New member interested in starting a gaming group.

Posted by Spartan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New member interested in starting a gaming group.
January 02, 2008 10:00PM
I've lurked on this site for years and I thought it time I join up and post.

The main reason I'm posting is because I'm interested in starting a message board format play-by-post MSH game(s) and I wanted to see if anyone here might be interested in something like that. I realize that play-by-post is slower, but it s nature allows myself and potential players to avoid scheduling conflicts and the like.

Ostensibly the games I have in mind will seem to be geared towards "newbies" to the more experienced players since I'm new to the world of GMing. I would like to start with the revised Basic Set rules and move on to the Advanced set rules, and character creation, later. I would also like to find players willing and interested in playing established characters and pre-made adventures... at least for awhile--till I get my bearings as a GM.

I've come to realize that role-playing takes artistic empathy and commitment from all involved and I would like to forge solid on-line gaming friendships. I just don't see this working any other way. I want to learn how to run and play this game to the fullest and have a blast doing it. Eventually I'd like others to GM and get a chance to play myself.

The "universe" I have in mind would be akin to the one featured in "Marvel: Ultimate Alliance." Clearly set in the present day, but featuring familiar and idealized representations of Marvel heroes, villains, and organizations.

If this interests anyone reading this please let me know.
Re: New member interested in starting a gaming group.
January 02, 2008 10:28PM
Spartan,

I'm interested in your play by post game. Please clearly outline your rules for character creation and I will submit a character to you.

How many players are you looking for?

TLD
January 02, 2008 11:39PM
Spartan,

I am committed to another game right now, so I'm not sure I will have the time to in your game. Still, I'm interested...please do post your guidelines (as TLD said above) and as I determine how much time I have on my hands, I'll let you know if I can play or not.

Deal? :D

The Rook
(who likes making new friends too!)

PS...Check your PMs for another, super-secret question!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2008 11:40PM by The Rook.
January 03, 2008 06:44AM
I'm not up for a new group (I'm swamped with too many offline as it is), but welcome to the forums! :)

January 03, 2008 02:20PM
Welcome to the forums as well. Thanks for the invite but I'm strickly an old school table top (pencil & paper) RPG gamer. Again, welcome to the forums.

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
January 03, 2008 06:20PM
Hey. Welcome, as welcome as can be welcomed. Which is pretty welcome, frankly.

Your game sounds interesting, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. As others have requested, some details regarding character creation would certainly be nice.
Though I can't say for certain I'll be free, there's a reasonably good chance.
January 03, 2008 06:37PM
Welcome, and pleased to meat you! I, too, am old school tabletop myself, so I'll ask you what I ask everyone:

You wouldn't happen to live near Tucson, would you?

Cheers!

January 03, 2008 06:55PM
Man, there's a lot of MSH gamers in AZ!

The Rook
(just jealous)
January 03, 2008 07:58PM
Thanks to all. I don't have character creation guidelines at the moment. The reason for this is for the first few adventures, I'd prefer the players to use established characters. I would like to run some of the modules designed for certain hero groups to get a feel of all the different adventure levels and styles.

My goal is to use this as a base to learn the game and THEN move on to character creation and adventure design. I can say that I much prefer the character point creation method to random rolling so I will be using that method in the future.
January 03, 2008 08:33PM
Well, i don's care too much for pregenerated characters, but I remain interested nonwithstanding.
Particularly seeing as my grasp on the rules merits some tightening, and his is a golden opportunity.

Yeah, Arizon a pretty popular place. i live in Gilbert myself. Incredibly large "town".
January 03, 2008 11:30PM
After some thought I think it might be more fun to go ahead and allow character creation. It seems that few people want to play pre-generated characters anyway.

I still want to use the revised basic rules to start, and I'm sure I can find ways to adapt adventures to a custom team.

Since I've decided to allow original characters, I'll look at the character point creation system and decide how I'd like to set limits. I would like to keep things "traditional" and "balanced" and avoid power-gaming. Just more fun from my perspective.

Remember, I'm not just looking for players--I'm looking for players who are willing to cooperate in creating a fun game. I welcome input.
January 03, 2008 11:36PM
Wow, the system works! Well, I'll do my best to do my best, but we'll see how good that is.
January 04, 2008 12:05AM
I'm with Collin; even if I don't end up playing--I'd be glad to give you help, as I can. I'm no "rules virtuoso"--there's plenty of those here, if you need them--but I *am* an experience MSH Judge. If you need advice, what-have-you, just ask.

Just remember this: WE PLAY THE GAME TO HAVE FUN. No matter what you do, if you and your players are having a good time, none of the other stuff matters. That's all framework to facilitate that objective.

Remember that rule and you'll be well on your way!

The Rook
(who thinks he need to move to AZ!)
January 04, 2008 02:23AM
Amen.

TLD
January 04, 2008 08:15AM
C'mon down, Rook! The weather's fine! :D

I'm in Chandler, to be exact--so Howdy Neighbor to Colin!

Cheers,

Niniri

January 05, 2008 02:10AM
I know...there's a LOT to like about AZ. But I'd have a hard time leaving the snow behind.... :(

The Rook
January 05, 2008 02:28AM
Mesa, AZ here. And my main players of seven which includes my wife don't even log on this site. So yes, there are a lot of unlisted MSH Gamers here as well. Hey collin152, look me up sometime for my weekly Fri & Saturday sessions if yer ever bored. I run a game on Friday and sometimes Saturday when one of my players (who is trying on the GM role) has nothing planned. It's a nice break for me when he does, well sort of.

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
January 05, 2008 10:03AM
Hey, we still got snow--up in Flagstaff! They're high country, AND ski resorts up
there! :)

Cheers, Niniri

January 06, 2008 03:09AM
Hmmm...looking at jobs for Engineers in AZ on Monster and Yahoohotjobs....

The Rook
January 06, 2008 03:23PM
Far out, Man! Maybe we can turn Arizona into a new gaming mecca, since TSR left Lake Geneva ages ago! Colin, can you make it to AZCon? If no, well, I do frequent the Renaissance festival every year...

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.