Dr. Strange and Thor's Hammer

Posted by analyst 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dr. Strange and Thor's Hammer
January 20, 2008 11:02AM
Hello all,

So here's the question? In a recent campaign Thor had been mind-controlled by a mystic spell by Loki to attack Manhattan. A number of heroes converge to stop the thunder god. The battle is fierce yet Thor is essentially unstoppable. The Fantastic Four arrive with Dr.Strange in tow. The thing happens to subdue Thor for a moment and sepearate him from Mjonlnir. Now the question is can Dr.Strange pick up Mjolnir and uterlize it. I say yes but my friend contended that he could not. What say you?
Re: Dr. Strange and Thor's Hammer
January 20, 2008 11:15AM
In the comic book world of story and Literature Yes it is possible.

In the game(rpg) world it would be up to the Game Master ( Judge ) - with magic being a kind of wildcard explanation.
January 20, 2008 02:28PM
Dr. Strange has been influenced by the so called "dark side" of magic. In my book this makes him unworthy to wield Mjolnir. Odin's magic is definitely more powerful than Strange's. He may be able to affect the hammer with magic (like use it as a talisman or draw energy from it) but it is my position that he could not wield it.

In my game it is a no. But if you can pull it off, great.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 03:10PM
There isn't any reason why Dr. Strange would be able to use Thor's hammer, the kind of person with the mindset to call upon the power of Mjolnir is very limited and to date all those we've seen gain its powers even briefly were men of action and selfless in the extreme and given the chance to be warriors as the Asgardians are. Captain America, Eric Masterson, Dargo, Rogue (Alternate Timeline), Beta Ray Bill, all were selfless warriors when the time came and the hammer responded.

The only one to ever use the hammer who was unworthy was Red Norvell and that required his acquiring a template of Thor's power Odin kept around along with Thor's Belt of Power and Iron Gloves, the only things that will let one unworthy carry (but not use) Mjolnir. While he later got full Thor status and his own copy of Mjolnir I don't believe he'd be worthy of lifting the original even now although it's always possible he's grown into that kind of worthiness.

I can't think of many Marvel characters that might end up worthy, perhaps the Illuminator (short-lived teen character with light-based powers and an attempt at a Christian hero that failed), Spider-man if he weren't weighed down by his guilt over his Uncle, and maybe Daredevil (who's certainly a brave warrior who managed to survive in Mephisto's hell and all its torments, to even light a clean spiritual fire in the place later used by another hero to escape).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 20, 2008 03:35PM
I could see Strange imprisoning the hammer, or portaling it away somewhere. However actually holding and lifting it, no, he's nowhere near worthy.

January 20, 2008 06:06PM
Most everyone else has mentioned the nebulous condition of being "worthy" enough to wield Mjolnir. While I personally don't think Strange is noble/pure/"good" enough to use it, the argument for his being able to use it coul dbe convincingly made. Were it a comic, this would be left to the writer's fiat.

The condition that makes Strange unable to use Mjolnir is a bit simpler. It requires superhuman strength to use. This falls in line with the mythological Thor being a patron of strength and to warriors. A handful of people in the MU-616 have proven capable of using Mjolnir, and I can't think of any of them without superhuman strength.

Yes, even Cap, who had a smidge of super-strength at the time. Even then, he wasn't able to do much aside from blindly swing Mjolnir and then throw it to Thor's hand.

That said, Strange doesn't *need* Mjolnir, unless he wants to use it as some devious focus to temporarily strip Thor of his Odinson nature.
January 20, 2008 11:56PM
Well the reason Cap didn't Thor-out as it were is because the actual Thor was handy so Mjolnir didn't bump-up Cap with Thor's powers when he lifted it. Now if Thor were missing or reverted to Donald Blake and Cap attempted to use Mjolnir he'd have acquired the full range of Thor power. Also Eric Masterson hadn't the slightest amount of Super-human Strength, he was just an architect before his transformation. Superhuman strength isn't a requirement to lift Mjolnir (if it were Thor would have never been able to move it enough to turn into Thor-Frog during the period he was turned into a frog by his step-brother), its more a requirement for non-living objects to lift and/or move the hammer. There's also no such requirement to lifting the walking stick that the hammer can be transformed into (which is how Beta Ray Bill was shown gaining Thor's powers, he lifted up the walking stick and hit the side of his ship in frustration with it).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 21, 2008 04:19PM
Well, if we look at the matter purely from a writer's standpoint then, yeah, maybe Strange can lift it 'cause the writer wants him too.

According to the mechanics of the game the matter is almost as simple. If Strange has 1000+ karma and at least Rm Strength (easily achieved via a magic spell) he can. If not, he can't.

I personally go for a writer's perspective, and so the question becomes one of how Strange lifting the hammer will fit in your campaign? Does it add to it? Is it necessary? I think that the most important consideration is whether Strange is one of your player's character's or not? To my thinking a pc should get to play the pivotal role. Maybe Strange could use some "karma" applicfication spell to make one of the pc's worthy enough to lift it?

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
January 21, 2008 06:16PM
There is also something about having a positive Popularity I think. Unless you are playing in a campaign set in an alternate reality where Dr. Strange is somehow worthy of using Mjolnir, or he does something to become worthy in mainstream, I'd say it is a no go.

As I said before, his magic allows him to tamper with the hammer. Perhaps even tap it as an Extra Dimensional energy source.

Wielding it and gaining the Power of Thor....ummm......no. At least no in my game. It would be pretty sad to me if they allowed him to do that in 616, without one heck of an explanation.

Also, let us not forget that the good doctor is a major player in the Marvel Universe and doesn't even need the thunder God's Power. Dr. Strange is a guy who can pretty much do anything already. Wouldn't be surprised if he could make a magical hammer of his very own, with a set of enchantments of original design.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.