Maybe they should Never had done it!!!

Posted by G.A.W. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Maybe they should Never had done it!!!
January 17, 2008 12:36PM
To have continuity of super-hero comics to begin with. I for one like continuity and would probably would not have bought tons of comics without it and yet...

Apparently it is much too much trouble to keep up with. Maybe just having non-continuity stories like the ones from the 1940's and 50's would have been much less grief??? Would comics have been better ( better stories ) without continuity, without those kind of shackles???

I myself cannot exactly put my finger on it but there must be something in the structure and building of tied together stories I find appealing. i'm not sure I can articulate it well enough but i feel it.

Since I started collecting comics ( MARVEL ) in the 80's on up to reading comics from the 60's on up I felt it important to have.

Continuity and non-continuity must both have their pluses and minuses.

What are -really the advantages of continuity???
Re: Maybe they should Never had done it!!!
January 17, 2008 03:07PM
I have a good analogy for continuity. Continuity equals consistency. When I know how things work, I know what I can expect. It's a foundation to build upon. With a poor foundation, you can build a house, not a great house but you can build one. However, with a strong foundation you can build a skyscraper. In story terms, you can build a story with a poor foundation, but with a strong foundation you can build a universe.

Retcons are usually unsightly as well, but sometimes they are necessary. A good analogy for retcons is a pencil drawing. It looks great when you start out with a blank page. You start drawing and everything is going to exactly to plan. Then, you find a mistake and proceed to erase and repair. If you do it when you need to, most people won't mind or notice. If you do it a lot, the drawing becomes messy and hard to look at. If you do it too much, the drawing becomes completely different than your intended concept.

If the creator doesn't want continuity, that's great! Do it that way. However, if the creator wants continuity, they need to stick to it like welded steel. (This is what good planning is for.)

TAG
Re: would anyone still buy....
January 17, 2008 10:18PM
would anybody still buy super-hero comics if both DC and Marvel gave up on continuity completely???

lots of one-shots and adaptations, maybe anthology series????
Re: would anyone still buy....
January 17, 2008 10:37PM
I don't think I'd be much interested in general if things went to that level of one-shot storytelling. One-shots and short series are okay on occasion but really lack of continuity and stories just tossed out without rhymne or reason and nothing other than maybe the costumes and powers the same just doesn't appeal to me at all. If it did I'd have kept reading Legion of Super-Heroes, which got so many restarts I just couldn't care about any of it anymore because I had no foundation to anchor the stories in and it all was a muddled mess trying to remember if a character was still female or retconned as a male pretending to be female or related to this one or no longer related to that one, and so on.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.