Yahoo! Presents: Superman versus a Jedi Master

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Some of my thoughts
February 16, 2008 06:10PM
It might be more appropriate to consider the light saber as an energy field similar to a monomolecular-edged weapon, using the rules for such under the Two-Dimensionality power. Simply have the material it can slice through be based on the Psyche of the owner of the light saber which would still allow for cutting through some impressive materials and let the cutting ability vary depending on the skill/Psyche of the wielder instead of a blanket damage range.

Either way it's unlikely that a Light Saber could cut Superman, and even if it could it wouldn't be taking off limbs. Every cell in his body produces a protective energy field that overlaps and merges with every other cell's field to cover why he's so resistant to energy and physical attacks, and would resist the energy of a Light Saber like he does any other energy.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 16, 2008 06:12PM
She's absorbed magical skills and abilities in the past (Don't get more magical than Juggernaut after all, and she absorbed the spell-casting ability and knowledge of Forge's mentor), so whether Jedi are magical or get powered up by some funky bacteria in their blood she could temporarily absorb it.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 16, 2008 06:35PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bracey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah but my whole little senario was never
> about
> > game mechanics. It was purely my imagination
> based
> > on observations. I whole agree that a
> lightsaber
> > has no chance of actually hurting Superman but
> > recall that for the sake of the fight I said
> >
> > "Lets assume a lightsaber enhanced by the force
> > can cut/kill Superman"
> >
> > Key word here is assume. That was said to even
> > make the fight possible. Now if you look at
> > everything a jedi can do in either the films or
> > the MSH game vs everytthing Superman can do in
> the
> > comics or the MSH game and go purely by that
> then
> > there isnt even a fight. Supes walks up and
> just
> > grabs the saber by its blade and tosses it into
> > space.
> >
> > Case closed.
>
> But that's exactly my point... the fight isn't
> fair at all, even if a lightsaber could hurt
> Superman, because Superman is so unbelievably
> powerful that he's boring as hell. You stated
> before that Jedi can see the future to avoid
> incoming attacks. I believe it's like what Wizard
> magazine said about a fight between the
> Flash/Superman and Professor X. "Knowing the
> Flash or Superman are 1/1000th of a nanosecond
> from clocking you isn't going to do you much good.
> Say goodnight, Chuck". I didn't mean to offend,
> I just don't the fight is even remotely even.

Well one generally runs into such problems when trying to combine relatively incompatible universes. In Yu Yu Hakusho by the end of the series he's evolved into one of the probably top 10 most powerful beings in the context of that universe but he'd be a wimp in comparison to Goku or Vegeta from Dragonball Z, especially later into the series by the time Super Saiyan and up transformations were available. You can't reasonably combine/compare the two if you try and keep each inside the absolute power levels of their respective universes, and even scaled down in many cases the one is still seriously more powerful (like the scaled-to-fit version of Superman and other DC characters for the Marvel game; I mean seriously a Green Lantern can destroy a Black Hole with sufficient willpower, something Kyle and Hal were capable of at a minimum). On the other hand the Star Trek/X-Men crossover had things on a more level playing field (although Jean Grey probably could have handled Gary Mitchell without too much trouble).

> Now for a more interesting fight, I'd like to see
> a Jedi Master vs a team of X-Men...
>
> Say, Wolverine, Beast, Jean Grey, Bishop, Rogue,
> Gambit and Cyclops. Would they stand a chance?

Considering that'd be a 7-to-1 match-up I'd rate the Jedi as the loser fairly handily. The X-men routinely handle (albeit pushing it) people like Magneto and I don't rate a Jedi matching his levels of power. He'd have to handle long-ranged attacks from Cyclops and Gambit while Bishop would likely be absorbing his energy blade if struck by the Light Saber, Wolverine would be coming in close with deadly intent, Beast would be bouncing around to distract him, Jean Grey would be attacking his mind directly, and Rogue would be trying to drain his powers (something he wouldn't even have a concept of to watch out for).

-- Peter David

February 16, 2008 11:55PM
Actually I'm sure a Jedi Master's personality would easily assert control of Rogue should she try absorbing it.

February 17, 2008 07:36AM
Heh what a LIVELY discussion this ended up being eh?:D

Hey Duskblade, I was never upset or angry I was just trying to clear things up for my point of view on the whole thing. Plus my version makes for a more interesting story than the whole "unstopable Superman" senario. Peraps the best way to view this is animated Superman vs animated Yoda. Animated Supes is definately far more vulnerable to damage than ole comic book Supes. Like Punstarr said, he's so pumped up now that he's boring, I mean jeez you got to bring in a pre-crisis Superboy to pose a threat. The years after the crisis were so much better, back when DC "Marvelized" their characters by bringing their power down to remotely acceptable levels. DC's tendency to have overly powerful characters is the whole reason Ive ALWAYS prefered Marvel.

Jedi vs X-Men...unless its Mace Windu or Yoda the Jedi loses here. I know jedi can fight large numbers and all, but the variety of X-mens powers plus all the intensive training as individuals and as a team make them very successufull against opponents far more powerful than the are individually or even as a whole at times. Still if anyone is interested I'll write up another story forthat battle and we can discuss it.

Just say the word.
February 17, 2008 08:29AM
Heck yeah, go for it man. I still enjoyed your other story after all. :)

February 17, 2008 02:59PM
Bracey,

Just making sure man. With all the outrageous flaming and misunderstanding on the boards this year, I wanted to make sure you knew there was no disrespect. I'd rather be safe then sorry. Know what I mean?

Oh, yeah dude. Do a battle write-up for the the X-Men vs. a Jedi Master. That would be sweet.

Now we should also consider the difference between the X-Men fighting a single Jedi Master.....or a team of Jedi Knights. If there are as many Jedi as there are X-men.....do you feel the same way about the victor?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 17, 2008 07:51PM
Duskblade completely understandable, but just so everyone knows Im 39 and way to old for that kindergarden crap. I sure do hate to see a thrad degerate into that nonsense.

Perhaps I'll write up two stories, lone jedi and band of jedi vs the x-men.
February 17, 2008 08:51PM
Sweet! Can't wait man.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 17, 2008 09:27PM
Hopefully all that's over and done with and we can get back to not having to walk on eggshells around one another and just discuss things without people assuming disagreements are attacks.

A team of Jedi would be like the X-men against a team of villains like the Mauraders, where which side has the best team tactics and cohesiveness grants the edge. The Mauraders were powerful but didn't work enough together as a team to win out in the end, and a team of Jedi that didn't work well together would fall just the same.

-- Peter David

Re: The Fight!!!!
February 18, 2008 02:00PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meh. Superman is far more powerful than you give
> him credit for. Just like the Jedi aren't as
> powerful as you seem to think. Superman's speed
> exceeds what the Jedi can achieve by multitudes...
> and when you're as strong as Supes, having that
> kind of speed is a ridiculous advantage. The Jedi
> can't react to near Flash level speeds... so Yoda
> or Palpatine or whoever wouldn't even have time to
> register they're being attacked before they're hit
> and down.
>
> You obviously put a lot of time and effort into
> that post, but I disagree with your stance.

Jedi can see things a split second before they happen and can enhance their own reflexes by using the force. According to a Star Wars Book, Obi Wan Kenobi could block 12 attacks by General Grevious in a second. IMO, this is fast enough.

According to this web site, a light saber cuts though anything below shift X-Matieral. What is superman's natural body armor? As tough as Superman might be, even I don't think he could win if he lost his head or torso.

In addition, Superman is vulnerable to magic. How much of a jedi's power as magic related? I think some of them are.

I think the battle comes down to who lands what first. Superman from a distance wins easy, but up close it could be pick em'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 02:01PM by Taarna.
February 18, 2008 02:56PM
Except that Superman's speed is so much faster than what you're talking about. Superman has near Flash level speed... it's like comparing a bullet's speed to the speed of light. Sure a bullet is fast, but it's nothing compared to the speed of light. A Jedi has great reflexes, perhaps even enough to react to Star Wars energy blasts (which move slower than to the same speed of bullets if you go by the movies) but Supes or the Flash would clock them before they even had time to react. If Superman wanted to, he could move so fast you can't even perceive him with the naked eye.

February 19, 2008 03:02AM
But Jedi's are trained not to use/trust their eyes to fight. Muwhahahahaha! This debate can go one forever...FOREVER I say!!!! Muwhahahahaha!!!!
February 19, 2008 11:12AM
Whether they can sense an attack coming or not, their bodies can't move fast enough to do anything about it.

February 20, 2008 12:52AM
Even if a Jedi could sense the attack they cannot make they're bodies move faster. They can only move sooner. So in that way a Jedi who perceived Superman's attack early on would be wise to relocate to another system, and fast. Because otherwise all those Force guided senses are going to do, is tell them that they are dead ahead of time. Even if they could dodge the first strike by virtue of moving sooner, the second strike would do them in. Eventually Kal El gets the win.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 23, 2008 12:37AM
Earlier in this conversation someone mentioned that the Force might be considered magical in Marvel terms. If that is the case, then Superman might be screwed. Just think of a vastly powerful Force style wizard like Yoda tearing him apart by using one of his weaknesses against him.

I'm of the opinion that it is not magical, but it does raise and eyebrow. I've always though of the Force as more of an energy manipulation. Including some of the psionic elements, and attribute increases as power stunts.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.