What marvel movies are left to be made?

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What marvel movies are left to be made?
February 07, 2008 02:53PM
I'd enjoy a Starjammers movie, at least using the original character line-up and appearance instead of that elf-thing that they turned Hepzibah into. They could even include the tie-in with the X-men if they include the kidnapping of the parents of Cyclops and Havok. First half of the movie dealing with the kidnapping and original team-up to escape the slave pits (as detailed as a back-up story at one point in a title I can't remember right now) and then jump ahead to them as swashbuckling pirates fighting against the cruel tyranny of Shi'ar rule.

Interesting thought there for Captain America, and yes it'd be nice to see him with some historical footage from WWII both to emphasize where he comes from as well as keep modern viewers educated on what war's really like and what Americans were willing to endure to fight evil as we've sorely lost those ideals in the decades since. I can almost see for the ending after the main evil's done with him sitting around being debriefed or just relaxing only to promptly jump off to rush into battle once again as that eternal champion of good declaring how the battle is never over and how he'll never give up the fight.

I think they'd go more with Spider-Woman rather than Spider-Girl, since Spider-Girl is more associated with Spider-man as his daughter instead of an independent person with some different powers like Spider-Woman has. Her immunity to radiation and poison (although it could the first few times she encountered render her ill or unconscious) was quite unique and one Spider-man's never had. Same goes with her pheromones that attracted men and angered women.

Some version of the New Mutants might be interesting, given it makes a good sci-fi commentary on racism and prejudice like the X-men, only reflecting more on the harm done to young adults and children rather than the primarily adult cast for the X-men movies. Just runs into the problems of trying for too much of a younger, edgier look that'd contradict with the need of the movie to represent normal kids thrust into the problems of prejudice (after all unlike say a black kid he grows up exposed to it in some fashion, someone showing up a mutant on the other hand might be quite socially accepted until they suddenly came up a mutant and make for a harsher shock).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 07, 2008 05:28PM
capocastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll bet you green money that a Hulk vs. Thing
> movie doesn't get made in the next 3 years. Even
> the next 5. Hell even then next 15. Freddy v.
> Jason, as well as Aliens v. Predator first do
> several things. Both of those movie franchises
> draw on other movie franchises that have been in
> existence for over 20 years each and try and
> rejuvinate them by creating crossover.
>
> Marvel's oldest big budget production that
> actually was in theatres is Blade. But further
> there's other differences. 1st is they're
> rebooting Hulk after the critical flop the Ang Lee
> version was. Fantastic Four is pretty much locked
> up in their next film storyline wise.
>
> Also, it doesn't make sense financially. Why make
> one movie and get an audience member to buy one
> ticket when you can get them to buy 2? It only
> makes sense to make seperate fantastic four and
> hulk movies because you can hook the audience
> twice. Why blow your load in just one shot?
>
> Finally, Marvel movies are by and large, making
> money. Freddy vs. Jason as well as Aliens vs.
> predator was made because all of those franchises
> were pretty much dead, except for maybe Alien,
> although it's last two outings as solo films
> didn't do very well. The other franchises hadn't
> released a movie in over 10 years or more. So by
> combining two marquis acts, they jumpstarted
> interest once again. Marvel doesn't have that
> problem. Some of marvel's films are among the
> highest grossing films of all time. The Marvel
> franchises are very much alive and well.

>>>>Capo,

I agree with you that the Hulk vs Thing movie will not be made in the next five years, and I only say this because I never saw a hint of production in it.

I disagree with you if you think it would not make any money. Is there one fan of Marvel movies who does not know who the Hulk and Thing are? None that I can think of. In addition, the two seem to have a different fan base, which will only help in the box office.

The Hulk is not easy to write for. He needs a rival, and the military to me just does not cut it. In a sense, the Thing has been the Hulks most popular rival in the eyes of the fans.

I beleive fans of the Marvel Movies will see as many as Marvell makes until that particular series bombs.

Who says movie franchise needs 20 years on their own to cross over? Godzilla who was released in the USA in the mid to late 1950's, meet King Kong in the early 1960's. That happened in less than 10 years. It was more like seven. Nevertheless, forget monster movies. Let us focus on Marvell. Marvell doesn't have character rights issues as Freddy Vs Jason, Godzilla vs King Kong, or other cross over movies might have. They own their own trademarks and character rights.

Marvel is already producing spin offs. A Wolverine movie is in the works. A Silver Surfer movie in the works. A Magneto movie is also in the works. These are all box office movies, not video or animated movies. I do not think a Wolverine or Surfer movie will hurt the X-men or Fantastic four squeals at all.

Which brings me back to the Hulk vs the Thing. Two very popular and classic rivals almost have to me on the silver screen. It would be shame if we never saw it. Are you saying a Hulk vs Thing movie would not do well at the box office?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2008 05:38PM by Taarna.
February 07, 2008 05:41PM
February 07, 2008 06:10PM
Taarna Wrote:

> >>>>Capo,
>
> I agree with you that the Hulk vs Thing movie will
> not be made in the next five years, and I only say
> this because I never saw a hint of production in
> it.
>
> I disagree with you if you think it would not make
> any money. Is there one fan of Marvel movies who
> does not know who the Hulk and Thing are? None
> that I can think of. In addition, the two seem to
> have a different fan base, which will only help in
> the box office.
>
> The Hulk is not easy to write for. He needs a
> rival, and the military to me just does not cut
> it. In a sense, the Thing has been the Hulks most
> popular rival in the eyes of the fans.
>
> I beleive fans of the Marvel Movies will see as
> many as Marvell makes until that particular series
> bombs.
>
> Who says movie franchise needs 20 years on their
> own to cross over? Godzilla who was released in
> the USA in the mid to late 1950's, meet King Kong
> in the early 1960's. That happened in less than
> 10 years. It was more like seven. Nevertheless,
> forget monster movies. Let us focus on Marvell.
> Marvell doesn't have character rights issues as
> Freddy Vs Jason, Godzilla vs King Kong, or other
> cross over movies might have. They own their own
> trademarks and character rights.
>
> Marvel is already producing spin offs. A
> Wolverine movie is in the works. A Silver Surfer
> movie in the works. A Magneto movie is also in the
> works. These are all box office movies, not video
> or animated movies. I do not think a Wolverine or
> Surfer movie will hurt the X-men or Fantastic four
> squeals at all.
>
> Which brings me back to the Hulk vs the Thing.
> Two very popular and classic rivals almost have to
> me on the silver screen. It would be shame if we
> never saw it. Are you saying a Hulk vs Thing
> movie would not do well at the box office?

I never said that Hulk vs. Thing wouldn't make money. I said that keeping the franchises as separate entities would make more money than combining them. Would people come out to see a vs. movie? Sure. But why earn the gross off of one movie [Hulk vs. Thing] when you can make make the money off of two gross earnings [Hulk Franchise, Fantastic Four franchise] ? And just because Marvel fans know of the characters doesn't mean they'll pay money to see them on screen. I've been a Marvel fan for the last 19 years. Here are the Marvel films I haven't paid a red cent to see:

Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Blade 3
Elektra
Man-Thing
Invincible Iron Man
Ultimate Avengers 2

Just because it has the 'Marvel Brand' does not mean it will draw an audience.

As to your argument about the crossover of Godzilla and King Kong. The motives for creating King Kong vs. Godzilla are in no way analogous to the motivations for the making of Freddy v. Jason or Aliens v. Predator. It's comparing apples and oranges. Not even mentioning the fact that the movies were made several decades apaert [KK v. G - 1962, Freddy v.Jason 2003, Aliens v. Predator 2004, 40 year difference here] one can't even begin to say that the audience demands, or that the way the movie industry opperates between then and now as even remotely the same. Further, Marvel liscenses the rights to make movies to many different studios. New line has the rights to Blade. 20th Century Fox has the rights for X-Men, Columbia has the rights for Spider-Man, Universal has the rights for Hulk. Once Marvel has given the liscense to one studio, they can't let another studio make a movie about that character until the license has expired. Fantastic Four is made by Fox, Hulk is made by Universal. That alone will prevent a Hulk vs. Thing movie fr some time to come.

February 07, 2008 08:05PM
So you have paid to see the Nick Fury movie? :)

I keep forgetting about those problems of how they farm out the licensing for different characters to different companies who always insist that they're the exclusive producers of that character during that period. I think that's one of the reasons behind creating a number of alternate characters like Firestar to fill in the holes created during that period isn't it?

Hmmmm, while it's not very likely to happen given the licensing problems what about a ROM movie? Valiant intersteller hero gives up his own world and happiness, even his own body in order to defend all other worlds, including earth, from an implacably evil demonic race of shape-shifting aliens that see all other beings as slaves.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Possible Marvel Flicks
February 08, 2008 02:51PM
i read somehwee that both Captain America and Thor movies were in the works to be in the same universe as the upcomming Iron Man movie, with the eventual plan to get all the actors together to do an Avengers movie sometime in 2010-2011, but that could just be a hollywood rumor
Re: Possible Marvel Flicks
February 08, 2008 03:39PM
Man, I hope that is true.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.