Thor #4

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thor #4
December 16, 2007 05:48PM
How many have checked out Thor #4 yet? I must say it's continuing the build-up of events since his return quite well, with some coverage of things never before done that and left forgotten or ignored all this time, particularly his heritage on his mother's side. After all Thor's the son of Gaia, the goddess of the Earth and who likely predates Odin's existence, one of only a few primal gods still in existence yet it's always been his heritage through his father that's been considered. Seeing him reaching into his blood to access what talents he's inherited from his mother is quite nice and helping to round him out as well as expand on his full potential.

However as he was such a daddy's boy always seeking Odin's approval and neglecting his mother I hope we'll see him interacting more with Gaia for a change and his heritage on her side. She could teach him a great deal after all, expose him to mysteries long forgotten and even give him some aid in his quest to restore his other family.

I am curious though where we'll find the Enchantress and Loki, something that I think might work best if they give some hints to them in other titles since whatever humans that they merged with would have to be top notch and far more noticable and established than the other gods. I also wonder what happened to Red Norvell (other than being forgotten again), whether he's still around and alive or dead what's up with his hammer, since being identical to Thor's could conceivably empower someone else previously unknown with the power of Thor. It also leaves the question would Thor being in possession of both hammers have enhanced power or would the other hammer not really add to his mystical might any.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Thor #4
December 16, 2007 10:44PM
If Thor's mom is Gaia ("Mother Earth"), he's got quite a few half-brothers and half-sisters in other pantheons....
December 17, 2007 02:48AM
True, including Atum the God Eater, but no surprise there that a goddess who frequently represents fertility would be so fertile herself or so well sought-after. Would be interesting seeing a pantheon form just from her children.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 17, 2007 05:44AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True, including Atum the God Eater, but no
> surprise there that a goddess who frequently
> represents fertility would be so fertile herself
> or so well sought-after. Would be interesting
> seeing a pantheon form just from her children.

Uh... <a href="[en.wikipedia.org];
December 17, 2007 01:52PM
Well obviously he's not going to invite any of his mom's other relations to join, just his siblings. ;)

Hmmm, I hope with the return of the Warriors Three that we'll finally see Volstagg treated with more respect than he's been done with in the past. Too often he was treated as a joke by everyone, even other Asgardians, and a coward, things anathemy to someone from his culture. I'd like to see him getting more of a warrior's respect and more true reflection of who he is.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 01:53PM by Nightmask.
December 17, 2007 02:15PM
I wonder if Thor calls Cthon "uncle." hehehe

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 21, 2007 12:25PM
I like him showing the power he has from his Mother it is about Time.
December 21, 2007 12:54PM
Long past due really, although it definitely raises his power levels considerably above what we're already used to. Geoforce at at least Unearthly rank and who knows, perhaps he even has Plant Growth and/or Plant Control? I also wonder if Beta Ray Bill and Red Norvell have the same powers since they also have powers templated off of Thor.

-- Peter David

December 22, 2007 11:29AM
I would think / hope not, as Beta Ray Bill doesn't actually possess the power of Thor anymore, but rather a different Uru hammer made for him that he can "Shazam" into powered-form as necessary.

The Earth-Mother lineage should make Thor unique *again.*

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 22, 2007 12:24PM
From everything I remember of those events though Stormbreaker was given equal power to that of Mjolnir and Bill as a result was empowered equal to that of Thor in his new form, which would seem to carry that power from Gaea as well, even if he doesn't know it's there to access. Norvell also was given equal power to Thor (something Odin required for his attempt to break the cycle of Ragnarok), in fact it was power that contained the essense of Thor and not just from the identical copy of Mjolnir he's got. So if anything Norvell would in particular have every reason to access Thor's level of power with sufficient motivation or coaxing, especially since unlike Bill he's apparently like Thor and his natural form is the godly one he now has.

-- Peter David

December 22, 2007 01:38PM
Does the hammer have to be recharged every 24 hours and have trouble with things painted yellow too? ;)

I'm just stating a preference. I'd rather Thor (*the* Thor) to be unique *again.* If all the Thor-ites manifested earth deity powers, we're back to the Captain Marvel family.

-----
December 22, 2007 03:16PM
Thor will always be unique even if all those who partake of his powers manage to manifest his newer powers with appropriate motivation. At least they didn't suffer the downsizing Eric Masterson got when Thor was released, with weaker powers and killed off later on. I mean really; Norvell's running around, hale and hearty, with full powers and abilities of Thor even though he was just some horny twit lusting after Sif yet Masterson who was truely worthy of the hammer was given a pale knock-off mace and reduced powers and then killed.

-- Peter David

December 23, 2007 12:18AM
I think it takes away from Thor's "uniqueness" to have so many "horse-headed Thor, red-haired Thor, bearded Thor, 26th Century Thor, cloney Thor, Thor with a lisp..." running around.

Okay, maybe Thor with a lisp is too far.

I guess it's the same bile I get in my throat when they make a TV show from the 1980s into a movie.

And then make a sequel.

It's as if there's a ban on originality or something.

Thor with Earth power = original.

Thor Corps with Earth power = why not just ask me to stop buying comics?

-----

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.