Clarifying power stunts

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Clarifying power stunts
January 02, 2008 04:02AM
I understand that, Nightmask. I understand that you're upset. But you still don't have the right to dictate what another person says or does on a public forum. If you're upset by his conduct, I suggest you take it up with Aunt Petunia and have him censured in that fashion. That's valid. But I would caution you against TELLING somebody what they're allowed to say or do when you don't have the authority to do so by virtue of the ownership of this space.

The Rook
January 02, 2008 06:56AM
As am I.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 02, 2008 07:03AM
I've modeled the blood of a character with two slot Regeneration as being devastatingly poisonous to vampires of the classical undead variety as a spiteful Power Stunt the Regen character being bitten can do. Does power rank rotting touch damage to the vampire's innards.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
Joe
January 02, 2008 07:30AM
Food poisoning! :)
January 02, 2008 07:40AM
I still think it would be a power stunt. We're talking about developing a power similar to the one Angel has... Healing Blood. That's not circumstantial. That's an outright power that in a Regenerator's case would be directly related to his Regeneration power. I'm talking about dripping blood onto a wound and causing those wounds to disappear.

The transfusion method? I agree, that's more circumstantial, but I knew the Claire example would be more readily known by people offhand.

January 02, 2008 03:21PM
A regenerator using his blood to heal somebody else...?
Well, wouldn't blood just generate more blood?
You'd need flesh to replicate flesh, which would probably work best with grafting.

However, If you'r power stunt was to be ble to regenerate any kind of tissue from any kind of tissue, then your blood has special properties. That's the kind of regeneration that lets you regrow your entire body from a few nerve cells.

Generally though, I prefer when regenerators are resigned to be the one that gets hit the hardest so that the villain can show off just how powerful he is.
January 02, 2008 04:12PM
I don't believe I said anyone's views were invalid if they didn't match my own. Disagreeing, at least as far as I knew, didn't mean you were rejecting out of hand as worthless someone else's opinion just because it didn't match your own. Disagreeing, at least to me, means that while you've looked at the other viewpoint you just don't find it providing foundation enough to either accept their viewpoint wholeheartedly or modify yours to incorporate parts of their viewpoint you do find reasonable. I am entitled to disagree with you aren't I, or are my views invalid because I'm disagreeing with you?

As far as the Gateway power stunts go, Anatomical Separation would qualify as one since the actual power does refer to being maintained (at least the default description for it in the UPB ) by mini-gates.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2008 04:12PM by Nightmask.
January 02, 2008 04:39PM
Well, you have strong opinions, and you defend them violently. Looks like a little more htan just idsagreement, but then again, who am I to question Nightmask?
Who am I to think he might be putting a little too mcuh vehemence in his retorts?
January 02, 2008 04:57PM
Hmmmmm, so you feel someone using words like 'illiterate' and 'arrogant pig' is using well-thought out and considerate terms when disagreed with, and someone taking offense at such is overreacting do you? Since the insults didn't start on my side and eventually people get tired of being attacked and even when Capo and I have disagreed on things we managed a greater level of civility, for which I now have even greater respect for him after all this. At least when it got bad enough to require someone saying 'okay we're done we aren't going to bring this up anymore' it stopped, rather than pulling it over to other threads just to keep it going.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 02, 2008 05:26PM
Did I say that? My, perhaps I'm a better ventriloquist then i previously believed.
January 03, 2008 12:59PM
Look at it this way.

The Human Torch's "Nova Flame" began its career as a power stunt.

Now it's a power (with built in limitations) he can use at any time. (with the limitation that it reduces / burns out his flame generation powers and knocks him unconscious for a while).

Practice with the Nova Flame (hopefully on someone else's planet) in time may remove the "burns out flame generation / knocks unconscious" limitation.

Make more sense in campaign progression than Human Torch's "I've got X karma saved up, now my character can do...." and appearing in the next game with the power to make his nova flame blast a giant duplicate of himself that walks around like some ungodly flame elemental from an AD&D game.

Power stunts + in game practice with power stunt + karma spent to buy off limitations = new power, cheaper, and developed in game play.

-----
January 03, 2008 01:46PM
Well, yep! :)

The vampire took a bite of the Regenerator character, and the player asked, "What does my regenerating blood do to this vampire?" So I allowed him to spend the Karma (100) to attempt the first time power stunt of doing damage to the vampire equivalent to his Regeneration powers rank, and he paid enough Karma to ensure the Regeneration power FEAT attempt would roll red.

So, the vampire took damage, enough to bring its Health to zero. I described the effect as "rotting touch" damage, and the vampire went all dusty like.

The second time the Regenerator character attempted the power stunt of doing spiteful damaging things with his blood to a vampire ("Hey guys, smear my blood on your swords so we can fight our way out of here!") I allowed it because it wasn't technically a power stunt then, but the other players had to "reload" their swords by stabbing the Regenerator character. Made for great fun. :D

But spiting a bite from a vampire the second time still required a Red FEAT Regen power rank roll of the Regenerator up until it was his third attempt at spiting a vamp, then it was a Yellow roll. After that, it was a green FEAT. His blood would do his Regen rank damage to a vampire touching his blood from thereon out.

But... the character that did it in my game didn't get off so lightly. (He and the other players had things in store for him at the next sunset, hehehe.)

"Think its funny to have stabbed the Regenerator now, beeyotches?"

-----
January 03, 2008 02:15PM
Nightmask is referring to me taking offense to his tone. Telling me to "go read the rules" while we're discussing those is pig-headed arrogance. Your mileage may vary.

A micro-environment is itself a tesseract geometry, a "cube within a cube" if you will, with the inner cube (or whatever shape you make the micro-environment) having the conditions of the environment set by the player using the power and the outer cube being the environmental conditions outside the micro-environment that are being resisted.

If a player's micro-environment power is great enough to resist extreme gravity (gravity manipulator's attacks, the Sun, etc.) without having to increase the gravity in his own micro-environment to compensate (making resisting outside gravity attacks rather pointless), that player can do the same, mid air, on Earth, no power stunt required.

-----
January 03, 2008 06:08PM
Much as I may or may agree, that seems to have fairly little to do with power stunts.

Though in general, this whole thread kinda looks like a lure to somehow get you to start another argument.
But maybe I just don't understand how important it is for people not to have fun and enjoyable power stunts for their character.
January 03, 2008 06:35PM
That still wouldn't account for some people who can already regenerate doing that while others, who would benefit just as much, die.
Plus, focus and meditate all you want, a mere mortal cannot regrow a kidney.
January 03, 2008 06:36PM
I'd still say it's just a new application of his powers of Fire Generation and Control. It's not a stunt anymore, as reliable as it is, but it's just an extension of his power now.
January 03, 2008 09:28PM
Power
-Body Transformation Self

Stunts
-Body Transformation Other

-Growth-Atomic Gain-By Assimilating materials s/he is transformed into

-Regeneration-See Growth

Power
-Dimensional Travel

Stunts
-Phasing-By partial travel to alternate dimension

-Biophysical Control-Disruption-Partially phase others to alternate dimension

Power
-Phasing

Stunts
-Mind Control-Puppetry-Phase in and take over

-Phase others

-Bio Control Disruption-Partially phase others
January 04, 2008 03:09AM
Yes, now.

But the first three times he did it, it was a "power stunt."

-----
January 04, 2008 03:17AM
That's more like pushing a existing power to perform better (i.e. at the next rank level) rather than developing a new power via a power stunt. It's a little different than stunting away to getting a new ability out of a power (around 400 karma, with 3 successes at attempting the same stunt)

A GM paying attention to a character who spends Karma to push his powers into the next highest rank rather that stunting something new should take that into account when the player comes knocking with his saved up Karma to buy a rank increase in that power, and cut him a discount.

-----
January 04, 2008 03:27AM
I'm here for the forum, not for the fighting. Bait's for fish.

But my point is micro-environment creates the platform to stand on mid-air. The power stunt would be to contract that M.E. into a skin-tight field AND walk on air / into space with it, totally immune to gravity outside the ME up to power rank level.

-----

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.