No magic for the Big G?

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
No magic for the Big G?
January 28, 2008 06:06PM
Can Galactus use Magic?
Re: No magic for the Big G?
January 28, 2008 07:43PM
Galactus doesn't need magic. His vast cosmic energy powers and such enable him to do pretty much anything he needs or wants to accomplish.

Then again, to many cultures, his vast power and technology is nearly indistinguishable from magic anyways..;)

Quack, damn you...
January 29, 2008 07:50AM
Galactus most decidedly does /not/ use magic. he uses the Power Cosmic. As we saw in Infinity War, if Galactus needs assistance with something clearly mystical, even the Devourer of Worlds calls on Dr. Strange.

January 30, 2008 05:17PM
Interesting. So a being with Class 1000 or higher psyche can't or does not use magic.
January 30, 2008 05:58PM
That's irrelevant since many characters have extremely high Psyche ranks yet haven't put the effort into learning magic and some of those even have some magic potential (Professor X, Forge, etc). They don't because they have other powers or abilities that they focus on instead.

Galactus himself has mastery of the Power Cosmic with incomprehensible levels of power by even many elevated minds and has no motivation to learn magic when he's got all that natural power to make his every whim reality. Magic in many ways is also just too limited from his perspective and really can you imagine there being any Entities he could entreat for power when most Entities even lack the power to match him?

Now if something blocked or eliminated his Power Cosmic and he was given the opportunity to learn magic to compensate and had a teacher he could certainly master magic at levels beyond mortal comprehension but as he is now he has no purpose in doing so. If he has problems with something magical he just calls in an expert to deal with it (Dr. Strange like I believe Capo said), just like when he needed someone to get Terrax out of the black hole he was hiding in Galactus called in Dazzler to do the job. He much prefers minions to deal with those small problems (for him at least) he's not expert in rather than use up his own energies to do the job.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 30, 2008 06:55PM
Well considering the Ancient One has a Class 5000 Psyche...

January 30, 2008 07:05PM
I really wonder at the accuracy of that, I think it was somewhat an overgenerous interpretation of his loss of Ego and elevation to 'oneness with the universe'. Would one then expect everyone who has his Ego destroyed and consciousness freed to also gain a CL5000 Psyche or is he afforded that rank under the interpretation that he's become one with Eternity and as such his Psyche is effectively that of Eternity?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 30, 2008 09:04PM
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Galactus would *need* to learn magic. He's one of the fundamental forces of the Marvel Universe, using energies well beyond the scope of what humankind can fathom as science. The guy eats planets...calling upon the Winds of Watoomb to levitate just seems paltry in comparison.

Also, it would be potentially lethal for Galactus, who is constantly fending off starvation by consuming energy-rich worlds, to use Personal magic. One of the reasons Galactus uses Heralds and other proxies is that the more he exercises his powers, the hungrier he gets. Casting some powerful magic juju from his internal reserves would likely exacerbate this need.

Hope these thoughts help.

WolfSpider 2008!

(P.S. I actually saw someone using the WolfSpider tag on one of the D&D boards. Dunno if it was the same guy, but it still made me snicker.)

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.