 2008 04:43AM
WTF!!!!!!!

I Didn’t read NO GOT’AM SCOTTS.....

Where’s the Fuggen Sha-Lay-Lay an Kiltz anna FUGGEN Bag-Pipes!!!!!!!!!

OIL-B-FOOKED!!!!

.....Now, Fuggen spit the Whisky in the Wound...... Make it all betta Now!!!!!!!

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
March 04, 2008 08:20AM
Hate to be nit-picky, but Anarchist is dead, and all of the others aren't currently featured in any ongoing marvel titles.

March 08, 2008 10:08AM
Cloak, of "-and Dagger" fame.
Prodigy, from the New X-Men/New Mutants/whatever they're called this week.
Anole, also from New X-Men, is gay.
The dearly departed Synch from the glad-it's-gone Generation X.
Monica Rambeau/Captain Marvel/Photon, currently leads the NextWave Squad.
Dani Moonstar/Mirage, now de-powered but factoring in the Initiative title.
M, the alumnus of Generation X and current member of X-Factor.
Victor Mancha/Victorious from the Runaways, is technically an android but appears and was raised as a Latino teenager.
Nico Minoru/Sister Grimm is an Asian sorceress in the Runaways.
Karolina Dean/Lucy In The Sky is a lesbian alien energy being in the Runaways.
Phat and Vivisector, from X-statix, were gay, just not for each other.
Karma, formerly of the original New Mutants, is both Asian and a lesbian.
Mystique can *be* anyone, raising all sorts of potential issues on race. She and Destiny had a thing.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.