Sidekick time at Marvel?

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sidekick time at Marvel?
February 09, 2008 09:22PM
So is Marvel slipping back to presenting sidekick versions of current characters again? By sidekick I mean younger characters with similar or identical but weaker versions of powers of an existing character. I've seen mention of a Machine Teen and a younger version of the Super-Skrull so far, are there others?

While I obviously don't have problems with composite-powered characters, particular with the FF's powers or X-men's, it would seem to dilute the uniqueness of the Super-Skrull releasing possibly dozens if not more skrulls all with the same powers he's got even if they are weaker initially. The only other character compositing with their powers was the Doom clone that was killed by Doom, and unlike the Super-Skrull we've yet to see any sign of him being reborn.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2008 09:24PM by Nightmask.
Re: Sidekick time at Marvel?
February 09, 2008 10:07PM
Marvel is having a surgence of sorts of 'sidekick' like characters. However they aren't traditional sidekicks, paling around with their adult counterparts. It's more like legacy characters that are following in the footsteps of the adults that came before them.

February 10, 2008 09:13PM
Hmmmm, okay. So how many other such mixed sidekick/legacy characters are out currently? I assume with the return of Bucky and his being put into the roll of replacing the original Captain America he would qualify even if he's not possessed of any of the powers Steve Rogers had. Oh, given that we're supposedly going to be seeing a 'Son of Hulk' deal he'd qualify for the legacy category, probably not sidekick since he's probably going to be shown as just as powerful as his father was.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 10, 2008 09:26PM
I think everybody in "Young Avengers" qualifies, hmm?

The Rook
February 10, 2008 09:32PM
I can't believe that they totally slipped my mind; then again Marvel when they came out was proving especially difficult in drawing my attention to its newer titles like that one. I think the Iron Lad character quickly vanished to be replaced with the new totally mechanical version of the Vision though right?

-- Peter David

February 12, 2008 08:13AM
Iron Lad and Vision are sort of the same character. Iron Lad was actually a teenage Kang that didn't want to become his adult conquering nasty version. So he used the iron lad armor to go into the past to recruit a team of Young Avengers to help combat a scheme of the Adult Kang's [The adult Kang found his teenage version to basicly mentor himself to be an even badderassed version of himself. The best laid plans...] Iron lad downloaded the Vision's Operating system, allowing him access to a bunch of Avengers files that allowd him to recruit the team. Anyhow... even when adult Kang was beaten, they found that if teenage Kang stayed in the past, bad things would happen, so teenage Kang went back to the future to let destiny run its course, but he left his armor behind. The Vision's Operating system coopted the armor, allowing him to become the new Vision. however, instead of runninbg off of Wonderman's brainwaves, he now runs off of iron lad's.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.