Magic Power Stunts

Posted by RAK 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
RAK
Magic Power Stunts
January 14, 2008 04:15AM
Does a sorcerer in MSH need to perform power stunts for his spells?
Weather Control for example requires a power stunt for each effect but in the spell of the same name it states that the mage only needs to make a separate Spell Rank FEAT for each effect.
Re: Magic Power Stunts
January 14, 2008 07:52PM
What I tend to do with magic, and this is my own house rule stuff, is I treat magic as it's own power.

So under powers, someone has "Magic" listed under it, and then they give that power a rank. Then I treat every single spell as a seperate power stunt, since I think the cost in Karma is about equivilent to reflect time spent learning and practicing the spell.

January 14, 2008 10:39PM
I'm a fan of handling Magic in the exact same way. It just makes it so much easier on both the Player and the Judge. Subject of course to the limitations Personal, Universal and Dimensional Energy, as well as the required Mechanism per Effect.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 18, 2008 03:06AM
So how do you handle the power rank of each spell? For example a character with Excellent Psyche and Incredible Magical abilities attempts to learn Eldrich bolts, which has a starting rank equal to Psyche. Does the character get the spell at Incredible rank or Excellent? Or are you not using the Realms of Magic rules when it comes to spells?

I think though that from looking at the Dr. Doom Boxed Set it does tend to set a precedent of treating magic as a power with a power rank, especially when you regard the table dedicated to using magic to vastly improve one's ability to construct a device an reduce resource costs.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 18, 2008 07:50AM
Personally, it seems counterintuitive to me that one's magical ability surpasses their Psyche score. So generally speaking, i require all magic weilding chars to have a Psyche greater than or equal to their magic rank.

When I'm ranking the stunt, I base it at rank - 1 cs during the "stunt learning phase" and then I award the full power rank once the stunt becomes part of the mage's repertoire.

January 18, 2008 07:56AM
Not necessarily, some characters demonstrate raw magical potential that exceeds their Psyche, although I suppose if you favor that to ensure game balance and it works it works. I suppose a possible variant on that is for someone with a magical rank higher than their Psyche rank the safest level of power that they could access would be at their Psyche rank with penalties and possible injury resulting from trying to use more power than they've Psyche to safely handle.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 18, 2008 08:18AM
that's certainly one way of addressing it if you want to allow for magic potential surpassing Psyche to manipulate it.

January 18, 2008 08:41AM
Well it does seem a reasonable compromise and they do depict characters with just such rankings (I believe Talisman I for example fit that heading as did Magick I).

-- Peter David

January 22, 2008 07:57AM
According to Joe Quesada, no, since Magic can do anything and follows no real rules, so a mage already has all powers/power stunts.

According to most everyone else, yes, since Magic does follow it's own rules, just like Mutation or Super-Science/Super-Technology.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.