Need an Oppinion on my Hero's Costume!

Posted by Bracey 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need an Oppinion on my Hero's Costume!
February 12, 2008 02:56PM
Attatched is a side by side comparison of my character Mr. Happy and a revamped version to his right. I'd like to know which one you like better. The classic style costume on the left (which is the way Ive drawn him for 20 years now) or the updated more modern look on the right.

I find that I like both verymuch and cant decide between the to. Possibly a moot point since Mr Happy is similar to Morph (teh Exiles for those who dont know) in his abilities he could have any number of looks, but I would like to estalish his base or default look.
Thanks all,
Bracey
Attachments:
open | download - MR-HAPPY-comparison.jpg (187.9 KB)
Re: Need an Opinion on my Hero's Costume!
February 12, 2008 05:09PM
I'd go with a combination of the two. The yellow above the chest face (minus the shoulder faces) would be better in my opinion. More subtle changes like that would be good in "modernizing" the look. Alternately, you could totally modernized it by giving him a black leather jacket with buckles all over, make the body suit all yellow (happier, you know) with subtle designs, and put the cape in the closet.

TAG
February 12, 2008 07:47PM
Bracey,

I prefer the character on the left. Although, I have to admit, he superficially reminds me a bit too much of Doctor Fate for my liking. But then, I'm no artist--so don't take my word for it. TAG's response it probably more salient.

The Rook
February 12, 2008 07:48PM
Bracey,

I prefer the character on the left. Although, I have to admit, he superficially reminds me a bit too much of Doctor Fate for my liking. But then, I'm no artist--so don't take my word for it. TAG's response is probably more salient.

The Rook
February 12, 2008 07:57PM
I'd have to agree with TAG. I like elements of the Modern one but maybe if he was a little more subdued.
February 12, 2008 08:17PM
Salient.

Now THERE'S a word you don't hear every day! ;)

TAG
February 12, 2008 08:19PM
Long time, no see, MIC_Rulz.

TAG
February 12, 2008 08:23PM
TAG,

I'll have you know I paid $5.00 for that word. ;)

The Rook
February 12, 2008 11:09PM
I agree, left looks better. There's too many happy-faces, and so it turns out just too busy.

Now, a big yellow cape with the smiley-face in black on the back of that? Priceless. :)
February 12, 2008 11:15PM
Misroi,

Agreed on all points! :D

The Rook
February 13, 2008 07:52AM
The original costume seems so...unremarkable. It's a bodysuit with a happy face on the chest.

The newer one could be amazing were it tweaked a bit. For a really modern look, I'd ditch the cape. Then I'd make his face a black featureless mask, letting the huge happy face on his chest and the accent logos do their work to convey his schtick. And though you don't *need* it, you might want to consider adding small doses of a tertiary accent color to break up the monotony between the gold and black.
February 13, 2008 06:11PM
Well after much thought on all your responses (for which Im very grateful) Ive decided to go with ThatArtGuy's overall suggestion. Im going with the more modern look but removing all the uneeded smileys from the costume.

Some of the other suggestions were very interesting for alternate looks but not his standard look I think. Oh and yes his cape he does indeed have a large smiley on the back, I havent ever drawn him from from the back but that has always been the idea.

But hey, the guys' metamorph so no look can ever be counted out.

Thanks for all the grea ideas and opinions everone! I am very very grateful!
Attachments:
open | download - MR HAPPY revamp 2.jpg (168.3 KB)
Re: Need an Oppinion on my Hero's Costume!
February 13, 2008 06:20PM

I vote both, and ill tell ya why. Having the character for some 20+ years now you can accommodate both the new schoolers and us old schoolers. For example, when you’re with the newbie’s you can use the new version of Mr. Happy or when you playing with the old schoolers bring out the classic original costume. And to give you my opinion, again I think their both great and I don’t think it’s too many smiley’s on the costume, ultimately it should be what you want it to be, you’re the artist and the creator of the character. P.S. TAG “black leather jacket with buckles all over” dude ….. The name of the character is Mr. Happy…. “Not American Bad A$$”

You sir (TAG) are the winner of today's finger and happy shot award !!!!!!

OOOOHHHHH and I almost forgot HHHHEEEELLLLOOOO Ladies

Vote "Yes" for The French Finger. "All the ladies in the house say HHHEEEEYYYY for the French Finger"
February 13, 2008 09:53PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Awesome response Fingerling! Its true I love them both pretty equally, and you've given me the perfect solution. While I do think the leather jacket thing is way overplayed (thanks to Frank Quietly's run on X-Men and probably the movies too) it coud always be a fun option for certain cituations. Ive planned on doing pics of him mocking various heroes thanks to his shape changing powers.
February 13, 2008 11:43PM
Well, you could "rip-off" Scarlet Spider and use his ripped sweatshirt motif.

(This suggestion is in honor of Skycutter. Crazy Scarlet Spider lover that he is.)
February 14, 2008 12:01AM
ARRRGGHHH!!! The pain! Such unpleasant memories..lack of artist creativity hurting brain...aaaahh must forget clone saga before to late...
February 14, 2008 12:14AM
Bracey, I prefer the modern costume for Mr. Happy! The reason I like the modern costume is I believe that Mr. Happy is a character that is played over the top! All the extra smiles on the costume do not take away from the character, but it adds to his personality! B!)-

Hey! I still like the Scarlet Spider…..

The Skycutter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 12:16AM by SKYCUTTER.
February 14, 2008 12:25AM
SKYCUTTER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bracey, I prefer the modern costume for Mr. Happy!
> The reason I like the modern costume is I believe
> that Mr. Happy is a character that is played over
> the top! All the extra smiles on the costume do
> not take away from the character, but it adds to
> his personality! B!)-
>
> Hey! I still like the Scarlet Spider…..

I agree with The CUTTER! The modern costume looks cooler for the Mr.Happy character. X(

February 14, 2008 12:40AM
Venger is in the house! The FingerLing kills me! GO Ling Go! Bad Ginzu-Gorilla, belt buckles and leather! I little S&M going there on your island Ginzu-TAG! HA HA

Bracey, I like the modern costume also! Just say NO to belt buckles and leather!
February 14, 2008 12:49AM
Bracey, I like the modern costume also! I would say No to belt buckles and YES to leather, but not for the Mr. Happy character! Sometimes more is better, if you know what I mean!

One Shot, One Kill, and Only One HITMAN!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.