Hyper-Intelligence Vs Hyper-Invention

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
January 30, 2008 02:08PM
So how much practical difference is there between someone with Hyper-Intelligence specialized for Engineering or Electronics compared to Hyper-Invention? Hyper-Invention gives some savings for Resource Feats and makes it easier to learn previously unknown technologies but it seems that for most cases everything else would pan out about the same when trying to solve problems or create items related to devices.

I reference the specialized Hyper-Intelligence as the generic overall increase would give a wider range of benefits since you'd be making all your Reason feats at a better level instead of only getting greater Reason benefits just in the area of technology. What other differences are there that aren't so obvious?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Hyper-Intelligence Vs Hyper-Invention
January 30, 2008 04:12PM
Other than the ability to automatically tell the best way of building something(*). There is no practical difference.

* That is how I interrpret the reduced resource cost (-2CS) of building something.
January 30, 2008 05:39PM
I haven’t researched either Hyper-Intelligence or Invention.....

But I’d think Hyper-Intelligence would give a very well ‘Rounded’ knowledge base...

Where as Hyper-Invention has a much stronger focus on Technology, Construction and Gadgets...

Hyper-Intelligence would probably give your Character nearly precognitive reactions for combat tactics.... As an example; for H2H he could probably learn every detail of a Martial Art just by observing a few moves... Probably has to be Face to Face or practiced a little bit though..... This would not Raise his Fighting Rank...... Just he learns a new Talent very quickly......

Hyper-Intelligence would defiantly be useful for Combat ‘Fleet’ management... Such as commanding 30 Battle Crafts effectively against say an enemy fleet of 300 Battle Craft..... Or knowing what the enemies next move will be with Confidence and Accuracy...

For gaming,

He’d be a master strategist, Knowing exactly what tactics to use to battle ANY Enemy.... For the Game, the Character would Roll a Reason (or maybe an Intuition) FEAT and the GM has to tell you the opponent Character’s weakness....

Blue = Fail, GM or other player can hide the weakness....
White = Fail, GM or other player can hide the weakness.... Unless it’s totally obvious...
Green = Reveal 1 Minor Weakness...
Yellow = Reveal 2 Minor Weakness... OR 1 Fatal Weakness...
RED = Reveal 3 Minor Weakness... AND 2 Fatal Weakness....

You could also use the FEAT roll as a ‘Sucker’ tactic in which the opponent is lured into a Kill Sac or Trap...... And the other Character has to follow... Even if the Player is totally aware the area is bad news for his Character....

For gaming I’d say Hyper-Intelligence ‘MAY’ give [+2 CS] to ANY talents already in his Stats list... He may even be able to learn 2 or 3 Talents per year of Age...... So at Age 10 this Character may have had 4 or 5 Fully ingrained ‘Talents’.......

By the time this Character is 20 to 25 years old he may have ‘Total Clairvoyance’ allowing him to master ALL and ANY Talents at [+2 CS]........ Physical attributes of Fighting and Agility may go up permanently by 1 Rank too..... But Strength and Endurance would not.......

Maybe when you use the Character’s earned Karma to buy upgraded Stats.... He gets a Half OFF Sale..... Buy one and get another of equal or less value for FREE....

Also the Reasoning, and maybe the Intuition Rank, may get boosted by a few levels below the Hyper-Intelligence Power....

As an Example... Say the Character has EX:20 Reasoning with out his Hyper-Intelligence Power... The character engages his Hyper-Intelligence Power at UN:100..... Thus, the Character’s Reason Rank jumps from EX:20 to AM:50 (Maybe MN:75)..........

The Character’s Intuition Rank may Jump up too, but not quite as drastically as his Reasoning Rank, given he can mentally process greater attention to details.......... Allowing him to solve puzzles through trial and error..... But he can make 5 Attempts per Game Round based off AM:50 Reasoning (Drop the Zero).

The Character’s Knowledge of expertise would be handled at UN:100 Rank....

If his Hyper-Intelligence Power stays active at ALL times his Reasoning and Intuition would permanently Super-Human.....

I’d also see Hyper-Intelligence allowing the Character to take ‘Leadership’ over a team.... His ability for logical tactics and Clairvoyance would prevail over the other Characters... Even Characters who have ‘Leadership’ as a Talent....

Hyper-Invention would be VERY useful too.... but Hyper-Intelligence would be a so well rounded for every conceivable thing the Character may encounter.....

Hyper-Intelligence would probably be the better ‘Power’ over-all......

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
January 30, 2008 09:56PM
Good points all around.

But, I think that Nightmask is comparing Hyper Invention, and a Hyper Intelligence that is specialized for engineering and building things. As opposed to comparing a general Hyper Intelligence and Hyper Invention. The Ultimate Powers Book gives you a +1CS to your Power rank if you specialize in a specific field for your genius.

I'm in agreement with your positions on Hyper Intelligence though. It is an excellent choice for creating cool stunts.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 02, 2008 08:42PM
Yes I was pretty much interested in the comparison between the specialized Hyper-Intelligence rather than general. General is better for most cases, particularly if a character isn't focused or interested in doing a lot or perhaps not interested in doing any kind of construction or repair-work at all. It's especially helpful of course when you're getting to boost your main Reason over Monstrous and augment that with a variety of talents.

While the rules don't really include anything about enhanced ability to learn or pick up things quickly it isn't unrealistic to think someone who got their Reason up to Monstrous would learn things astoundingly fast, perhaps some kind of house rule regarding an inverse-ratio of learning time versus Reason (i.e. the smarter you are the faster you learn something while the lower your intelligence the slower you learn). Hyper-Invention in a sense has such rapid-learning rules for technology with the ability to simply make a power feat to learn a new technology after suitable study.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 02, 2008 08:44PM
I like that interpretation for the 2CS bonus, very nice and explains it in a very rational and fitting fashion.

-- Peter David

February 05, 2008 12:26PM
Hyper-Intelligence models -- Reed Richards
Hyper-Invention models -- Tony Stark, Roger Bochs

Hyper-Intelligent characters are polymaths, the ulitmate Renaissance Men.
Hyper-Inventors are Thomas Edisons on steroids.

(By the way, if you can ever find a copy, read Edison's Conquest of Mars, the original steampunk novel written over a century ago, starring virtually every famous scientist of the post-Victorian age in a sprawling epic of humanity's revenge for The War of the Worlds invasion.)

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.