Website problems (this is not a flame)

Posted by Bracey 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Website problems (this is not a flame)
February 23, 2008 12:42AM
Ive noticed a lot of complaining recently about the site slow down and log on difficulties and such. Now I understand your frustration, I do. Everyday I go online I come by this site for a while. The only real trouble of course are the forums, the slowdown here is terrible or they dont work at all. So I understand, This website revived my intrest in playing MSH, and I am very grateful for the obvious amount of time and effort that has been put into creating and maintaining this site, and so to that end I would request that people stop compaining, stop saying "hey go to this site its better) and instead offer some solutions.

Know anything about coding? Give Aunt Petunia a heads up on the problems you see and how to fix them. Heck offer to work on the site. Know anyone who is a computer whiz, get their oppinion or see if Auntie would like theirs. Make a paypal donation, Im sure even $5 would help. The point is I really really like this site, and I want to see it continue. So if you have critcism at least try to be constructive eh. This site was created to help keep a great game alive, not for any personal gain (after all everyting here is free). So return the favor and keep it allive.

Bracey
Re: Website problems (this is not a flame)
February 23, 2008 08:17AM
Actually the past day or so this site has been loading like quicksilver... whatever you did Aunt P, thanks! :)

February 23, 2008 12:51PM
Okay Bracey, I'm sure those complaining would love to give their two cents on helping to fix the issue, but, the issue at them moment is... THEY CAN'T LOG ON to even make helpful suggestions. One can't have help when none are able to help.

So, on another forum, we figured it's a xml issue. There, advice given. Now we are waiting to see some freak'n results already on fixing the matter.

This site is losing more and more members and I'm pretty sure it's turning into a permenant thing the longer it continues. Those lost feel that they've been either abandond or outcast due to the issue not being fixed or even acknowledged. So, who faults that, not the communtiy. To make it clear to you. They are complaining about that lack in resolving and/or acknowledgement of the issue on Aunt P's part. No announcement of the issue being acknowledge or announcement of it being taken care of is what breaking down the loyalty to this site. Some form of announcement would be nice. It would show that someone gives a damn about the community. I speak for those lost. I'll be damn to be silent about it until I'm heard.

Punstarr, I'm glad that things are running smoothly for you my friend.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"
February 23, 2008 07:08PM
That is funny. I've always had slow load times on this forum. Can't say I've noticed it being any worse since the website was upgraded. Sometimes the forum loads right away and sometimes it take so long that the connection gets dropped. That just happened before I loaded this page. But, all in all I can't say I know what all the trouble is for the other members. It seems to be having an effect on just a set number of people. It does still need to be fixed though. If I knew something about it I would jump right in and help. I'm hosting my personal website with Host Monster and it works great for me. Perhaps it is time for Auntie to get a new provider.

If that sounded stupid it's because I know next to nothing about how these things work.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 24, 2008 12:08AM
Okay Bracey, I'm sure those complaining would love to give their two cents on helping to fix the issue, but, the issue at them moment is... THEY CAN'T LOG ON to even make helpful suggestions. One can't have help when none are able to help.

Hey, like I said this wasnt a flame...toward anyone really. I just hate to see forums degenerate into flames and complaints with no solutions. And if the forums dont wrk there is always email to express concerns. Also someone was able to log on to complain about it.

So, on another forum, we figured it's a xml issue. There, advice given. Now we are waiting to see some freak'n results already on fixing the matter.

Thats a very valid point, and onestly I wasnt aware that was the case, so I definately defer to you on that one.

This site is losing more and more members and I'm pretty sure it's turning into a permenant thing the longer it continues. Those lost feel that they've been either abandond or outcast due to the issue not being fixed or even acknowledged. So, who faults that, not the communtiy. To make it clear to you. They are complaining about that lack in resolving and/or acknowledgement of the issue on Aunt P's part. No announcement of the issue being acknowledge or announcement of it being taken care of is what breaking down the loyalty to this site. Some form of announcement would be nice. It would show that someone gives a damn about the community. I speak for those lost. I'll be damn to be silent about it until I'm heard.

I'll also agree that some form of adress should have been made concrening the issue. But I do think feeling abandoned is a bit strong, but thats just they way I feel about it. Since I joined up here (and I lurked along time before I started posting) Ive noticed this site has always been slow. I just took that as being its a busy place...probably eating up a lot of bandwidth.

The last few days have been unussually bad though but I knew some sort of revamp/upgrade was going on so I wasnt too concerned, but with all that siad I still agree with you that something should have been posted to let us know that the site would be buggy for a spell, and if people are leaving Im sorry to hear it but I for one will be here as long as the site remains. Its still the best resource out there (IMO) for the classic MSH game well all love.

Lastly Punstarr is right, this sucker is running fast and smooth currently, let hope it stays that way!
February 24, 2008 12:30AM
Maybe Aunt Petunia is not able to log in anymore. ;-)

God makes man. Man make machine. Machine locks man out of his website.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 24, 2008 02:51AM
Well, I agree that the idea of the lost members feeling abandoned or outcasted as a bit extreme but I was merely repeating their feelings since they are unable to logon to post for themselves. I'm not flaming you Bracey, text is merely 9% of the conversation and can be missunderstood. AND they've emailed with near a whisper from the Admin. Except for one who was told nothing was wrong, brilliant. Yeah, tell that to the 30 lost on [skycutter.webs.com] , as if. And the sky is pink folks, honest.

I personally don't like the update, for it prevented me from accessing my original account. Aunt P felt less inclined to fix it and expressed it clearly on open forums for all to see, all because I expressed my opinion about the stinking update. So the update stinks, Aunt P needs to get over it, it's just an opinion for Pete's sakes.

One, It's my right to make an opinion. Two, I can care less if he doesn't EVER fix my account anymore. Hell, I haven't brought that up since I figured it wasn't going to get done anyways and didn't repeat anymore about it until Nightmasked mentioned it again earlier. So to make it clear, to hell with the account. I really can care less. Delete my damn old account already, whoopi doo. This place is turning to hell anyways.

My main concern is for the lost members of this community and they asked me to help, it's the only reason why I'm bothering to post anymore. I'm doing this particularly for five members who wished to return but can't logon because someone thinks nothing is wrong. So, I've been pointing out quite clearly that others cannot logon. If Aunt P wants to ignore them because of me, well, that'll hurt my character none and Aunt P would lose five more dedicated members.

I merely want to help the five members return and tell Aunt P that they cannot logon.

Hell, I'll even leave this site completely if Aunt P would actually fix the damn thing. I'm so getting tired of repeating myself. It's like trying to convince someone that duck-n-cover doesn't work vs. an A-Bomb and I'm beginning to believe it's practically on the same level of understanding.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 02:58AM by RAGNARoK.
Re: Answers to the Question to the Website problems (this is not a flame).
March 01, 2008 02:55PM
I would like to set the record straight on the website problems. I work for one of the largest computer software companies on the east coast, the problem is not really a script issue (maybe 5% of the problem is in that area). The real problem is a SERVER ISSUE, Classic Marvel.com uses GO Daddy.com and at this time the load-bearing on the serve is heavy when members with High Speed Internet connections are on this site at one time (90% of the problem is here)! The other 5% is with your on IP connection or Cache issues on your own computer. Now for my friend The Skycutter, he has followed this site unregistered for about 3yrs, and 1.5 yrs as a registered member. He has the highest respect for Aunt_Petunia and the Classic Marvel.com Community!! He has opened his on site forum up to help those who are having problems at this time with Logging on here at this site, that is all! Once all the issues here on this site are resolved it is the hope that those members will return to this site, if they so choose. One other good point that was brought up by The Last Duskblade, is that Aunt_Petunia may not be able to log on himself do to the server issue and his IP address location in Australia. As of late the connection time to this site has improved by leaps and bounds, that is also how I was able to log on after 3 weeks of not being able to (I do not have high speed connection over 128 kbps). I hope this answers a lot of the questions that are going around on this site. (tu)

P.S.
Beware the GINZU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 02:58PM by Venger.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.