Body Coating

Posted by Daelon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Body Coating - Two different versions
February 23, 2008 06:34AM
I don't think the coating's meant to inhibit the use of all powers, and final interpretation of the power up to the decision of the player and GM (probably one reason it's so vague rather than given definite limits like some other powers). While you could always explain why those powers didn't work as being a result of the way the coating configures itself on the head it's just as likely that those powers work just fine with or without the coating being active.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 23, 2008 06:39AM
Well a number of powers are left intentionally vague to let the GM and player customize it to better fit their game, they aren't all simple and straightforward like Force Field or Body Resistance. Shapeshifting for example references the duration of a new form being based on the power rank but doesn't actually say HOW it's based on it. So it comes down to what the GM had in mind for how long should last or what you can talk him into. Same result with Body Coating; you're offering up your idea and hoping the GM accepts it or doesn't change it too much that you find it undesirable.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 23, 2008 06:41AM
No dude, what I'm saying is that all the other powers do not work unless the Body Coating is active. At least that is how I interpret it. But, of course there is always the customization of any power to make it work as desired for Judge and Player.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 23, 2008 06:51AM
Exactly. I'm a big believer in that there are elements in the creation element of the game that are left vague on purpose. I'm just offering up a couple of different way to interpret the material at hand. I have a few others as well, but I think Daelon already had a direction he was going so I went with that.

Same with what we (you and I) talked (typed) about the other day with Self-Sustenance. When I shared with you my take on Halo's version of that power. Which I have yet to get fully worked out. Got the Enhanced Senses thing locked in though.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 23, 2008 06:58AM
Good to hear you've got at least some of that worked out, and always nice chatting with you about various powers and getting input on them even if I don't use them myself.

Body Coating in a sense ends up about like the temporary version of Armor Skin, only you can inflict damage on it and eventually eliminate it if you try, nor does it carry any specific vulnerabilities or benefits beyond the basic protection like Body Coating does.

-- Peter David

February 23, 2008 07:02AM
Oh I know that's how you're reading it, I just don't read it that way. I just don't see why having your Body Coating active is essential for things like enhanced senses, telepathy, etc. But others might equate it like you do with Energy Sheath and having certain requirements that go along with it. It's vague enough to make most people happy with interpreting it any way that they want just about.

-- Peter David

February 23, 2008 07:19AM
Yeah I do think it is a bit restricting to have something like Telepathy be limited to being used with the Body Coating too. In a case like that it would actually make more sense if it didn't work when you were using the Body Coating. You could at least argue that it interferes with the mental powers or whatever. The few times that I have used this powers it has always been a variation of some kind. But I can see how you could play it by the book, if you had the right accompanying powers.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
Body Coating
March 14, 2008 02:59PM
Dang, I thought I responded to this already.....
Body Coating is based on a one-shot superteam called The Multi-Men. They appeared in a single mid-60s issue of Superman, providing a deus ex machina rescue. When they appeared, they were covered in flexible steel shells and for some reason riding a giant centipede. After Superman was rescued, the leader introduced themselves and explained their powers, They were normal men but they possessed a variety of ultra-tech devices capable of temporarily giving them a single superpower. Today they decided to use the furnace that coated them in flexible steel and thus gave them enhanced strength and limited invulnerability.
They didn't explain the giant centipede and Superman didn't ask.

Basically you'd assign one or more of the hero's powers to the Body Coating. If you're making a Multi-Man, assign one power to Coating "A". a second power to Coating "B", etcetera.

In the case of a Fluid Body character, the Body Coating could be anything surrounding that liquid core. It could be a cloud of vapor or steam around a watery girl, a body-defining plastic shell like Metal Men foe Chemo wears, or even a different liquid. For example, consider a watery character like Hydro-Man wrapped in a oily exterior.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.