Was Captain America the first substance abuser? My newspaper claims he was.

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Was Captain America the first substance abuser? My newspaper claims he was.
February 13, 2008 05:11AM
Was Captain America the first substance abuser? Exactly was in this super solider formula? Could it be viewed as modern day HGH, Steroids, and such? Also I read that Captain America is going to carry a gun? I hope my newspaper is wrong.
Re: Was Captain America the first substance abuser? My newspaper claims he was.
February 13, 2008 06:07AM
Actually, it was a simple case of (Super-)steroids, originally. Which is why Marvel retconned the SS Serum into a retrovirus that affected him on a genetic level in the 90s (in part due to the War on Drugs, and in part b/c any traditional drug would've been metabolised out of his system after a few months).

The new Cap -- Bucky "Winter Soldier" Barnes -- will indeed be carrying a gun.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 13, 2008 07:12AM
I'm not sure the SS-Serum really qualified as a steroid, super or otherwise. It in combination with a particular radiation treatment effectively caused rapid tissue growth and development (the radiation meant to stabilize the process), ending with a permanent enhancement to the physical body. Given the era involved it's an implausible retcon to call it some kind of virus when we didn't even have enough understanding of viruses to treat Polio at the time. To have it always remain in his body it's more fitting to consider it a mutational compound that rewrote his cells so that they naturally produced it or certain organs in his body (the bone marrow for example) changed to produce the serum to maintain the rest of his body.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 13, 2008 08:06AM
How is "it's a virus" more implausible than "it's steroids and radiation"?

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 13, 2008 08:13AM
First Captain America was not the first substance abuser. Cultures as ancient as the Egyptians and Sumerians partied using various herbs and liqours. oddly some mummies have been found to have trace residues of coca leaves in their digestive tracts which is strange because the coca leaf is only found in south america natively, which might suggest some improbable trade between the ancient egyptians as far away as the new world.

Anyways.

Cap isn't an abuser in any sense. he took the SS serum once. one time. He didn't keep fixing to get high. an abuser means he has to abuse something, not do something one single time to go on and never do it again.

And the new captain america carries a gun. As you can see in my sig. huzzah.

February 13, 2008 12:17PM
I don't think Captain America should carry a gun. Captain America is not the Punisher or Nick Furry.
February 13, 2008 01:34PM
He's not Captain America. He's Winter Soldier.

February 13, 2008 01:51PM
I agree..There is only one Captain America and that is Steve Rogers. And I dont mean that putz from the Ultimates line. (Sorry Warlock)
February 13, 2008 03:35PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but Captain America Carried a Gun in his first appearance. And di so throughout world war 2. Captain America is a soldier. kind of like Nick Fury and the Punisher. So if you don't think Captain America should carry a gun, then you must not be very familiar with his first appearances. It's not like he was just knocking Nazis out to help win the war...

Besides, The New Captain America shoots to wound, not to kill.

February 13, 2008 03:42PM
Steve Rogers is dead, has been for almost a year now.

Captain America is James Barnes.

February 13, 2008 03:44PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the only thing Steve Rogers is at this point is a corpse. Except in the Ultimates, which is getting ruined with every issue as helmed by Jeph Loeb.

If Jeph Loeb ever reads this, you're a hack buddy. Learn to write.

February 13, 2008 03:50PM
They did have that lame What-If? where the SS-Serum WAS used as the latest drug of choice, giving short-term physical boosts due to the formula released to the public being tampered with, and supposedly the only way to 'cure' the problem was to have the newly-freed from the ice Cap drink a formula that'd revert him to a normal human.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 13, 2008 03:52PM
Because they just didn't have the science and technology to create a tailor-made virus in the 40s, but they could have through trial-and-error produced a chemical/radiation combo that'd physically enhance someone.

-- Peter David

February 13, 2008 04:09PM
And once he was out of the war and a civilian he put aside the use of guns and other potentially lethal military weapons because as a private citizen he wasn't licensed for the use of such and because he was tired of death and didn't want to resort to such lethal means of dealing with things.

-- Peter David

February 13, 2008 04:30PM
Well Cap was only intermitantly a private citizen. For much of his post-iceberg career, he was still a government agent, and right up until Civil War was a high ranking agent of SHIELD.

February 13, 2008 04:42PM
It always seemed to me that he was more called in for help as an outside contractor you might say, instead of a card-carrying agent. Either way he still had an aversion to the use of guns and other lethal ordinance once the war was over even if he was a member of SHIELD.

-- Peter David

February 13, 2008 04:50PM
I feel Cap’n’ America should carry a gun..... Some sort of ‘REALLY’ nasty-azz Omni-potent type gun that can shoot nearly any kind of ammo..... From regular old HOT LEAD to DEATH RAY LAZERS and even funky BIO CHEMICALS.....

I think Cap’n’ America should also have mini Booster-Back-Pack.... Just for jumping 100 to 200 feet in a single bound...... Or allowing him to para troop without a parachute......

Then he needs a Motor-Cycle that goes inside an Armored Van....

And the Van goes inside an Armored Tank..... With all sorts of crazy shooting weapons....

And the Tank goes into some sort of Giant Helicopter.... Which can drop bombs and shoot stuff....

And this Giant Helicopter can land aboard a Navy Carrier Ship.... And the Helicopter becomes a 1 Man Control Pod for the Ship....

The Carrier is outfitted with automated Robot Jets that Cap’n’ America can use as ‘Hands’ to throw Nuclear Weapons and death ray lazers and rail guns and other nasty weaponry......... Finally, the Carrier can seal up to become a Submarine......

This Navy Submarine Carrier can dive into the depths and dock into a massive NASA built missal silo.... And this missal silo is able to launch the Navy Submarine Carrier into space....

The Navy Submarine Carrier docks with a crazy huge space station.... And becomes a Space Ship with Light Speed Velocity.....

The whole propose of this space ship is to seek out life hosting planets similar to Earth...... and conquer those planets.......

To do all of that single handedly..... Cap’n’ America needs to take some serous “DRUGS”...... And the whole thing is...... President Bush and Former President Clinton are in the oval office and argue over who gets to use the PS3 Controller that remotely controls Cap’n’ America.......

And since the PS3 Controller is from ‘Sony’..... The Japanese are laughing their azzez off.....

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
February 13, 2008 05:42PM
I will never accept anyone but Steve Rogers as Cap. End of story, and no one will never change my opinion.

February 13, 2008 05:46PM
Lazers and bomz and kewl powerz for Cap?

::!o

February 13, 2008 06:01PM
Sometimes there can be only one, and there's only one true Captain America, and that's Steve Rogers.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.