Spidey and the United Nations

Posted by G.A.W. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spidey and the United Nations
January 03, 2008 11:03PM
sounds nice and wholesome but I'm not a fan of Marvel using Spiderman to shill for the United Nations and there agenda with the chance of child indoctrination. and yet maybe it will be a good thing.

Hard to trust an organazation who has caused more trouble after it's inception then helped ( but it has done some good too! )
ever since the U.N. Oil for food scandel worth billions and the rape of women in Africa scandel not a fan!

WHAT IS MARVEL DOING???

[www.worldnetdaily.com]
Joe
Re: Spidey and the United Nations
January 03, 2008 11:32PM
G.A.W. you read Worldnetdaily? I knew there was something I liked about you. :)
Joe
January 03, 2008 11:32PM
G.A.W. you read Worldnetdaily? I knew there was something I liked about you. :)
January 03, 2008 11:42PM
Yeah, they aren't going to like my version of the U.N. when I get my long over due comic book out.

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
January 03, 2008 11:55PM
Wow. Jingoist propaganda, anyone?

The Rook
Joe
God Bless America. nt
January 04, 2008 06:26AM
God Bless America.
January 04, 2008 02:38PM
Marvel is going after money and not really caring how false or misleading the image they send is. Given the awful treatment of Spider-man of late, especially One More Day, it's not surprising that they'd tack yet another low point onto his character's career.

The UN for example does little if anything to combat things like poverty and disease, and nothing to combat conflict. It has no power to do anything and the only real muscle it has comes from the US. While the concept of the UN is laudible, creating a governing body that would rule over the various nations like the Federal government does over the states, in application it's just a place where everyone gets together to argue or threaten one another and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't protest them at some point, must be someone out there who'd jump onto a school for distributing such misleading propaganda.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 04, 2008 04:09PM
If *some* nations which directly benefit from exploiting poorer nations' resources weren't constantly hamstringing the UN, they might have a better impact in making the world a better, safer, more peaceable place for ALL people.

No names though. None needed, eh?
January 05, 2008 11:31AM
Ya mean like France, Russia and the UK exploiting the oil for food program to make Billions on others suffering then I agree with you. ( i'm sure the U.S. is still the great satan in many peoples eyes. yawn. )

Personally the U.N. has over the years besmirched the U.S even though we house and fund them ecomically more than any other country. I think it's time for some other country to take over and House the UN ( maybe Switzerland ) from now on. get it out of New York City.- Did ya know they won't even let the Boy Scouts to hold functions on the Different UN properties -not only in NY but else where in the U.S.- weird huh?

What Nightmask said was dead on about the UN and Marvel and spidey. It just disappoints me even though I know why it happens.
January 05, 2008 01:37PM
The US hasn't paid dues to the United Nations is *years*. Certainly not since the Bush administration, who let a man serve as ambassador who *didn't think his own job was relevant*.

No nation is "evil". Let me repeat that: *NO NATION IS EVIL*. A government can be corrupt and self-serving, but to call the entire citizenry of a country "evil" is a bit simplistic.

I think this conversation is quickly devolve into some right vs. left thing, and I'm already uninterested. I'm just not willing to engage this argument considering I'm the very liberal minority.

Instead, let's shift focus to the actual topic of this post. The UN is sending these Spidey comics to kids in lesser developed nations.

If a kid in Swaziland picks up the comic book and likes the art, maybe he'll pick up a paintbrush instead of an assault rifle.

If a kid in Cambodia reads the comic and decides that instead of joining a local militia, he sees a less violent way of resolving issues, then I'm all for it.

I hope that everyone can agree that kids enjoying comics is a good thing. Likewise, I hope we all can agree that *decreasing* violence in the world is a good goal.

My guess--and admittedly, neither the "news" article originally cited or the UN website have made it clear--is that Marvel has donated these comic books, or at the very least, the licensing and image of Spider-Man. I can't imagine them making money off of this.

Also, giving a kid a comic book, especially in the nations where these are likely to be distributed, will likely be what Christmas feels like in the US. I know it's hard for most of us to wrap our brains around it, but the money spent solely to print and send the comic often rivals many people's *income* for several weeks.

I just can't see anything so bad about a small something that brings joy to what-ought-to-be-criminally poor children.
January 05, 2008 01:43PM
Well said, Bobby Zero, well said.

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
January 05, 2008 05:19PM
Decreasing violence and the United Nations is a oxymoron. PLEASE CHECK.

And my point is I find the Marvel company involving themselves with U.N. an organazation which I find mostly ( historically ) a FAILURE the main disappointment.

If you wish me to make a list of failures of the U.N. let me know.

As far as a right vs. left thing I don't know what you mean. One can be a Democrate or Rebublican or even like myself Independent and think of the U.N. as a powerless peace-keeping scanel-ridden, rape fest mess.

I agree that if someone finds joy in comics thru this thing THAT'S FINE. maybe Marvel should give spidey-comics to the rape victims or even the boy-scouts.
January 05, 2008 11:08PM
Probably a good idea to not debate the merits of the UN on here from the looks of things, already had things get way too hot and left a lot of people on edge and more sensitive than usual. Like any large body it has a lot of problems to go along with the things it does get right, just like Congress. I think if the UN wasn't using Spider-man or the FF to try and fix their image problems with propaganda and instead were doing actual work to fix the actual problems causing that bad image it'd be a far better thing. As far as Marvel not making money off of it of course they will, if only due to the advertising helping encourage comic sales and let them use their philanthropic efforts with the comics to improve their own image which has suffered due to various events that'd also generate a lot of heat on here and have already done so, although with more control and stopping shy of an actual flame war.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 06, 2008 07:03PM
I'm done participating in this particular conversation, I think. I see it for the doomed ship that it is, and can't see anything positive coming from it.

That, and I'm unwilling to have such a debate with someone who uses "shouting" as a means to prove a point, nor do I find the condescending, jingoistic tone to my liking.

So, that's that. Best of luck.
January 06, 2008 08:02PM
Come on, people... this forum was never supposed to be about politics, at least not heavy into real world politics. Yikes.

January 06, 2008 09:43PM
I agree. not about politics. I let my disgust of the U.N.and Marvel's decision to get involved with them influence my post with others that are apologists for it.

don't know about shouting though. highlighting a phrase is not the same thing.

NOTE:------I also became unfairly paranoid pregognitive with me assuming Marvel would produce new comics that would use spiderman to push the U.N. body. instead of just innocently passing out free comics. my bad.
But if I find out this happens you will be seeing this thread again and my disapointment.

Forgive me I'm an anti-globalist and do not trust the U.N. and many other organazations.

as for Bobby Zero - your right, there was no point in expressing my biased POV on this. I regret even posting this topic.
January 06, 2008 11:30PM
Well, my politics tend to fall on the libertarian-right side of the spectrum, so I'm somewhat all for getting the "United Nations" off American soil with a wrecking ball, and rather ambiguous about letting the people in the buildings get out the way first.

I'm disappointed that Marvel is doing this.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.