Thor vs. Doomsday

Posted by analyst 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thor vs. Doomsday
December 20, 2007 10:57PM
Hello All,

How are you all? Lately a friend and I were debating who would win in a battle between Thor and Doomsday. The question is an intrigueing one. Does Doomsday, the killer of Superman and as unstoppable a force as there is in comics win. Or does Thor, the premier powerhouse hero of marvel, the combatant to Ymir, trolls and Loki and stood toe to toe with the Midgard Serpant win. Initially, I thought Doomsday would prevail but taking a closer look at the comics and game mechanics I have come to the conclusion that Thor would win. Whay say you?
Re: Thor vs. Doomsday
December 21, 2007 12:04AM
Thor has a good variety of things working for him. His strenght is great, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the different magics that he could implement. He may be able to defeat Doomsday without any real melee. If it was played just right he could trap Doomsday in the same dimension that he trapped Ymir and Surtur in. It was a place that was able to throw both of those powerful elementals into suspended animation.

Thor for the win.

TLD
December 21, 2007 02:32AM
Doomsday is on a rampage, tearing through the streets of downtown New York City.

Thor is the first to arrive on the scene, in flight hovering above Doomsday. Thor is wearing his gloves and magic belt. Mjolnir glows hot with power.

"Halt thine rampage at once, thou insolent Jotnar-kin! You hath bested the efforts of the mighty Kryptonian, who drinks deep of the invigorating light of fair Sunna! A mighy feat indeed, but 'tis only a mark! A marking rune-sign that thou art but another worthy opponent! But that is all! For I am Thor Odinson, GOD of Thunder and Birthsworn Protector of Midgard, *Strength Personified*, and thou art but destined to fall as the mountains do before the might of Mjolnir!"

Doomsday swiftly tosses a transit bus full of people at Thor, knocking him into a building and to the ground.

CRASH!

The building is critically damaged, the people in the bus are morgue meat. Thor picks himself off the ground, emerging from the rubble and wreckage mad as Muspelheim and Hel put together.

"I SAID HALT, THOU INSOLENT TROLL!"

Thor throws Mjolnir, crackling with lighting, with all his might at Doomsday, hitting the creature under the jaw.

KACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Mjolnir strikes furious and true, knocking Doomsday back, the impact force sending Doomsday flying upward in an arc and landing a mile offshore in the Atlantic Ocean.

Mjolnir returns to Thor's hand. Doomsday thrashes to the surface of the water, and begins swimming back towards Long Island.

"Nay, foul beast! Thou shalt kill no more mortals this day before I fall, and I will not fall!"

Thor winds back another mighty throw and Mjolnir strikes true upon Doomsday's head, pushing him DEEP under water.

KACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

A few moments later, Doomsday bursts from the water, a HUGE 50 foot tall spout of water beneath him. Doomsday is coughing up gallons of water but splashes back into the drink, thrashing back to the surface.

"NAY!"

Thor winds up the hammer, chanting in holy battlesong, and tosses the hammer once more, striking true.

KACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

The force of this impact pushes Doomsday deep beyond the surface and down through the bottom of the ocean floor, wedging him there in the stone and mud. A fairly large ripple wave crashes upon the beaches of Long Island.

Doomsday's lungs fill with water, and the crush depth pressures to his lungs are enormous. Though he need not breath (can survive in a vacuum) that much water in his lungs with no way to respire it out at that depth pressure sufficiently does enough internal damage for Doomsday to "drown." He will regenerated from this death with a water-breathing power in time.

The Avengers find Thor hovering over the water.

"I have contained this Jotnar but for a moment, perhaps a day. But it shall take all of us to slay him."

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 21, 2007 07:54AM
Iron Man asks "Thor, where is your hammer?"

"I dare not recall it to mine hand, for it layeth deep beneath these churning waters, and even the Serpent Jormungandr is not worthy enough to nudge it from off the Doomsday troll's chest. But this murderous Jotnar clutches his soul still even now, and may free himself from beneath Mjolnir. When that moment comes, we must be prepared to smite the very soul from this wretched thing, with all of our might!"

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 21, 2007 09:56AM
Not bad overall, although Doomsday's already adapted to have no problems with lack of air as well as extreme pressures, partly because he's got no real internal organs and is an undifferentiated mass for the most part, so being at the bottom of the ocean wouldn't be overly troublesome just from the pressure, just from his lack of ability to fly or swim (although he could probably adapt the ability to swim to deal with the situation).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 21, 2007 10:05AM
Well, he ain't lifting Mjolnir off his chest to get up off the bottom of the ocean regardless.

In my tabletop circles, this is known as the "boot."

He ain't going no where.

-----
December 21, 2007 10:22AM
Unless he adapts to it, I mean he DID manage to adapt to using a Green Lantern Power Ring enough to threaten the Guardians of the Galaxy until someone sacrificed his life to get the ring away from him. Plus he's canny, if he can't lift it off of himself he'd just dig his way through to the earth's core or find a way to simply turn over and let the hammer fall off of him. It's a useful delaying tactic but wouldn't hold him too long.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 21, 2007 10:42AM
Nay! Batter the earth he may, and shake the very lands of Midgard he will, but he can not "adapt" more strength or find leverage to raise himself even a fairy's hair from the ground Mjolnir holds him fast upon!

Besides, is it not written, the troll-kin doth not regenerate nor gain power in life anew unless he is slain?

-----
December 21, 2007 10:50AM
Given their leanings towards the nordic faith and Thor in particular I think your depictions of Thor-speech must be tickling Ragnarok and Powersurge pink. :)

Considering Doomsday grew his bone spikes and ridges during his battle with Superman not all of his adaptability requires him to die.

-- Peter David

December 21, 2007 11:07AM
Nay, the noble Kryptonian is blest with the yellow light of Sunna in his veins! He BEAT the bone shards from beneath the foul beast's flesh!

God I miss playing Thor....

Not so much that I like the character that much. I just like role-playing the whole "tell thee how I shalt whip thine @#$%&" and then do it effect.

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2007 11:14AM by The Beyonders.
December 21, 2007 11:11AM
*chuckles* Eager to get a group campaign world going so you can say 'Hey you GM I want to play Thor again, as a PC not an NPC!'? :)

-- Peter David

December 21, 2007 11:21AM
Not really, no.

But I expect Thor to be role-played that way. ;)

-----
December 21, 2007 11:34AM
*laughs and nods* I tend to RP and think of Paragon that way, with bold declarations and a take-charge/head-on attitude when dealing with tough opponents.

-- Peter David

December 21, 2007 12:15PM
The New Thor I would say, Thor has newer Tricks where Doomsday is all Brute Force.
December 21, 2007 08:09PM
Thanos would totally kick Doomsday's butt all over-- wait, what?

Oh, Thor? Ah heh, yes... I knew we were talking about Thor. Yes, well, I concur with Galactus1. New Thor doesn't give Doomsday a freaking chance, because he'll just pelt him from afar. Doomsday -is- strong enough to seriously threaten Thor in melee... it's just too bad he/it's not even close to the hand to hand fighter that the Odinson is.

All it would take would be for Doomsday to land one punch to realize the extent of his foe, and he'd treat him as if he were fighting Ymir himself. That would not end well for Doomsday, and if Thor truly does currently have Odin's wisdom and magical knowledge, he'd find a way to destroy Doomsday's soul, and that'd be the end of him.

December 22, 2007 12:02AM
Just get Ghost Rider to use Penance Stare on Doomsday and he'll have to chance his name to Happyday.
December 22, 2007 06:54AM
Not every creature is subject to the Penance Stare, and given to inflict suffering a target has to have some chance at a conscience I doubt it'd bother Doomsday, at least before his being weakened by being contaminated with Kryptonian DNA and reaching a level of sentience, and that might still not leave him vulnerable before learning about good and evil.

-- Peter David

December 22, 2007 06:58AM
Does Doomsday have a soul though, and since when could Thor or Odin destroy souls? I think Thor would go for a stalemate or less a victory and more a safe than sorry approach and just gate Doomsday somewhere he couldn't get out of on his own and trap him there, like Limbo or the core of a star.

-- Peter David

December 22, 2007 07:40AM
Eh....

Ghost Rider gave the Joker the Penance Stare in one of my games, forcing him to relive every murder he ever committed.

Joker became a Ghost Rider obsessed fan / stalker, addicted to the hilarious Penance Stare.

;)

-----
December 22, 2007 07:47AM
I think the best Thor could do to Doomsday is as I have it: Knock him down on his back, and set Mjolnir on his chest.

Yes, Doomsday's futile flailing will likely cause significant earthquake-like tremors, but at least his destructive rampage is stopped until a more off-planet (i.e. get Doomsday off the Earth) solution is found.

-----

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.