Lex Luthor or Doctor Doom? Who is harder to defeat?

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
January 16, 2008 09:01AM
Re: Lex Luthor or Doctor Doom? Who is harder to defeat?
January 16, 2008 09:11AM
Doom. Not even close.

January 16, 2008 11:27AM
Agreed.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 16, 2008 04:18PM
I would say Doctor Doom he owns his own Country.Doom seems more of Genius then Lex and with his Magical powers that is a Tough Combo to Beat.
January 16, 2008 08:45PM
Well Pre-Crisis Luthor had his own planet, Lexor. He just never stayed around to exploit it or give up his fight with Superman and when he finally did decide to forget about Superman and raise a family unlike every time in the past when he respected Lexor's legal protection of Luthor he came seeking vengence (even though Lex hadn't even done anything wrong that time) and helped destroy the entire planet, including Lex's wife and child.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 16, 2008 10:46PM
Doom has his magic and his little country that you can spit-n-miss on a drive by. But the country bit isn't any different than Lex Making President of the U.S. and was able to pull it off under Superman's super nose.

To me, the best criminal mind is one who uses his, discretely.

Lex may not have magic powers and a soft serve recyclable food dispencer in a tin suit. But I think Lex with his resources can probably buy Dooms little speck of a country and build a Super Disney Lex Land. The castle just needs a fresh coat of paint and then all Lex would need is a guy in a funny costume who can do magic tricks. Oh wait... :D

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 10:51PM by RAGNARoK.
January 16, 2008 11:03PM
*chuckles* Well NOW Lex doesn't have a soft-serve dispenser in a tin-suit but he certainly did Pre-Crisis, AND he had interstellar-travel capabilities built into it which even Doom doesn't have. Probably some of the best villains are those that work discretely, letting minions do the heavy labor while keeping the public seeing them as good people. Kingpin's been useful for that role for decades after all, although he was long past due given his mistakes to get permanently taken out and replaced with a better mastermind. Sadly though with the junk retcon to Spider-man that's all gone as well as the valuable statement his last encounter with Kingpin made: heroes are human and push them too far and they are just as capable of killing as anyone else so self-interest says leave family and friends alone.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 16, 2008 11:05PM
Doom is smarter than Luthor... and is not only a genius, but an inventive genius. Lex may be smart, but in the end he's just a rich guy in a business suit who's a criminal genius. Doctor Doom is an even more resourceful guy in one of the most high tech suits of power armor on the planet who's an inventive genius as well as a sorcerer in his own right, not to mention one of the most willful individuals on the planet. Fact: If you attack Luthor directly, he's a grease spot. Fact: Doom could hold his own against the likes of Thor and the Silver Surfer with the help of his magic and tech. I do love Marvel far more than DC, but this one seems to be a no-brainer. Luthor has the moxie to stand up to Superman, but only when he has Kryptonite. Doom isn't afraid to get his hands dirty if he absolutely has to. All I have to say is...

"You cannot defeat me! I am Doom! I AM DOOM!!!"

;) :D

PS: My wife says: "Saying 'who is harder to defeat, Lex Luthor or Doctor Doom' is like saying 'who is hotter, Ben Grimm or Johnny Storm'"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 11:09PM by Punstarr.
January 16, 2008 11:35PM
Post-Crisis Luthor, Pre-Crisis he was just as challenging as Doom in his own setting. I mean he WAS going up against Superman after all. Now of course they've reworked him into being a smart man but with a preference for using minions instead of getting his hands dirty, although from the Death of Superman DVD he was apparently a mix of Pre- and Post-Crisis Luthor, having the corporate image and billionare standing but an Amazing to Unearthly Reason (he'd solved MS, Cancer, and AIDS but was holding out on releasing them until he could make the treatments a life-long process instead of the simple-shot he developed) and smarter than Superman in that reality, who hadn't cured any of those yet had developed things like time-viewers and created miniature suns.

-- Peter David

January 16, 2008 11:46PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS: My wife says: "Saying 'who is harder to
> defeat, Lex Luthor or Doctor Doom' is like saying
> 'who is hotter, Ben Grimm or Johnny Storm'"

ROFLMAO!!! You have a cool wife! I tip my hat to that comment and graciously bow out.

"Fer the love of my sweet Community...RAGNARöK"
January 17, 2008 02:17AM
Um... this comes down to one sentence:

"Victor Von Doom stopped trying to take over the world since he's already taken over the entire universe... twice." Lex is nowhere in Doom's league. Doom has bigger fish to fry.

TAG
January 17, 2008 08:40PM
I'm going Lex on this.

The question is who's harder to defeat. not who'd win in a fight. Superman has an exceptionally harder time defeating Lex considering his advantages and resources, than do the Fantastic Four defeating Doom considering their advantages. Lex is a mere human economic, iventive [even post-crisis], strategic, scientific, and criminal genius. with no powers. and yet somehow he evades a living god's scrutiny day after day.

January 17, 2008 11:03PM
Doctor Doom has never been defeated.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 17, 2008 11:06PM
You dare mock the monarch of Latveria?

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 17, 2008 11:10PM
Hell yeah.

Doom stole the Beyonders power.

And used it to make everyone think he doesn't have it anymore.

I AM DOOM!

-----
January 17, 2008 11:23PM
I like that reasoning; Lex isn't getting the credit he deserves in that regard. They often say that the measure of a hero is the gallery of his villains but doesn't that also reflect in some ways upon the villain as well for who his greatest heroic opponent is? Certainly Superman can't be displayed as the greatest hero of the DC universe without having the greatest of villains to oppose him, and yet for such a god-like being his opponent is totally human and no special powers (outside of his genius) to stand his ground.

True Dr. Doom is powerful but he's got a battlesuit filled with an array of weapons to boggle the mind of anyone, including his chief rival Reed Richards and yet gets defeated or outwitted far more often than one would expect. Leaving out the absurdity of Squirrel Girl beating him he's been taken out by Dazzler early in her career as the reluctant super-hero and by Cloak and Dagger who certainly aren't powerhouses either. Lex on the other hand manages to hold off someone who can fly into the sun and move mountains and has access to some of the most advanced technology available in the DC universe.

-- Peter David

January 18, 2008 08:02AM
Sorry, that is the incorrect answer. Thank you for playing and please enjoy these wonderful parting gifts.

January 18, 2008 09:00AM
capocastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going Lex on this.
>
> The question is who's harder to defeat. not who'd
> win in a fight. Superman has an exceptionally
> harder time defeating Lex considering his
> advantages and resources, than do the Fantastic
> Four defeating Doom considering their advantages.
> Lex is a mere human economic, iventive ,
> strategic, scientific, and criminal genius. with
> no powers. and yet somehow he evades a living
> god's scrutiny day after day.

>>>I'm going with Doom. Doom has accomplished far more than Luthor has in terms of unbeleiveable stunts such as stealing the power of the cosmos, and inventing a time machine.

Doom seems to be more more cunning in terms of planning, has a better battle suit ( At least to the point of the early 1990's when I stopped reading comics ), has his own army of doombots, and has magic, which has a 1+CS on Superman. Both Luthor and Doom have plenty of money> Luthor has more, but does Luthor have diplomatic immunity as Doom does? I don't know.

If Doom was in the D.C. Comic world, I think he puts the man of steel out of business. For all his power, Superman has a boy scout method of fighting crime, weaknesses to kryptonite and magic, and sometimes is just a sucker.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.