Who is on the cover of...

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Who is on the cover of...
January 19, 2008 10:29PM
...The Ultimate Powers Book? The one on the bottom left hand side is who I am wondering about.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
Re: Who is on the cover of...
January 20, 2008 12:43AM
Top left should be the Criminal Mimic; Top right is the Super-Skrull; Bottom Left looks to be Rogue after absorbing the powers of Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine (if she copied parts of costumes while she was at it); Center is Super-Adaptoid; and Bottom right is the techno-organic being known as Warlock.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 20, 2008 12:55AM
i think she's Mystic, in preference
January 20, 2008 01:12AM
Rogue? Hmmm...okay cool. So she can do a partial use of Colossus's skin then? Is that from a comic or just for the cover of the UPB?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 01:32AM
Not from any of the comics; it's just a concept pic for the UPB cover to emphasize her having multiple characters' powers (like her having the costume made up of pieces of the various heroes she's absorbed, or the Nightcrawler hand having only two fingers like he does because Rogue wouldn't absorb those kinds of physical characteristics). She can't use a power in ways the original can't (except perhaps thanks to a rare power synergy from multiple powers she's absorbed). Since Colossus only can be on/off when it comes to his armored state the same applies to Rogue or anyone else copying his version of Body Transformation.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 20, 2008 01:38AM
Mystique wouldn't fit the theme for the cover however; everyone either copies, absorbs, or otherwise can fake the powers of multiple beings at once. Mystique doesn't do more than change her appearance and while she'd be able to look like a mix of those characters she wouldn't have any of their powers (even if they have expanded her somewhat more recently at the time the UPB came out she had nothing beyond her shapeshifting/Human Changeling and couldn't boost her strength, fake wings, or anything else like that).

-- Peter David

January 20, 2008 01:40AM
That is what I understood. Thanks for clarifying.

Cool idea for a character though, even though it isn't possible for Rogue.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 01:49AM
Oh yes, a nice idea with those combined characters, a nice mix of power and maneuverability (and as we saw during the fight with Nimrod it was of great benefit to Rogue when she combined the powers of Nightcrawler and Colossus). I used it when crafting Nightstalker in fact; putting together Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, Cyclops, and an anthro black panthress. Actually that's also not very far from the set of templates that the Heroic Mimic favored (although he used Angel's wings in place of Nightcrawler's teleportation because he was too lazy and afraid to learn how to teleport safely and Beast to get some extra agility instead of what he'd have gotten with Nightcrawler).

-- Peter David

January 20, 2008 01:59AM
He eventually added Deadpool and Northstar right? Dropping Angel and Beast?

I'd have to go with Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, and Professor X. Or Rogue, if that is an option.

Did he ever try to copy Rogue?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 02:00AM
Of course with Rogue he would only be able to absorb with half the level that she can. So perhaps that is not the best choice.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 02:47AM
Right. He dropped Angel early on during the fight with Dark Phoenix and picked up Northstar's power on their next world (Wolverine leads an extremely successful and popular Alpha Flight that might just be their world's premier team for super-heroes and the training of newbiews) then kept those for most of his remaining career until the damage he took from Hyperion left him having to get another Regenerator's power, and lucked into getting to copy a version of Deadpool. Given those power sets they have the option of bringing him back in the future (although probably won't).

I think Marvel's got an unwritten rule that anyone with power copying/absorbing abilties can't absorb/copy someone with similar powers. They always show something going wrong. For example when Super-Adaptoid tried to copy Mimic it caused a feedback loop that forced him to cleanse his entire power template array he had at the time and the Criminal Mimic temporarily lost his powers, so it's unlikely the heroic Mimic would have been able to copy Rogue's powers.

The heroic Mimic always seemed afraid of powers that required practice to use (or else too lazy to do the practice), so wouldn't copy someone with Teleportation even temporarily (same with Sunfire's fire abilities). One reason why we never saw him copying Magneto's and Professor X's powers, or others he encountered with a range of options. Now his evil counterpart had no problems doing that and even seemed to achieve the same level of replication of the criminal version from earth-616.

Interesting choice of characters to copy, since the telepathic powers would stack for Jean Grey and Professor X (while the heroic version couldn't copy characters with powers too similar to one another I think those two are distinct enough to get away with it). Then again I love doing up composite or mixed characters (like Seraphim, Nightstalker, and Black Velvet) and the X-men have seen a nice array of super-powered characters to choose from. A good mix would be Madison Jeffries and Forge, get some enhanced brains and devise new tech quickly no matter the situation.

-- Peter David

January 20, 2008 04:17AM
I'm wondering if Mimic would have trouble duplicating the powers of the Sentry the way that the Absorbing Man did. Seems like he wouldn't, being that it has more to do with the power template then the power itself. In other words I think it is the nature of Creel's power may lend itself to overloading on energy.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 06:22AM
In her early career with the X-Men, it was not uncommon for Rogue to adopt the physical traits--even those wildly different from her "normal" body--when she stole people's powers. I think that went away just after the Fall of the Mutants storyline, but I distinctly remember her having Colossus' steel skin and Kurt's weird hands and blue-furred face at one point or another.
January 20, 2008 07:21AM
Creel's stuck with an undefined absorption limit that generally just kind of shows up for the story. He's tried several times to absorb all the properties of the earth but couldn't handle it (although admittedly the one time he'd been in the middle of doing it after apparently forgetting he'd tried and failed in the past he was boasting to the child-like Hulk that it'd be Creel who'd be the strongest there is, at which point the Hulk jumped onto the rock Creel was on and interrupted the process while launching Creel almost into orbit). Considering the Exiles Mimic wasn't running into any problems trying to copy someone a lot more powerful than the Sentry (Dark Phoenix) it seems he hasn't problems copying at least some cosmic beings (although at half power) so shouldn't have problems copying Sentry. He might run into similar problems though with spawning evil knock-offs from his Id.

-- Peter David

January 20, 2008 07:26AM
I believe you're remembering the issue wherein the child Illyanna ended up in Limbo and the X-men went in to rescue her. At one point the divergent reality version of Storm who'd learned magic as she gained in age and couldn't control the weather anymore cast a spell surrepticiously on Rogue to give her select features of the X-men to escape a monster. Those features were Colossus' armored skin to protect against the monster's acid tentacles, Nightcrawler's features for agility, and Wolverine's claws in order to cut herself free. The spell only lasted a few turns, just long enough for her to get free, and is the only time that I know of that she adopted features like Nightcrawler's unusual digit count, as they aren't part of his powers but his indigo fur is as it's part of his blending ability and perhaps related to his teleportation power.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2008 07:27AM by Nightmask.
January 20, 2008 11:20AM
Bobby Zero is correct. Rogue did absorb the powers of Collosus and Nightcrawler etc. to fight Nimrod in an older issue and this image was on the cover. can't remember the issue # number.
January 20, 2008 11:26AM
It was Uncanny X-men number 194

[www.milehighcomics.com]
January 20, 2008 02:11PM
So then the nature of her powers has been changed?

Are we now saying that the way she looked on the cover of the UPB is an accurate depiction of her from that comic?

That would be pretty cool.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 02:57PM
No, even if that was on the cover she was totally metallic inside. Remember that cover-art often depicts things somewhat differently than what's inside the actual comic or even things impossible for the characters involved to draw you in. Colossus can't be selectively metallic so neither can Rogue while absorbing his powers, and Nightcrawler's powers aren't related to his non-human hands and feet so she doesn't mimic those when absorbing his powers, and I can't remember but I think because Angel's powers are dependent on an altered physical form (wings) she was able to copy those.

-- Peter David

January 20, 2008 06:13PM
It wasn't just cover art, NM. In her early days with the X-Men, she would adopt the outstanding physical likenesses--Colossus' armored skin and Kurt's blue fur & weird fingers--of those she touched, and were she touching more than one person, she would appear to be an amalgam of those characteristics.

I don't think it was a 'change' of her powers that stopped this from happening, but rather an editorial choice. Artists stopped drawing her that way. No evil agenda--her powers' mechanics still "worked" the same, but the visual was a bit different.

Even more recently, when Rogue touched Gambit, her eyes changed into his weird red-on-black.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.