Was Captain America the first substance abuser? My newspaper claims he was.

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Was Captain America the first substance abuser? My newspaper claims he was.
February 13, 2008 08:56PM
You're sorta missing my point -- "it's steroids and radiation" is as much rubber band comic book pseudoscience as "it's a virus that re-writes his genetic code." They're both equally implausible (from a Real World Perspective).

And there were at least two people active at that time who would indeed have those DNA rewriting capabilities -- the High Evolutionary and Sinister. Sinister worked with the Nazis during WW II, and some of his labs were raided by American forces and used in the Weapon Plus Program (of which Operation: Rebirth was a part), so it is possible that Cap's SS Serum is based in part on that research.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 09:01PM by Dr Archeville.
February 14, 2008 07:41AM
Well as long as it's marvel zombies, Steve Rogers could always be captain america.

February 14, 2008 02:18PM
Marvel authors should just make Cap’n’ America as a genetically engineered Government test tube baby with Induced Human Mutations, A freak accident which can’t be repeated…… And his ‘Power’ is unfettering Peak Human abilities….

And his life expectancy pushed way out since he has mild regeneration…..

He should also carry a gun….. And his shield has all his credentials built in, such as his Top Secret level 9 billion Clearance codes; allowing the shield to be used as his ‘Keys’ to any Military assets he may need….

And maybe a few micro chips under the skin so the shield can only be used by Cap’n’ America in this way….

I mean another goober can use the Shield as a conventional weapon….. But Cap’n’ America has to hold the Shield to crank up a Top Secret “Metal Gear” Robot or something like that……

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
February 14, 2008 04:42PM
Captain America doesn't have any Regenerative abilities, at best he's got the recuperative abilities one would expect of someone with peak human Endurance and no more.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 14, 2008 05:41PM
I'm not saying which one I believe, but he's been statted on this site numerous times as having mild regen... so it may still be up for debate.

February 14, 2008 05:55PM
Something I've no idea where anyone gets the idea of it from, unless it's power creep. Which would be ironic with so many arguing that Cap's 'totally normal human' in spite of the SS-Serum and surviving decades in a block of ice to declare he can regenerate. At best we'v seen that for a short period he had Super-Strength (somewhere around Incredible I think) so if anyone saw regeneration it was either a writer's mistake or a short-term thing.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 14, 2008 07:17PM
Almost every stat page I’ve ever seen of Cap’n’ America had mild ‘Regeneration’ as his one True Power over and above normal humans…. I guess the authors wanted to ensure readers that he didn’t have to exercise 20 hours a day for athletic maintenance to retain Peak Human abilities……

For gaming purposes the Regen was totally useless… It’s way to slow to even notice in combat…. But for hospitalization or medical care the Regen suggested he could recover to FULL potential…..

Unlike a Normal Human who would become paralyzed or permanently disabled….

February 14, 2008 07:25PM
Was Cap the first substance abuser?

Well, to avoid quibbling over semantics the question might be rephrased to something like, "was Cap subject to a performance enhancer?". Yes. The SS Serum was a performance enhancer. Steroid, virus, regular dosings, pathological dosings, no matter.

Is Stever Rogers the only Captain America?

If so, Captain America is dead. A flash in the pan that is no more and never shall come again. Must suck to be American if not another single citizen can ever hope to embody the America ideal.

Should Cap.America carry a gun?

It certainly isn't at all out of character for a guy presuming to call himself Captain AMERICA and considered to be the, errr, "living" embodiment of America values; to say nothing of the kinda guys Cap faces off against.

Does Cap have some low level form of regenreation?

All humans do. If we are cut, it will eventually get better if given some due attention. Cap undoubtedly bounces back alot faster than the average person, given the state of physical perfection conferred by the SS Serum. But does he have a superhuman degree of regeneration? Not that I've ever heard of.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
February 14, 2008 07:50PM
Are those fan stat pages? I ask since all the official material I've seen for him has never suggested he regenerates even to a mild degree, otherwise we wouldn't have references to his physical scars from time to time (even if we never actually see them). I've never seen anything to suggest he even mildly regenerates or heals outside human norms (albeit at the peak healing rate a human can manage due to his physical perfection).

Game-wise healing faster is never useless. Too many have been spoiled by the Regeneration Man levels of regeneration Wolverine's been amped up to and haven't seen what levels he used to heal at, which while good didn't allow for recovering all his lost health in seconds or minutes but took hours instead. Luke Cage/Power Man had Poor (3) rank Regeneration clearly listed in his write-ups, so he heals three times faster than a normal human and I doubt he'd complain about such a rapid recovery rate as being too slow.

The average character requires nearly a week to recover from losing all his health or even a significant amount of it, getting back to full health in hours or just a day is a serious step up.

-- Peter David

February 14, 2008 08:02PM
I think that's one of the quibble points, confusing the SS-Serum's improvements to physical capabilities with compounds that have detrimental physical influences while perhaps at first giving some improvement to physical abilities. The SS-Serum isn't something Captain America takes on a regular basis and would suffer detrimental side-effects if cut off from it or from overuse. Hourman on the other hand, after the retcons, IS a substance abuser after they added in the unhealthy side-effects to the Miraclo formula.

While there isn't anything against people trying to aspire to the ideals of Captain America the idea of only one person being a true embodiment of certain ideals doesn't mean others can't aspire to it, they just can't reach the heights that the icon can. Someone being an embodiment of war for example doesn't mean you can't have others try their best to be, they just don't succeed at reaching that status.

I don't tend to think of carrying a gun something one aspires to as part of the american ideal. Guns are a thing, not an ideal to aspire to having, used for protection and little more than the step up from using a knife, crossbow, or axe for defense. Trying to exemplify american ideals doesn't mean you're required to carry guns to 'be american'.

-- Peter David

February 14, 2008 08:31PM
The NRA says guns are America... so it must be true. 8-)

February 14, 2008 09:42PM
And we know how everyone needs an AK-47 or a LAW for all there personal security needs.

-- Peter David

February 14, 2008 11:57PM
It is a "point of quibble". The super-solider serum is a man-made compound geared toward inducing unnatural physical gains in the user. Whether such a substance is used once or needs to be used many times is irrelevant.

Regarding the unhealthy side-effects; according to Stark's files in the Civil War crossover, Captain America is the only subject of the super-solider experiment that didn't ultimately come to suffer from some form of mental pathology.

In the end, while Cap might not have been an *abuser* by any means, he did take a substance that raised his physical condition to levels he would never have been able to attain without it. Just like the juice-jockey down at the gym, in the NBA or in the Olympics.

Given the absurdity of calling Cap a substance abuser as is, I guess the real question would be a What If. What if the effects of the SSS were tempororary? Would Mr.Idealism be able to just walk away from it? Knowing that it gave him the ability to make a difference? Knowing how important it was to him to be able to make a difference?

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 12:01AM by Powersurge.
But hey.... what about that Bat-guy?
February 15, 2008 12:06AM
Seriously. As idealistic as Rogers might have been, Batman was obsessed with building himself into the perfect crime-FIGHTER.

Anyone think that maybe Bruce Wayne might be on the juice? Afterall, ever see a vertical like Batman's? From a white guy???

Re: But hey.... what about that Bat-guy?
February 15, 2008 01:56AM
Well.... This whole topic reflects back to the “Who Could You Beat” Topic.....

Captain America was getting out classed by every spandex cape clad hero and villain....... So the authors have to justify how he can hang with Characters greatly exceeding his capabilities.......

I mean, everyone who reads this particular Forum knows Cap’n’ America is able to scrap with some gnarly Characters....... With only his Peak Human abilities....

But when people read the Data / Info / Statistics / Comics / and Cartoons, from all sorts of sources, Cap’n’ America is nothing more than a measly Human......... A goody-two-shoes boy scout ‘Human’ at that.....

And that’s why other ‘Human’ Characters are portrayed as being able kick Cap’n America’s Azz........ All these other Characters use ‘Lethal’ Force at the drop of a hat.......

And there is Cap’n’ America in Bright POWDER blue, Bright Red, and Clean White..... With just a ‘Shield’...... How’s this guy gonna beat anyone unless he has some hidden ‘Powers’???.....

I mean; IF Captain America is supposed to be the ‘Icon’ of American Society.... He looks a lot more like Homer Simpson now...... Fat Stressed Out Greasy Couch Potato Drunk off his azz in a dead end measly brain dead job, drawing Well Fare Checks, paying alimony to some haggard floozy and two undisciplined brats, living in a Roach infested Ghetto Azz apartment with Zero control over his own damn destiny......

Wings Clipped, Talents Blunted, Eyes Blinded, and Balls Neutered....... Strength and Independence Frayed......

And he’s supposed to be the Icon of American Society.......

Fuggen makes me want to vomit........

And we have to consider American Society of the 40’s and 50’s...... Captain America was the ‘SHIX’ back then..... Pure, Vulnerable but still Strong, Realistic, Defensive and Passive to a fault, Smart, Gentle, and Most of all Independent......... He needed help from no one to accomplish his goals.... With nothing more than his God given ‘Humanness’.................. WTF happened to that mentality????!!!!!

Now.... Cap’n’ America needs Guns, Help, Dope, Mutant DNA, Government Clearance, and he has to be Dark, Bitter, Angry, and his Purity totally lost.........

So yea.... Captain America took some dope due to peer pressure..... He’s more strung out than Crack Addict.....

February 15, 2008 02:43AM
I think it's been established that the SS-Serum requires that radiation bath to stabilize it (or otherwise finish the modification process) and without it the brain can't handle the influence of the straight serum and develops mental problems. Of course that leaves the question as to can you actually just undergo psychological care and be 'cured' of whatever mental problems you develop. While Nomad/Bucky II was supposedly cured after the death of the fifth Captain America it seems like it'd be impossible to permanently cure him without the appropriate radiation treatment, something no one existing knows. Either that or perhaps a transfusion with the stabilized version that Captain America has (Arnim Zola and Karl Malus might also be able to fix such problems, given their own backgrounds).

They've already done a similar what-if, having him as the only one empowered by the original formula sacrificing its improvements permanently in order to produce a so-called cure to eliminate the defective temporary version that's been addicting the country. Frankly I felt it was too anvillicious and done solely to respond to the erroneous flack that developed when people suddenly started saying Cap was some kind of drug abusing user instead of the recipient of a medical treatment to undo all of his physical frailities. Similar to the changes done to Bucky III/Battlestar when an obscure use of the word Bucky was brought up and prompted an entire storyarc to his changing his super-ID when almost nobody even knew the term existed and even if they did it was a stretch to compare it to a racial slur given the origin of the name was as a legacy character.

-- Peter David

Re: Captain America the first substance abuser? My newspaper claims he was.
February 15, 2008 02:53AM
Taarna, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson was actually the first true substance abuser! The Definition of 'substance abuse' - The overindulgence in and dependence on an addictive substance, especially alcohol or a narcotic drug. So was Captain America a substance abuser, NO! I hope you inform your newspaper they are incorrect on both Captain America and the defintion of substance abuse. How very sad, what some people do to sell a few lousy newspapers!! B!)-

The Skycutter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 03:02AM by SKYCUTTER.
Re: But hey.... what about that Bat-guy?
February 16, 2008 10:44AM
I don't think that either the US ARmy, who gave Rogers the SSS, or the Invaders were no one.

As an individual that was peak human in ALL physical areas, unhinder by size/weight/build restrictions, Cap was NEVER merely human. His ability to operate at peak levels definitely qualified him, right from the get go as superhuman.

Still, that admittedly doesn't mean all that much when in the company and going up against threats worthy of guys like Thor and Iron Man.

I think that the one quality that always defined Cap, made him admirable even for a nonAmerican like me, was his fighting spirit and keen sense of reliance on his fellow man... or god... or alien... or mutant... which made him possibly the single best leader in the Marvel Universe. "United we stand, divided we fall". Cap would go it alone if he had to of course, because SOMEONE had to, but you really don't get to see Cap's greatest strengths outside of a team setting.

But yeah, Cap on his own is like.... any person on their own.... a step away from being bear food. And the one greast thing about Cap that sets him apart from the powerhouses he hangs with is the utter lack of the "Im-an-island-to-myself" mentality. Without THAT Cap wouldn't be Cap.

I don't think that Cap ever vanished. Didn't like him too much during Civil War personally, but Cap will always been one of my top 3 or 4 comicbook superheroes.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.