"NAME THAT CON!!!"

Posted by RAGNARoK 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"NAME THAT CON!!!"
December 17, 2007 09:32PM
As some of you might have overheard about a possible Gaming Con in AZ. Well, it's all true. I'm hosting a Gaming event for local gamers in Arizona on Jan 26th-28th 2008, starting 7pm on Friday and ending 5pm Sunday. Not limited to Arizona. If you wish to come. Please PM me for details. But I have one problem... What to name this Con? Please help me name this Arizona Con thing we are doing and post it on this thread. Here's a few suggestions that Surge and I have come up with.

Please place a little star (*) next to each Con name you like the best. Up to the maximum of 5 stars. Or place your own name you feel that would fit this small Arizona Con Event. I also placed the meaning/reasons for each name so that we are all on the same page.

PiquenoConAZ - (because it's so small)

AzCon - (Pronounces *As*- Con)

AzGamersCon - (Added the word "Gamer" to make the intention clearer)

ZoniCon - (Native Arizonan's have been know to be called Zoni's for some reason. I have yet figured out why we are called that.)

ZoniGamerCon (Add the word "Gamer" for the same reason as AzGamerCon)

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 09:39PM by RAGNARoK.
Re: "NAME THAT CON!!!"
December 17, 2007 11:42PM
There have been cons in the St. Louis area called "Name That Con."

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 17, 2007 11:52PM
Well, if I were going to leave an opening for later expansion to other states, I would go with a name that included the location. Such as your second choice...

.....AzCon or GamersCON-AZ

However, I think that the term gamers leaves a bit to much room for confusion. People may not know if your talking about, Monopoly, X-Box Live, or whatever.

How about....

RPGCON-AZ/CAL/OR/etc.

or

ROLE-CON

Or if the gaming your doing is only going to focus on dice oriented formats......

ROLLCON-AZ

What about throwing out the whole "CON" element and calling it the Arizona RPG Summit?

How about RPG-AZ The Gathering?

Then there is always RPG Gathering-AZ

Or RPG SUMMIT-AZ

Now that I think about it.....I like the first one.

PiquenoConAZ**

I've had no time to think about this but I will get back to you if I come up with a cool name. Great idea, I will try to make it if I am in L.A. around that time.

TLD
December 19, 2007 07:59PM
The Beyonders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There have been cons in the St. Louis area called
> "Name That Con."

Cool.

The Beyonders Wrote:
>Want to get in on the ground floor of a shared continuity merged Marvel / DC >universe PBEM / forum campaign project, starting in January 2008? Want to help?

I've done every online text base RPG ranging from Forums/Messenger/PBEM with very little enjoyment. I'm now strickly an Old School Table Top/Dice, Paper & Pencil Roleplayer. But thanx for asking none the less.

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically
December 19, 2007 08:13PM
Cool, if anyone does come. Just FYI, it's gonna be a Potluck weekend. Actually more of a Snack foods weekend of the Four Basic Gamers Food Groups, Caffiene, Salt, Sugars, Carbohydrate. So bring Chips, Dips, Treats Drinks of your choice.

I have the space to play but bills to pay. So if ya could help out with this request, it would be great.

On the "Name that Con"

I thought of another name...

OldSchoolRPG-AzCon

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

December 29, 2007 02:24AM
For those in the Local area of AZ who are showing up. Please PM me for details. I've yet to hear from anyone except Surge and I no longer live in Chandler NiniriAZ so if you are showing up to this micro Con of ours. please PM me. Thanx.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

PiquenoZoniGameComixYouKnowTheThingCon
December 30, 2007 10:07PM
"BUMP"

How about the one that Surge came up with in a email called,

PiquenoZoniGameComixYouKnowTheThingCon

Because it sounds funny?

I'm serious, PM me on the details if you're going. I only have until the end of January of 2008 to figure out who (locally or otherwise) will be showing up.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2007 10:14PM by RAGNARoK.
Re: PiquenoZoniGameComixYouKnowTheThingCon
December 31, 2007 11:04AM
Someone said that brevity is the soul of wit, or somesuch. With that in mind, AZCon is good, also ZoniCon. Plus, both have that nice Z sound, that makes it much cooler.

December 31, 2007 06:34PM
People call us Zonis?
December 31, 2007 08:08PM
Sorry man, I will not be able to make it out. Good luck.

TLD
January 01, 2008 09:11PM
collin152 Wrote:
> People call us Zonis?

Yep, I've been called zoni all the time.

The Last Duskblade Wrote:
> Sorry man, I will not be able to make it out.
> Good luck.
>
> TLD

Bummer, had no clue you were from AZ, bummer none the less.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

January 02, 2008 02:17AM
I'm from Ohio and just about snowed in, RAGNAROK, so I definitely won't be coming (though I really wish I could). I just wanted to tell you that I hope you and your players have a good time at (fill-in-the-blank)Con! That's a very cool idea, having your own Con!!! :D

The Rook
January 02, 2008 02:31AM
Not from Arizona, but currently in Los Angeles and I have friends I could have stayed with over there. But, alas, the schedule Gods will not allow it.

TLD
AzCon
January 02, 2008 12:02PM
I'll be sure to do something self sacrifice like while gaming in the name of all those who can't make it or something, yeah. :D

Okay,

AzCon

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

Re: AzCon
January 04, 2008 11:28PM
Congratualtions on starting small. In my job, I have to go to a LOT of fairs, conventions and festivals. The successful ones almost always have one thing in common: "Uh, the first year we started, we only had, like, eleven people show up. Now look at it!"

So I'm guessing that therein lies some sort of secret to success. This year, focus on everyone having a good time, and also doing things they can't necesarily do every day at home. So even though my advice was not sought, I thought I'd be annoying and give it anyway.

1) Start small. (your already doing that. do it right, and you'll increase a bit each year.)

2) Focus on everyone having a good time. (sounds obvious, but you're probably learning there are a ton of details and logistics that can end up becoming your focus)

3) Have something a little different than the everyday stuff because, of course, they can do that every day without going to the Azcon Gamers' Weekend. (You want them to say they can't wait until next year.)

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
Re: AzCon
January 05, 2008 02:08AM
Mark Wrote:
> Congratualtions on starting small. In my job, I
> have to go to a LOT of fairs, conventions and
> festivals. The successful ones almost always have
> one thing in common: "Uh, the first year we
> started, we only had, like, eleven people show up.
> Now look at it!"
>
> So I'm guessing that therein lies some sort of
> secret to success. This year, focus on everyone
> having a good time, and also doing things they
> can't necesarily do every day at home. So even
> though my advice was not sought, I thought I'd be
> annoying and give it anyway.
>
> 1) Start small. (your already doing that. do it
> right, and you'll increase a bit each year.)
>
> 2) Focus on everyone having a good time. (sounds
> obvious, but you're probably learning there are a
> ton of details and logistics that can end up
> becoming your focus)
>
> 3) Have something a little different than the
> everyday stuff because, of course, they can do
> that every day without going to the Azcon Gamers'
> Weekend. (You want them to say they can't wait
> until next year.)

Every little bit helps, Thanx Mark.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

January 05, 2008 02:38AM
You coming to the AzCon collin152?

Question for you collin152, since you live in Gilbert. Do you have any clue if Waterloo a.k.a. Fantacy Games either moved or closed down permanently? I always went there for pewter & paint supplies for my 25mm figurines collection.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

January 06, 2008 01:57PM
I was thinking about placing a Cap limit on how many can show up, I don't like that idea but I'm going off the fact that it's going to be at my home. So that way it'll only grows so big before my neighbors start raising an eyebrow. Kind of a First Come First Serves bases. I'm going on how many chairs and tables I have as a starter I have three large tables and about 15-18 chairs but I plan on getting a few more and can borrow some from my inlaws.

Since it's a very small Con, I plan on gifting those who show up with useful gaming items, like a fresh set of dice, possibly a Hero related T-shirt depending on my budget. We are having a Pot-Luck deal as well. I want to try and help my guest feel as welcomed as possible. The Rule of my home is to be as relaxed and laidback as possible. So dress comfortably. I have no clue who's GMing, but I think we need to pre-roll some characters so that way we can start as soon as everyone arrives and not spend the first day rolling characters up so use your best judgement when rolling up your characters at most Within Reason Please. If you have favorites already made, bring'em. I can GM or anyone else is welcome to as well. Some of my players may be showing up, one I do know for sure is going to show up and is excited about the AzCon.

The AzCon will be running all weekend. Friday: 7pm to Midnight+, Saturday: 12pm-Midnight+, Sunday: 12pm-7pm-Gamers are not required to stay until then, so don't feel bad if you need to jet out early, Real Life is far more important and it's understandable.

A good chance that Friday might be more of a chat night to get to know one another outside the forums. I'm sure we'll still do some gaming I just hope to make this rememberable for everyone in a good way.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

January 06, 2008 02:06PM
PM me for details. (My Home Address/Contact#)

Cap limit is 20.

I have 6 so far.

flam-ing.
-noun

-verb (used with object)

-Verb phrase

January 08, 2008 06:51PM
A chat night on Friday would be nice. Just have a chance to sit around, unwind and
relax...and of course, get acquainted. I still have to work Friday--unless I can get a
day off and sleep in--so I don't have to be up at 5-bloody-am! :P

Cheers,

Niniri

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.