"WHO LEFT THE FLAMING DOOR OPEN!?!"

Posted by RAGNARoK 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"WHO LEFT THE FLAMING DOOR OPEN!?!"
January 16, 2008 10:19PM
I've been beside myself as of late with this forum and the intensity of flamage among "some" of the new folks. Did I miss something? Is being a Flamer considered "In"? Were the flamers band from another forum for being a pain and thought, "Hey, lets go to this forum and show them how much of an arse we can make ourselves look." Point proven. You've succeeded. Move onto something with a bit more challenge for your intellects, Like Lincoln Logs or Legos and leave the forum stuff to adults who just want to chat and enjoy the debates without the flamage.

I fully expect flamage on this thread, it's my purpose to draw the flamers out for all to see and to identify who you are. So by all means, flame away.
This time, the flaming will help me vs. hurt me. I know you can't resist it. It's in your nature to flame and grief. It's really not hard to get flamers going because they are so predictable.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"
Re: "WHO LEFT THE FLAMING DOOR OPEN!?!"
January 16, 2008 11:04PM
I agree with personal attacks but what exactly constitutes Flaming???

what is the difference between intense debate and flaming?
I have been reading most of the topics here( stats and discussion not revamp or favorites ) and I want to see where it has been bad.

this site has been exceptionally good with flamers in my opinion.

RAGNARoK- i'm not trying to contradict you, it's just that i've not noticed it being bad, yet.
My topic on spidey and the U.N. got harsh but just with the topic object ( the U.N. ) Not with any posters.
January 16, 2008 11:14PM
Flamers = direct ad hominem person attacks and insults rather than civil debate. There have definitely been flamers of late.

January 16, 2008 11:33PM
G.A.W. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with personal attacks but what exactly
> constitutes Flaming???
>
> what is the difference between intense debate and
> flaming?
> I have been reading most of the topics here( stats
> and discussion not revamp or favorites ) and I
> want to see where it has been bad.
>
> this site has been exceptionally good with flamers
> in my opinion.
>
> RAGNARoK- i'm not trying to contradict you, it's
> just that i've not noticed it being bad, yet.
> My topic on spidey and the U.N. got harsh but just
> with the topic object ( the U.N. ) Not with any
> posters.

No contradiction taken. You pose a very fair question. My responce to this will be a good example of proper replies to a question.

On the likely hood that it may merely be something I've noticed more recently myself but from viewing fellow forums members Flaming close friends of mine on this forum, like Niniri almost giving up the game from much flamage and GMing Burnouts to Nightmasks debate in disagreement of the New Updated Digital Advanced RPG Books. which recieved an ugly Flamge responce -> [www.classicmarvel.com] Colorful huh?

I'm willing to exect being in error if it was just me, but it's not. I've noticed an intense flamage just recently in the forums and not just in those threads or towards those members alone. Hell, even I'm guilty of some flamage, I'll admit, towards Aunt P. for this stinking update on this forum that nerfed my original account. But I consider it more of a discruntlement than flamage, in my opinion, and everyone is intitled to theirs. But it never went to name bashing or telling someone to "shut the hell up."

It was more of a "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY ACCOUNT!?!" LOL, I'm still pissed about that. ;)

January 16, 2008 11:50PM
Especially colorful considering the majority of my post was really devoted to handling differences with respect for the other person's opinion and stick with objective references rather than subjective ones. I almost felt like posting at the end that I sadly expected no one to actually read beyond the first paragraph or two, since it certainly seems that my fear when I posted was justified and the entire post was ignored.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 17, 2008 01:52PM
A note: Ragnarok, I said i was looking at your account issue and i have been, however i have been less inclined to pay more attention to it with the comments contained in several of your posts. sorry, but i'm one person with a life and this site is a hobby.

for the flamers and other not 'nice' posts, how about 1 or 2 volunteer monitors/adimns

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 01:56PM by aunt_petunia.
January 17, 2008 03:12PM
I suggest this guy for moderator:

:D

TAG
January 17, 2008 05:28PM
so if a a monkey can do it, there is no need for a moderator as falmes and complaints on the board are unheard of huh.. cool.

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm
January 17, 2008 05:31PM
I was just suggesting a 500 lbs gorilla. He'd keep people in line. If I were to suggest a monkey, I'd go with a spider monkey.

I like spider monkeys.

TAG
January 17, 2008 05:45PM
500lb Gorilla to deliver Angry Monkey Dances upon Flamers... Multiple offenses may result in poo flinging ;)

Quack, damn you...
January 17, 2008 06:38PM
I'd volunteer, Aunt P... but I'm a mod on a few other sites and another would be a bit much to keep track of. I'd nominate Niniri if she were up to it, though.

January 17, 2008 08:29PM
Moderators?

seems a bit much. just ignore the idiots and they will eventually go away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 08:29PM by capocastillo.
January 17, 2008 10:16PM
I just hope this doesn't turn into a kind of witch hunt for supposed Flamers ( no pun intended ) and then a Black list insues.

I still think this site has been really good with the low- flame count over the years.
January 17, 2008 11:19PM
aunt_petunia Wrote:
> A note: Ragnarok, I said i was looking at your
> account issue and i have been, however i have been
> less inclined to pay more attention to it with the
> comments contained in several of your posts.
> sorry, but i'm one person with a life and this
> site is a hobby.
>
> for the flamers and other not 'nice' posts, how
> about 1 or 2 volunteer monitors/adimns

Just because you run a forum doesn't mean I can't state my opinion... Even if I was in the wrong. This too is only a hobby for me, offline. I mainly come here to chat with friends. As for my comments. I was out of line and sincerely apologize for not giving you the chance to resolve the issue and for being impatient and I can't blame you for feeling less inclind. But I won't lose sleep over whether or not you accept it. I'm still intitle to my opinion and still dislike this update and not just for my account issues. If that also hurts your feelings. Well, it'll pass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 11:21PM by RAGNARoK.
January 17, 2008 11:56PM
Oh, as far as drawing any of the flamers to this thread and get them respond that's unlikely as you have to toss them a topic to get flaming on. Otherwise they tend to not just go for the 'Hey I'm not a flamer it was the other guy!' kind of feedback. Now post a thread that you want to make the alloy of Cap's shield easy and cheap to make in your game and wondered what Reason and Resource cost to set for it and you might just draw in the flamers, or post a thread wondering what the big deal is with all the Worship of Skycutter when there are many others who also contribute to the game and get no credit at all and watch the flames roll in. Few things will get you flamed quite so bad as suggesting making Cap's shield a common item or suggesting other people should get credit for helping out with the game as well as Skycutter for his admittedly excellent and much appreciated work.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 18, 2008 01:17AM
I'd volunteer but I doubt my disagreements over a few items would gain me the necessary respect for my impartiality to be effective at the task.

-- Peter David

January 18, 2008 10:31AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Oh, as far as drawing any of the flamers to this
> thread and get them respond that's unlikely as you
> have to toss them a topic to get flaming on.
> Otherwise they tend to not just go for the 'Hey
> I'm not a flamer it was the other guy!' kind of
> feedback. Now post a thread that you want to make
> the alloy of Cap's shield easy and cheap to make
> in your game and wondered what Reason and Resource
> cost to set for it and you might just draw in the
> flamers, or post a thread wondering what the big
> deal is with all the Worship of Skycutter when
> there are many others who also contribute to the
> game and get no credit at all and watch the flames
> roll in. Few things will get you flamed quite so
> bad as suggesting making Cap's shield a common
> item or suggesting other people should get credit
> for helping out with the game as well as Skycutter
> for his admittedly excellent and much appreciated
> work.

this made me lol.

heck i'd volunteer but i may be a bit more draconian that what people had in mind.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
January 18, 2008 10:56AM
Plus why waste the time baiting the flamers when they flame as much to get any kind of attention like kids misbehaving because it gets them more attention from their parents than being nice? I know I regret the time I wasted on those flames at the start of the year and the time I lost I can't get back. Worst thing you can do to a flamer is when they flame just ignore them which is my intention and one of my resolutions for the new year.

Which btw I don't see the disagreements Capo and I've had as flames, even if they did get heated at times. We might have slipped a bit on the etiquette but at least we managed to keep things civil enough and if someone walked away and said 'I'm done with this' it generally stopped there. With a little work I think we even managed to reach a level of respect for each other's positions even if we disagree and do a good job discussing things civilly when focused mainly on the game and trying to focus on things in a more objective fashion.

-- Peter David

January 18, 2008 07:16PM
Hullo all...

First off, yes, I'm inclined to agree with Auntie P: A couple of admin/moderators are needed.

Second: Thanks for the vote of confidence, Punny. I just don't know that I have it in me to be
a moderator/admin. I'm still very much on the fence about whether I'm giving up gaming for a
good, long stint...or not. I'm burnt out by all the flaming that's been going on around here, and
I don't know that I have the energy or patience to be what this place needs.

My BS tolerence is very, very low right now....and I might be a bit more draconian than I might
otherwise be. I just don't have time or patience for the minutea and reading every thread. :(

Otherwise, I would happily step up to the plate and help Auntie P with the Forums...because
right now, even an 'intense debate' is something I'm very wary/leery of.

However, I don't *want* to leave this place, because I believe it can be restored to civility and
the fun place it used to be for me.

Let me say this: IF Aunty P were to request my help, and I didn't have to shoulder it all alone,
I might be amenable to helping out with the moderating/admin duties...but I simply can NOT
take on something like that alone. Gaming is but one thing I do. I also am heavily involved in
the 3d art community these days, and if you asked me right at this second, I'd say I might be
more inclined to choose that aspect of my life over gaming...

Just my two cents worth...and the way the economy's going, that may not be of much value...

Regards to all,

Niniri the Ambivalent

January 18, 2008 09:32PM
I'd suggest a thread for a voting of two monitors/admins. Let the members decide. Have them decide and post their opinions of who and why.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.