Who is on the cover of...

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Who is on the cover of...
February 02, 2008 09:00AM
Hmmm, well if you consider their decision to not kill the grandchild of Reed and Sue Richards and how it still ended in having to kill him after he grew up and caused a lot of unnecessary death and pain you could interpret that as a mistake that put them off the path and had to be corrected.

I'd say Mimic didn't copy the powers of Proteus because he's an energy being and while he might spend his time inside a host his host doesn't actually have the powers. At best Mimic might copy any powers that the host has if any. That and the power to warp and manipulate reality as we saw would have made Mimic too powerful, just like he couldn't be allowed to keep the powers of the Phoenix to maintain story tension. They also hadn't had a good death in a while and Mimic made for the best choice, having him make a fatal mistake against a sociopathic opponent that required killing and no other solution was possible.

I didn't have problems with Mimic having the Angel's wings but yes Northstar's powers were a much better trade up. Far faster speed and maneuverability and didn't have the problem of concealing wings in the bargain. I still think that they might bring back Mimic someday, given he's copying the powers of both Wolverine and Deadpool and they've recovered from some pretty terrible damage. Even with half of each that's astoundingly good and in comics someone like him recovers or gets revived all the time. Could even bring him back as a villain, corrupted by the memories of Proteus and retaining some of that power, even thinking he IS Proteus for a while.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 08, 2008 08:48PM
It would be very cool to have him come back sometime. He is one of my favorites now that I am almost through the Exiles stories. Having him do something a little different with his powers would be good too. Like maybe learning some of the more difficult powers that he normally avoids.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 08, 2008 09:07PM
He'd probably have to switch-out the powers from Cyclops to pull that off, as it'd have to be a serious improvement to swap out the powers of Wolverine or Colossus (and he can't swap-out the powers of Deadpool currently). Same goes with Northstar's power; given the benefits from his flight power a replacement would have to include good flight capabilities (then again he held onto the powers of Angel for 5 years and that's hardly a really fast flight power yet he was fine with it).

Swapping out Colossus for Rage would allow for having ongoing extra strength and durability he won't have to turn on and off, although there is the benefit from Colossus's power of not requiring his internal organs and letting him take damage that'd normally kill from organ damage. Both together would be very impressive. Drop Cyclops or Northstar for someone with a power that allows for both flight and ranged attacks and get Rage in the other and he'd be exceptionally formidable.

Too bad we'll have to wait and see though, considering they haven't any members currently from that reality there's little reason for them to revisit it unless it was Blink going back to visit his grave or just visit with his version of the X-men so he could be back up and running now but no one would know. Given all the various timelines available why not make up your custom version of him and post him in Your Favorites?

I did a version of Professor X who ended up as Sorceror Supreme instead of Dr. Strange for example, for a what-If? that he ended up at the monastery at the same time as Strange while seeking a way to rescue his brother from Cytorrak's influence. Considering they have an official what-if? where Tony Stark became Sorceror Supreme and another with Dr. Doom it's not too much of a stretch, so why not present your version of Mimic from a timeline where he wasn't selected for the Exiles?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 08, 2008 10:31PM
Well I suppose I could create my own version of him, but he is pretty close to what I would do with him anyway.

What I think would be cool is to play him in a campaign. Because he would have access to whatever powers were available, you as the player would be constantly upgrading and improving on his power set. That would be fun. Several years ago I made a character who is a power duplicator, but his power is quite different then Mimic's and way more limited. It would be cool to see him learn to use Blink's powers too.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 08, 2008 11:34PM
Unfortunately that's the thing most GMs are afraid of: a PC getting to copy the powers of anyone that they encounter. Someone like Mimic (either the Earth-616 or Exiles version) means he can't just toss out really tough villains because the PC will just copy the powers of the toughest ones he's fought, possibly creating an escalating cycle of powered-up villains to deal with the powering-up PC.

Still I agree it would be nice to get to play someone like that in a campaign, although to make it easier getting to copy the powers at full strength instead of half-strength would be preferable. Of course he wouldn't want to be swapping powers all the time, especially those that require power stunts (like copying Magneto) since all that karma spent to learn those stunts would be lost swapping out for someone else's powers. The alternate version of himself he encountered who became a murderous villain but had the exact same history up until the offer from Professor X for example had copied Magneto, Professor X, and Cannonball that we know of, and added Blink's powers when he met her. Strangely though he seemed to copy powers at full power and there was a possible hint he could retain more than five powers at a time, making him more like the Earth-616 version even though he branched from the Exiles version.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.