Do Watchers watch Watchers?

Posted by luciddreamer86 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do Watchers watch Watchers?
January 11, 2008 01:32PM
Okay, so the Watcher who lives on the moon in the Marvel Universe can view other realities through his various devices. My question is: Are there alternate reality versions of the Watcher or other watchers? Do those Watchers observe the mainline Marvel Universe reality as an "alternate" reality? I'm trying to remember if I've seen a Watcher involved in a What If? story as anything other than an observer. I know there is a storyline in What If? volume 2 that involves a Watcher getting involved in the action, but that was probably Uatu from the Marvel Universe. Thanks, I was just wondering after reading a What If? story.
Re: Do Watchers watch Watchers?
January 11, 2008 06:33PM
Yes Watchers watch other watchers. They also watch alternates of themselves. We see this in What if the Avengers fought Galactus.

January 11, 2008 06:51PM
Did they ever show any Watcher other than Uatu and his alternate dimension counterparts watching his counterparts? As something of a deviant in their culture I always thought he was the only one with a transdimensional scanner (apparently supplied by the Time Keepers as we saw in that 5-part what-if) to look into other timelines, although Watchers watching others inside their own dimension seems reasonable, particularly if what they're assigned to watch overlaps or have reason to want to watch one another (like when they check up on Uatu to be sure he's behaving).

Then again after Quasar got involved during that wave of suicides triggered by that thought introduced by Maelstrom his cure might have subtly changed their reasoning, once they realized that you can't exist without having some influence on the world around you so more independent actions on the part of other Watchers might be possible.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 11, 2008 09:31PM
Ha! I love the Iron Man versus Cap picture.
January 12, 2008 03:09AM
I've always wondered if Uatu watches all alternate realities simultaneously, or if he watches one and has the infinite others on some sort of Cosmic TiVo to watch later.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 12, 2008 11:26PM
lol to cosmic Tivo. Yes, I suppose as host/producer of the What If stories he would have to watch them all and decide which ones were worthy of observation.
January 14, 2008 02:27PM
There are specific Watchers who watch Watchers. They are called Watcher Watchers. I'm not sure who watches them, though.

:)

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
January 14, 2008 03:59PM
Mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are specific Watchers who watch Watchers.
> They are called Watcher Watchers. I'm not sure who
> watches them, though.
>
> :)

The Watchmen :P

Quack, damn you...
January 14, 2008 10:50PM
LoL. Well I suppose a Watcher pays attention to anything within the scope of his senses, even another Watcher. Now the real question is:

Would the Watcher who is being watched, no the other Watcher was watching him? Assuming of course that the Watcher being watched is not watching the other Watcher who is watching him.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2008 10:51PM by The Last Duskblade.
January 14, 2008 11:46PM
Then Uatu breaks into song...

"I always feel like somebody's watching me..."

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 15, 2008 12:00AM
Meanwhile, whoever is watching Uatu, dances like Sting and starts singing....

"I've been watching you..."

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 01:52AM
Watchers tend to know or eventually detect someone watching them since those long-range spying powers are detectable by the target with the appropriate powers and the powers of a Watcher are fine for detecting being watched as well. The only Watcher the others can't watch is Aaron the Rogue Watcher since he built a suit specifically to shield against the senses of other Watchers.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 15, 2008 01:54AM
Pretty smart of him considering he was a bit of a dreamer and a total nut.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 02:28AM
Well he was still a Watcher after all, even if he grew up obsessed with action and adventure from growing up in a society lacking in passion and focused on squashing all emotion and concern for others out of fear that they might do wrong. The Watchers are pretty much the Marvel example of the ultimate cowards (other than Uatu and Aaron), so afraid of making a mistake that they refuse to do anything even if it cost them their lives or even result in the end of Reality. They made one mistake early on in their existence and instead of learn from it they ran instead and haven't stopped running since.

-- Peter David

January 15, 2008 02:36AM
Interesting interpretation. I've never thought of them as cowards before, but I suppose there is something to that.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 02:46AM
I think if you refuse to take any action, no matter how minor, because of the possible consequences you're a coward. Watchers refuse to take any action because it might possibly be wrong in someone's interpretation and they so fear being wrong as to let others die as a result. Only Uatu has learned from his time watching earth and its heroes that sometimes you must act even if you might be wrong and does as best he can to help out within the opressive rules his society forces upon him. Other than in a few alternate timelines (like that of the Guardians of the Galaxy) Aaron has yet to learn that but he's still an immature member of his society and for some odd reason the longer a race lives the longer that they expect child-hood and child-like behavior to go on. We can see that with the Eternals as well, the one named Sprite is millenia old and yet is treated like a misbehaving child instead of as an adult when he does things he shouldn't.

-- Peter David

January 15, 2008 08:44PM
lol to song
January 16, 2008 04:22PM
Yes they are the Ultimate Stalkers:D
January 20, 2008 07:33PM
Haha!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.