Body Coating

Posted by Daelon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Body Coating
January 31, 2008 03:27AM
i'm creating a fluid body type hero or villain, i don't decided it yet.

i rolled him the aboce power (Body Coating)

i'd like to have a bio-organic coating, like a skin, with a little plastic-feeling if anybody touches it. it's generated by the fuild body, like perspiration process, and forms a protective layer, as the wall of the cells and the unicellar lifeforms outer layer.

what protection may it give the hero ?

i thought these:
resistance to blunt attacks (within blunt kinetic bolts) at -1cs
resistance to edged attacks (within edged kinetic bolts) at -4cs
resistance to energy attacks (except fire/heat) at -1cs
none against fire/heat
Re: Body Coating
January 31, 2008 09:34AM
Well a fluid body should be immune to cutting damage anyway. Ever see Wolverine try and slice up Hydro Man? Same could be said of Blunt damage.

January 31, 2008 09:55AM
Hydro-man isn't a fluid body though, he transforms into water so hasn't a need for a containment shell like a body coating to retain his fluids, they're all under his mental control. That's why he can survive being scattered or evaporated and can't be cut; a fluid body on the other hand has a form of flexible casing that can be cut or punctured. They generally do or should have a measure of protection from blunt damage I agree since they're so flexible, much like Mr. Fantastic's elastic body responds much like a fluid, giving under physical impact. One might use him for thoughts on the kind of body armor or response to attacks since he functions much like a fluid body in combat, much more so than Hydro-man does.

Having a separate power of body coating though would provide an extra layer of protection, similar to what it'd provide to anyone else. You have the inherent protections for a fluid body based on what a GM considers inherent to such a form and then it gets layered or superceded by the Body Coating while it's active. Depending on the fluid body it could even have a metal coating and appear like an armored humanoid only to revert to fluid form if the coating is destroyed (which happens in comics at times, like during the retcon for the Hal Jordan GL and his training period on Oa when it was attacked by the armored Legion only to find out after he broke its golden shell that it contained a fluid body inside).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 31, 2008 10:56AM
So you think the powers Fluid Body and Liquid Body are different? I've never even heard of Fluid Body... if that's the case I think I'd rather have liquid body.

January 31, 2008 11:05AM
that's why i'm asking for ideas...

the UPB doesn't give any special protection to the fluid bodies, only the natural phasing, the "climbing" and the Incredible Agility FEAT to take a bodypart of them.
i find the Hydroman's Amazing body Armor vs. physical too powerful compared to the another races in the UPB.

and yes, the superpower is a main power, rolled on the power tables, and i don't want metal or any similar "hard" coating, only the mentioned layer.
something like that:

what protection could this give me ?

and how works the destroying of the coating ? if i have a monstrous (75) rank, then after 75 damage it would fall, but till then i got no damage ? or ?
January 31, 2008 11:10AM
Fluid, liquid, same thing. Either way you aren't solid you're a fluid/liquid with some benefits and some penalties due to that nature. Hydro-man isn't a liquid body, he's Body Transformation-Water and has different benefits and penalties due to that.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 11:12AM by Nightmask.
January 31, 2008 11:22AM
Using Reed Richards as a guideline and general considerations for what a fluid body might be considered to have problems with, a 5CS reduction to damage from blunt physical attacks, Excellent protection from other physical attack and energy attacks, with a 1CS penalty against electrical attacks (unless you consider the substance of your character to be non-conductive or the coating to be somewhat insulative), and a 1CS or 2CS penalty to heat and fire attacks. The power rank of the coating could be considered either the 'cap' for how much total protection it gives or could be seen as the resistance to attacks directed specifically against the coating.

For example an enemy realizes that the coating's essential for your survival and provides your protection and unleashes an attack with the purpose of destroying just it long enough to deprive you of its benefits (similar to someone trying to target the Venom Symbiote rather than the person hosting it since it's what gives the person all that troublemaking power and without it they're generally much easier to deal with).

-- Peter David

January 31, 2008 04:42PM
Oooh someone plays CoH, hehe. ;)

January 31, 2008 09:18PM
Body Coating of a fluid is potentially cool, but as you describe, it, Daelon, needs some clarification.

If you're covering your own human-ish skin in a layer of some kind of liquid, you're going to have to explain why'how it doesn't just pour off. If it's a quasi-solid surface tension field--the simplest possibility I could think of--it's still not doing much to protect you unless it's a REALLY thick layer of liquid. Only a foot or so of water is needed to stop bullets from hitting your body (thanks, Mythbusters!), but it's still a foot of water that you're suspended within.

Reed Richards and Hydro-Man aren't good examples of how Body Coating works, since neither of them actually have that power. The coating is just that--a layer of protective substance or energy that the her summons. Before he got the power-up to transform into living ice, Iceman was a great example of Body Coating.

How do you want the power to work, Daelon? Though it's possible I read you wrong, it sounds like you want to be able to transform into some kind of liquid being. That wouldn't be the same as the Body Coating you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

WolfSpider 2008!
January 31, 2008 09:38PM
Actually the way I understand it is that he has rolled a Liquid Body character in the Physical Form section and he rolled Body Coating in the Power Section. At least that is what I understood.

Daelon, what other powers did you roll for this character? They may help guide you in polishing this character into a very cool and unique combination of traits.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 31, 2008 11:22PM
not really playing, i have only the character-generator, but i find it very useful to create outfits for heros and villlains...
:!)-D
January 31, 2008 11:40PM
Duskblade is right, my body tpye is liquid body, and one of my powers is the Coating.

till' now, i have these infos about the character:

origin = natal (so he borned as a liquid alien from somewhere)

Figthing = remarkable
Agility = incredible
Strength = excellent
Endurance = incredible
Reason = excellent
Intuition = incredible
Psyche = monstrous

weakness = molecular allergy (i'm not decided yet which matter), incapacitation and limited duration after contact

powers:
body coating = monstrous
matter animation/liquids = remarkable
chemical touch (altered chemistry, to produce variouos effects) = remarkable
/planned stunts: sleeping-draught, acid, some slippery jelly/
spray = good
/planned stunt: the combination with the generated chemicals/
elemental creation = good

talents:
hydrology, organic chemistry and martial arts A

thank you for your generous help, i'm very happy because of that (:!P)
February 01, 2008 01:16AM
Good all around Powers and Abilities. Did you random roll this character?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 01, 2008 02:27AM
the race, origin, the stats, the weakness and the talents was total randomly rolled

and i choosed the matter animation, altered chemistry and spray power because i found that these will fit to the body tpye.

the coating and elemental creation was rolled, and there started the problems with the function, protections and others with the coating.
February 01, 2008 02:37AM
Out of curiosity, how are you opening the character generator without an account? I ask because my account is inactive but I wouldn't mind using the game for character creation pictures. It should stop you at the login screen, right?

February 01, 2008 02:46AM
nope.
it's the korean hacked version, no playing possibilities, only the character drawing section.
you can find it some torrent site, e.g. here
February 22, 2008 07:05AM
this topic has sat down a bit...

i haven't got clear answer to the question: how this power works ?

the UPB says that no damage to the Coating isn't carried to the hero's health, and the damaged coating is quickly regenerates itself. it also says that the regeneration speed and the protection depends on the power rank.

so if i have monstrous body coating, then it's 75 points of armor (like a force shield)n and e.g. regenerates rank (9) points / turn ? so if i get 20 points of damage in a turn, then the coating drops to 55, and the next turn (if i don't get new damage) will be at 64 and so on ?
Body Coating - Two different versions
February 22, 2008 06:55PM
Daelon,

Okay brother, I'll take a swing at this. This is my opinion and interpretation of a power that is not perfectly defined.

Body Coating is sort of the matter version of Energy Sheath. One covers you with a protective energy and the other covers you with a protective matter. I mention this more so you know my perspective of the material, then to get anyone to agree with me. Your explanation of the power is good. I'll just be repeating some of what you wrote and then detailing a bit more of it. I reserve the right to alter this as the discussion goes on, because I have not play tested either of these.

Version One-

The first element of this power is that all the characters other powers cannot manifest without the Body Coating. Period. This is an innate limitation of the power.

If your character has Body Coating at Monstrous rank, then he has Monstrous protection from anything that the material of the coating would be resistant to. Damage to the Body Coating is regenerated at, what I think most people here would say is, 7 points per turn. If the hero takes Amazing damage from an enemy punch, the coating is now at Excellent (25) and any damage that round would be resisted with that lower rank of protection. In the following round you will regenerate and be at Remarkable (32) allowing for greater protection. If you were to in this round take a punch for Incredible damage, the coating would be destroyed, and you would take the remaining 8 points of damage. When the Ultimate Powers Book says that you take no damage when the coating is destroyed, it means that the damage used to destroy the coating doesn't effect you. But after that damage is tallied the rest is all yours my friend. This version of Body Coating is sort of like having the power rank number in extra health, with the bonus of Regeneration.

Version Two-

Another way to look at this power is that the Body Coating has Monstrous (in this case) resistance to anything that the chosen material would be resistant to. Damage to the coating of less than Monstrous has no effect on the hero or the coating. Damage of greater than Monstrous is reduced by the power rank number, but instead of that damage going to the characters health, it lowers the rank of the Body Coating. So if your guy was hit with an Unearthly ranked energy blast he would take no damage, but the Body Coating rank would be lowered to Amazing. The coating is then regained at the rate previously discussed. With this method it would take an attack of Shift-X intensity to totally destroy a Monstrous strength Body Coating. It would regenerate as discussed but while it was doing so you would only have a small amount of protection.

Hope that was helpful. If you need me to elaborate further, don't be afraid to ask.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 06:58PM by The Last Duskblade.
Re: Body Coating - Two different versions
February 23, 2008 05:40AM
thanx for the deatiled explanation

i hesitated between those 2 version, which you said, too

now i put my bet on the 2nd option, because with the limitation that the other powers hardly chained with the coating, i feel it better than the 1st, because it's harder to destroy, and harder to remove the other powers of the character.

wait a minute... so if i rolled e.g. hyper-hearing and microscopic vision powers, these are active only if the coating is on, too ? then it's a kind of alter-ego, and a bit hard to hide the hero-identity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 05:46AM by Daelon.
Re: Body Coating - Two different versions
February 23, 2008 06:28AM
No problem. Yeah, dude that is the thing with this power that is kinda weak. Unless you have the ability to barter with your Judge to remove the limitation.

Although I suppose if you use it to hide your civilian identity it could be cool.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.