Classic versus Marvel Universe

Posted by TheGreenDragon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Classic versus Marvel Universe
January 06, 2008 08:16AM
I am interested in running a Marvel RPG and would like to know the pros and cons of the classic game and the one with stones? Which is better? Why?
Re: Classic versus Marvel Universe
January 07, 2008 07:00AM
I've played both of them and they each have perks and drawbacks. I really like the Resources chart in the stones game, but the stones game has a huge flaw... if a character doesn't have a high Body attribute, they won't have much energy to spend... and energy is king in that game. So characters like Cyclops get screwed by the game mechanics. He can't even fire his full powered optic blast because he only gets 9 stones of energy. Then Iron Man (who is seriously broken in that game) has absolutely everything. It's a good idea that gets broken down quickly by the inconsistencies and faults of the system.

The MSHRPG has issues as well, but nowhere near as many as the stones system does. Make mine Classic Marvel!

January 07, 2008 07:54AM
Well that game was supposed to be geared towards little kids, so form would probably hold sway over function.

January 08, 2008 11:05PM
I absolutely HATED HATED HATED the stones ! What the hell were they thinking !?! It's no big wonder that game flopped. Horrible game system, horrible game.(td) I want my dice !

The closest thing to this game that I've played that actually pulled off a similar system well was the game "Fireborn" by Fantasy Flight Games (which is way cool because you get to role play as a human who was a dragon in an alternate existance and you get to basically role play as a human and a dragon in another world simultaniously) The system for that game was very similar and worked REALLY well for the theme.
January 09, 2008 12:26PM
I'm with Blacklight. The bloody stones thing didn't make any sense to a 'traditional' pencil/dice/paper gamer
like me. Been doing dice for 28 years now...so if I could figure it out when I was 11, why can't most of these
kids today? (And, admittedly some do.. :) so we have more gamers coming up in the world!)

Cheers,

Niniri

January 10, 2008 10:26PM
I can be as progressive as the next guy but classic is the ONLY way to go for me!
January 11, 2008 04:20AM
Can you take the Stones rules, minus the stones?
January 11, 2008 04:32AM
I think there were several tries at it, but it never really worked right from the stuff I saw/read
on a list devoted to that game system.

Cheers,

Niniri

January 11, 2008 07:49AM
I still use the Stones game's Resources system for my Classic Marvel games. I prefer dollars to ranks.

January 13, 2008 11:57AM
I just think that a game where Cyclops can never fire his eyebeams at full power because of some weird body stat/energy stat correllation means he'll never have enough energy stones to use his power as designed is dumb. Marvel has its issues, but I can use the classic system to run any game in any genre I want. I'll just stick with what works.

January 13, 2008 06:13PM
The SAGA system is infinitely better than the Marvel Universe system as well.

TAG
January 19, 2008 03:14PM
So what is the most up to date classic marvel core rulebook?
January 22, 2008 07:49AM
I remember this game.

I hated it. Could never get over how broken the system was. (IIRC, being able to stretch your body 200 feet cost the same as being able to throw your voice 10 feet.)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
January 22, 2008 09:07AM
Well dang, welcome back, Dr...

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.