Just a note

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just a note
January 12, 2008 03:08AM
Fighting online is like racing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.
Re: Just a note
January 12, 2008 10:50AM
Have mommy put some ice on it.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 12, 2008 02:26PM
And my point is proven for me. Though I was going to make this a thread about general etiquette.
January 12, 2008 07:49PM
And some iodine.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 12, 2008 09:31PM
As I was saying, Rules of common courtesy on internet/online-games/Forums.

1-If you have a problem with someone. Either keep your mouth shut, or use private messages or Ims to dicuss your problems like an adult.

2-If you must air your problems in public. Use courtesy and respect. Especially if you expect to recieve respect and courtesy in return.

3-Use facts and information sources, not insults, to prove your points. To do otherwise just shows a lack of intellect and capability on your part.

Any other suggestions for Rules of Etiquette?
January 12, 2008 10:28PM
1 ) Where'd you learn to spell, the United States education system?

Just because someone has poor spelling does not mean their point is not valid. Everyone should be listened to. Unless you are on the Good Spellers of America forum. Then, maybe you can spend your time correcting people. But when someone has a valid complaint, coming back with, "You spelled rulz wrong. It's spelled rules..." is not helping solve the problem at hand.

2 ) You limey bastard. Go back to England!

This world of the internet is an international community. Unlike here in Iowa, I have friends on the 'net from England, Canada and some Scandanavian country I can't remember the name of. Insulting an enemy's nationality is off limits, especially since you also may have just insulted half your friends, too.

3 ) Your mother is a @#$%&.

Unless you're good friends with someone, mentioning their mother in almost any way is not good manners. Especially in the midst of a debate.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
January 13, 2008 12:15AM
I'm a bit lost here. Somebody want to fill me in on what happened? Your Humble Servant? The Beyonders? Mark? What gives?

Nevermind.....perhaps I don't want to know.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 13, 2008 01:01AM
TLD, I believe the point of this thread is to simply be a discussion exercise in sharing ideas on what constitutes general politeness and respect for our fellow posters, as well as good netiquette in general -- things it never hurts us to remember and try to practice.

Thankfully, the forums here have generally been far less plagued by flaming, insults, and other boorish behavior than many other such boards around the net. Unfortunately, there have been some regrettable instances. There have even been a few instances of Aunt Petunia having to ban individuals due to extremely poor behavior.

Hopefully, if we consciously think about what it means to behave more politely, even in words on the net, we'll keep this a truly enjoyable place to visit, as well as a place where newcomers will feel welcome.

That said, Mark adds good points about not insulting people's spelling errors (even a person as generally anal about his own spelling as myself makes typos now and then), as well as not throwing cheap and crude jabs at someone's Nationality or relations -- which I would politely point out includes not insulting others in general, and certainly not taking shots at ethnicity, sexuality, personal beliefs, or any other such categories.

However, nuances can be lost and easily misinterpreted in mere text, so I would add that the benefit of the doubt be granted. Let us not assume someone is being rude or insulting. Perhaps they didn't intend a comment the way we interpreted it. Those who choose to be deliberately rude and belligerent will likely leave no doubts or ambiguities with their offenses.
January 13, 2008 01:04AM
Just certain individuals dont seem to know common courtesy. So I figured to put up a thread that might show them some pointers.
January 13, 2008 06:33AM
1-If you have a problem with someone. Either keep your mouth shut, or use private messages or Ims to dicuss your problems like an adult.

Uh, I didn't start this thread, you did, Mr. "I have broken mens jaws for less than you have said to me." Really wanna go there?

2-If you must air your problems in public. Use courtesy and respect. Especially if you expect to recieve respect and courtesy in return.

Spite your face with a chainsaw, Pinocchio.

3-Use facts and information sources, not insults, to prove your points. To do otherwise just shows a lack of intellect and capability on your part.

NPC stands for non-player character, idiot.

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 06:37AM by The Beyonders.
January 13, 2008 11:53AM
Wow, you can almost feel the love...no wait, that's just gas... My mistake.
January 13, 2008 11:54AM
::yawn:: I've heard people say worse when I was in second grade. it's the internet, people are a lot ballsier when they can say what they want behind the safety of a computer screen. Accept. Move on. If you let it get to you, the other guy has already won.

January 13, 2008 12:05PM
Well said Capo.
January 13, 2008 02:33PM
I'm in agreement with Capo, and Gamma-man/Ragnarok. Let it go, ignore the rumblings and find some new
real estate. The people who're aggravating you, YHS, want attention and validation. Don't give them that. I'm
ignoring those with ego issues. I got better things to do and better games to play...now where'd I put my damn
dice?

Niniri

January 13, 2008 02:43PM
For my part, I was perfectly willing to let Your Humbled Servant continue in my PBEM game with the (I suppose recently revealed to him) understanding that recurring NPC characters are the domain of the GM (me), but apparently not being in charge of my game wasn't good enough for him. Hence the sulk fest pathetically imparted here as some sort of back-handed "call for civility."

If I could feign a sense of fear for my life without rolling hysterically in front of authorities tasked with prosecuting "cyber-threats," YHS could find himself in a worse funk than the "real life" hell of being grounded from his X-Box for not taking out his parent's trash.

Good day, gentlemen.

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 02:45PM by The Beyonders.
January 13, 2008 03:18PM
NiniriAZ,

I'm not aware of any "personality conflicts" you may have with me or any remaining players in my PBEM, and it wasn't / isn't my intention to run out and discover them. I too "just want to play Marvel" - provided it is being done so correctly. The doors to my PBEM game remain open to you next time I start recruiting the next batch of players. Other Judges that come along to run games set in the shared campaign multiverse that I'm building will have their own guidelines and quotas. Mine are fairly easy to grasp, I believe, but I'm a stickler on the whole "players should at least know how to play" concept. It's not an "ego" thing, more a "don't waste my time" thing. One I caught before the game even began. The other caught himself. None of this has to do with you. I hope you'll give the Purple game a whirl in the future. I think you'll like it.

-----
January 18, 2008 07:32PM
Its all cool Nini,

I am not allowing anyone to upset me. I justv started this thread to point out some basic internet courtesy, since I see a lack of it out there in the electronic world. I would even welcome Beyonder to post something of merit. I am not upset with him, he is not that important to me. He and I had a disagreement and I felt it was best to leave before it escalated as it seemed to do with Nightmask and him. He feels the need to continue the arguement, I do not. I wish him well and hope his game goes well. But I will not let him draw me into a childish war of words on the internet. I have a real life to deal with, and have many other gaming options.

Thanks All,

Your Humble Servant,

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 07:39PM by YOUR HUMBLE SERVANT.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.