So, where to even begin?

Posted by Russell 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
So, where to even begin?
December 01, 2007 01:28PM
I'm extremely interested in the Marvel RPG and all it's facets, but I've got zero previous RPG experience. I've got no idea where I'd start to learn the intricacies of this one... Lot of things to take in. Kind of overwhelming.

Eh. Anyone?
Re: So, where to even begin?
December 01, 2007 02:21PM
Private message sent.

TAG
Re: So, where to even begin?
December 01, 2007 03:34PM
Thanks!
At the beginning. An over simplified version of RPing
December 07, 2007 10:47PM
Well, I'm assuming that TAGs PM he sent you was an invitation to tea, a tirade about the unfair system of feudal land ownership or an offer to purchase a time share in Ft. Lauderdale. It's like I'm psychic, isn't it, Russell?

So I'll help you out. You obviously know how to surf the net, so one of us should let Russel read a Play By Post role playing game thread. I think that would show just how easy it is. Because while there are "game mechanics" involved, just like in chess, monolopoly and poker, with RPGs, the rules are not the most imortant part of the game; it's the "playing of a role" that is most important.

So if I said, "OK, Iron Man (let's assume that's you), some bad guys just robbed a bank, took a hostage and as you arrive on the scene, they peel out in their car and take off. What do you do?"

Well?

Hopefully, you'd take off after them. Or maybe check for injuries at the bank. But you'd describe your action. That is the basis of the game. All role playing games.

The one person describing the action for you is usually called something like: Game Master, Dungeon Master, Judge or Referee. You are the player. Iron Man (or whoever you decide to play or invent) is the player's "character" or Player Character or PC.

The mechanics come into play to add some realism and "fairness." They decide who gets to go first, how fast the car is going, how fast you can fly, whether you are able to hit a tire with a repulsar beam, whether a repulsar blast would damage a tire, all that stuff. But to most of us, that stuff is secondary. In some games, you don't even really have to have a full grasp, depending on how the Judge runs the game. He describes the world. You tell him what you're doing. He tells you what happens.

This has been true for all the RPGs I've played, whether I played a knight, a gunfighter, a spy or a super hero.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
Re: At the beginning. An over simplified version of RPing
December 08, 2007 02:29AM
Actually, I steered him to two of the best articles I've ever seen on the subject. You can find them here:

How to run RPG's
[www.gregstolze.com]

How to play RPG's
[www.gregstolze.com]

It's a good read for all of us.

TAG
Re: At the beginning. An over simplified version of RPing
December 08, 2007 04:35AM
Thanks for sharing!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
An over simplified version of RPing
December 10, 2007 10:50PM
I slaved over a hot keyboard all day to prepare a lovely post for you kids and you run off to read something at another site. Fine. I'll wrap my explanation up in tin foil, and put it in the fridge. If anyone wants to look at it some other time, fine, it'll be sitting there as leftovers. Cold, oversimplified leftoevers.

Mark

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
Re: An over simplified version of RPing
December 10, 2007 11:56PM
Well, you know... just because one person writes something on the subject doesn't make yours completely invalid.

We'd have to read it first. :D

TAG
Re: An over simplified version of RPing
December 13, 2007 12:42AM
Mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I slaved over a hot keyboard all day to prepare a
> lovely post for you kids and you run off to read
> something at another site. Fine. I'll wrap my
> explanation up in tin foil, and put it in the
> fridge. If anyone wants to look at it some other
> time, fine, it'll be sitting there as leftovers.
> Cold, oversimplified leftoevers.
>
>
> Mark

Mmmmm....Left overs...

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.