Weapon Damage Question

Posted by Swordman2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Weapon Damage Question
November 13, 2007 05:03PM
Greetings all:

I am curious as to what the damage figure for large-caliber pistols like the Desert Eagle in.44-magnum & .50-AE calibers, the S & W .500-magnum, and the Linebaugh revolvers in .475 and .500.
I am doing a character write-up, and he is going to be armed with one of these.

Thanks in advance:

Mike Garrity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2007 05:03PM by Swordman2.
Re: Weapon Damage Question
November 13, 2007 05:28PM
Well, the Player's and Weapons Locker has a normal pistol is Typical damage. So if he went up to a 357 Magnum, a 45 Magnum, or a 44 Magnum would do Good damage. Anything above that like a 500 Magnum would do Excellent. Desert Eagle would Good damage for a 45 auto-slot.

That's for straight ammo. If you were to get explosive shot, hollow-tipped, etc. then it's a different animal entirely. There's characters in the roster books that has the 45 at Good damage.

Basically, check out the damages in the Weapons Locker and even the Advanced book and you can generally find the damages if you use good judgement.

TAG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2007 05:33PM by ThatArtGuy.
November 30, 2007 10:23PM
IF it's going to be the guy's main offensive power, "shooting bad guys", then I don't see a problem with having one of those weapons do Excellent damage (with an explanation, like special ammo.)

I think I've seen the .50 Desert Eagle listed at Good or Excellent somewhere.

Anyhow, in my campaigns, (in my RPG world) guns hit a little harder than in the Weapons Locker. Then again, my world has better dodging and more bullet resistant heroes.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
December 01, 2007 10:28AM
The .50 caliber Desert Eagle does Remarkable damage. Machine guns (at least the ones the Reavers use) deal Incredible.

December 01, 2007 01:20PM
Using the Advanced Player's Book, a laser rifle does Rm damage. Gyro-Jet enhanced pistols do Ex damage. The Desert Eagle is a powerful pistol, but is still a regular hand gun. I stand by my statement of the Desert Eagle doing Good damage for a 45 auto-slot, with regular ammo.

Using this as a basis, a normal human (Ty in all stats) would only be able to take three shots *maximum* from a gun of that caliber. (More like two shots and a punch to the face. *LOL*) Of course, this is barring a red result followed by a failed Endurance check on the first two shots.

TAG
December 01, 2007 01:48PM
Stupid Edit Post timed out on me and I was looking under the wrong column. Rm for a laser rifle seemed too high for me.

Laser rifles do Ex damage. Gyro-Jet enhanced pistols do Gd damage. Again, I stand by the Desert Eagle doing Gd damage with regular ammo.

Flamethrowers do Rm damage. I don't see a hand gun doing Rm damage unless it was invented by the Wizard or Reed Richards.

TAG
December 01, 2007 02:52PM
Depending on how "gritty" you're running your campaign, nobody taking damage from a gunshot of any caliber is just going to shrug it off the next round... as he's bleeding, has a slug in him, or worse, has "little hole in front big hole in back" syndrome.
December 01, 2007 02:58PM
Or "JFK Magic Bullet" syndrome if it's *really* gritty.

TAG
December 01, 2007 03:16PM
It is theoretically possible that the US goverment could train a guy to be fast enough and accurate enough to fire a gun that upon exiting the barrel enters Hypertime ;)
December 01, 2007 06:06PM
There are the occasional few capable of that, and most RPGs or GMs allow that the PC group is in that cut above able to do it, although they won't escape the continuing damaged caused by both being shot and being physically active and adding to the damage by such moving about.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 04, 2007 09:30AM
Swordman2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greetings all:
>
> I am curious as to what the damage figure for
> large-caliber pistols like the Desert Eagle
> in.44-magnum & .50-AE calibers, the S & W
> .500-magnum, and the Linebaugh revolvers in .475
> and .500.
> I am doing a character write-up, and he is going
> to be armed with one of these.
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> Mike Garrity

IMO, Marvel never got weapons damage right. At times I wish they would use numbers instead of power ranks.

A small caliber hand gun should do at the very least Good damage ( 10 ).

A large caliber pistol should do excellent damage. ( 20 )

And a 50 Caliber Rifle that can go through steel plating should do Remarkable. ( 30 )

However, if you want to use Marvel rules, things will be toned down a bit.
December 04, 2007 09:49AM
I blame movies, which tends to portray guns as something not to be feared... something easily shrugged off. In real life, if you get shot in the torso, chances are you're going to die.

December 04, 2007 12:23PM
A gun at Excellent is still something to be feared. A typical human only has 24 Health. Two hits anywhere on the body and you're heading for a dirt nap. (Again, more like taking a shot and then hitting a wall from the kickback.) If you wanted to push it, you can still go for a Kill result at Shift 0 by using Karma, and of course, lose all of it.

The "Hollywood Factor" has nothing to do with this. There have been people who have literally lost a quarter of their skull and a third of their brain from a point-blank shotgun blast to the head that have lived to complete college. It's not unheard of.

The real problem here is "amping" stats (as I call it). So, a handgun does Rm damage? So the flamethrower that used to do Rm damage does Mn now? This is how we get people believing that Wolverine can do Cl1000 damage with his claws (which he can't).

This is a superhero game. Guns are deadly to the normal populace, not so much for people that can hit a brick wall and not even flinch.

TAG
December 04, 2007 12:27PM
ThatArtGuy Wrote:
> A gun at Excellent is still something to be
> feared. A typical human only has 24 Health. Two
> hits anywhere on the body and you're heading for a
> dirt nap. (Again, more like taking a shot and
> then hitting a wall from the kickback.) If you
> wanted to push it, you can still go for a Kill
> result at Shift 0 by using Karma, and of course,
> lose all of it.
>
> The "Hollywood Factor" has nothing to do with
> this. There have been people who have literally
> lost a quarter of their skull and a third of their
> brain from a point-blank shotgun blast to the head
> that have lived to complete college. It's not
> unheard of.
>
> The real problem here is "amping" stats (as I call
> it). So, a handgun does Rm damage? So the
> flamethrower that used to do Rm damage does Mn
> now? This is how we get people believing that
> Wolverine can do Cl1000 damage with his claws
> (which he can't).
>
> This is a superhero game. Guns are deadly to the
> normal populace, not so much for people that can
> hit a brick wall and not even flinch.
>
> TAG

Here's how I see it. General rule of thumb, Guns should do a power rank more damage then the game gives them.

In addition, Guns create internal damage over time, which the game never made up rules for.

Some hero's have natural body armor, super human strength/ stamina, or battle suit / weapon body armor.

This doesn't mean Joe blow with a gun would have a good chance to stop Spiderman or Captain America, but with the right ranged weapon, and sneak attack they could.
December 04, 2007 12:50PM
> Here's how I see it. General rule of thumb, Guns
> should do a power rank more damage then the game
> gives them.

The game is correct in my opinion. Look at the damage it does to a normal human. See the third reply on why.

> In addition, Guns create internal damage over
> time, which the game never made up rules for.

Agreed, but it isn't about secondary damage. It's about initial damage.

> Some hero's have natural body armor, super human
> strength/ stamina, or battle suit / weapon body
> armor.

Agreed, and all of those things are variable on different heroes/villains. One must make a damage call on a "typical" human being since they set the standard and are the control in the experiment.

> This doesn't mean Joe blow with a gun would have a
> good chance to stop Spiderman or Captain America,
> but with the right ranged weapon, and sneak attack
> they could.

I see what you're saying, but Joe Blow wouldn't have a chance on Spider-Man due to his spider-sense, and Cap has really good gut-instincts about such things. But for the sake of your debate (and mine) let's say they do hit. *They still have the same chance of a Kill result on them as they would against a normal human.* Cap and Spidey would just have a much better chance at revival.

TAG

(Edited due to me misreading the post initially.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 12:59PM by ThatArtGuy.
December 04, 2007 01:30PM
Thinking about it, this also brings into play the role of the Judge. It's the Judge's job to reinforce the lethality of guns. This can be done without changing the rules. Actually, a normal human who only has 4 Health after taking Ex damage from a handgun of that caliber. The human isn't in good shape, even if they to make an Endurance FEAT. The Judge should show that. The game gives -1CS to all FEATS for someone who has a cold. Now imagine what a bullet in someone's leg or chest would do.

On the flip side, if someone gets a kill result and the Judge tells their players, "John Doe just took an unknown sniper bullet to the head, opening his skull. John Doe hits the ground hard!" *BEFORE* rolling John's Endurance FEAT... well, they just painted themselves in a corner.

After more rumination, two rounds is only 12 seconds. Two shots from that gun and they're dead or at least unconscious. I think the damage made from one of those guns is dead on. (No pun intended.)

TAG

Edited for the pun thing. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 01:32PM by ThatArtGuy.
December 04, 2007 05:03PM
I have been reading this thread over and everyone in it has a valid point. Hollywood's view on what a handgun/weapon can do is very distorted. But what you have to keep in mind is game mechanics for the Marvel Advanced RPG. The material strength of a windshield on a standard vehicle in the real world is capable of stopping a 9mm round. So along with the material strength of the vehicle you can find a set damage for these weapons based on what the Marvel RPG was using for a base damage. Also keep in mind standard weapons versus military grade weapons. I would go with the following as a starting point for damage!

A small caliber handgun should do at the very least Typical (6) damage.

A standard caliber handgun should do at the very least Good (10) damage.

A large caliber pistol should do Excellent (20) damage.

And a 50 Caliber Sniper Rifle that can shot through steel plating should do Remarkable (30) damage.

Now this damage is with standard Ammo for each weapon type! The damage will be more with modified ammunition. Remember it only takes one (1) point of damage on a red killing feat for a character to die.B!)-

The Skycutter

December 07, 2007 11:13PM
ThatArtGuy Wrote:
>
> There have been people who have literally
> lost a quarter of their skull and a third of their
> brain from a point-blank shotgun blast to the head
> that have lived to complete college.

That's right, TAG. In fact, some people missing about a third of their brain have even gone on to run our country. :)

Anyhow, there are a couple of good threads on this subject (guns should do more damage -- no they shouldn't -- yes they should -- shouldn't) in the Revamp section of this forum.

Let's not forget plot devices, by the way. Our NPC, a hugely muscled former Marine with 70 Health Points can still be killed by one .45 round fired by a hit man if the judge decides that's how the game is going to get kicked off-- no Red role required. Or, he can wind up in the hospital in a coma, which isn't in "the rules," but helps start the mystery adventure.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
December 08, 2007 01:41AM
Some people have literally had half their brain's removed and managed to survive. Admittedly most of those had neural disorders where one half of the brain wasn't working right or a detriment to the other but it's still a good RL example that even considerable destruction of brain tissue isn't an automatic death sentence in all cases.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.