Body Resistance/True Invulnerability power write-ups

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Body Resistance/True Invulnerability power write-ups
October 17, 2007 02:44PM
True, even the Silver Surfer and the rest of Galactus' heralds aren't shown dealing with power at those levels. They should have TI in most cases though, especially the Surfer, although not at the Monstrous or Unearthly level, since even Remarkable TI would let them take a Shift Z hit for Incredible damage, a sensible level for such beings.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
October 17, 2007 02:48PM
A full out attack from Eternity would take Superman out in two hits (although generally speaking people don't attack the embodiment of life and time who must exist for the universe to exist), pretty much the same with the Celestials. Given they function at TI in the CL1000 range or higher they'd not even notice him unless he broke something of theirs.

Yes that'd be a house rule since it's certainly not in the books.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

October 18, 2007 06:27AM
Had David Martin read the existing rules regarding Resistance powers he would have known

1) that the hero is permitted a Red Power FEAT to ignore damage that exceeds the Resistance rank, and

2)Invulnerability is automatically a Class 1000 ranked power and is treated as a Resistance power, not a body armor. Therefore, if a character with Invulnerability is hit with a Class 5000 attack, he still gets a chance to resist by rolling a Red Class 1000 FEAT roll.

To sum up, if the Hulk writeup has him with Monstrous T.I. and he is hit with a Shift-X blast from one of the 13 attack modes that T.I. is proof against, then
Hulk gets to roll for a Red Monstrous FEAT to resist the damage as if it were at Monstrous or lower.

If the FEAT roll fails, Hulk takes (150 - 75) = 75 damage.

After years of tackling T.I., what I have come up with is that it is a Resistance power that gives the hero Invulnerability v. 13 forms of attack, but it does not include the benefit of automatically being ranked at Class 1000.
October 18, 2007 12:53PM
True Invulnerability and the upgraded Resistance power Invulnerability aren't the same thing, even if they do have some similarities. He offered up upgraded and modified versions of a lot more powers than damage resistance as well. While he omitted a few things (Immortality and the upgraded resistance version of Invulnerability) he did a great job overall.

So to distinguish such comprehensive protection from damage from Body Resistance and Armor Skin he called it True Invulnerability. It also makes it closer to the concept of Invulnerability, at least in regards to physical threats, by having it cost two powers to purchase and having it reduce damage by CS rather than by Rank Number.

-- Peter David

October 19, 2007 01:49PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a hypothetical question. So say Superman
> gets hit with a Class 1000 bolt from Darkseid, he
> takes the whole 1000 damage?

Yep. If Unearthly-TI-Guy gets hit by CL1000-Bolt-Generator-Guy, he takes 1000 points of damage.

No need to say it.... whats up with that?!?!? Cause Unearthly-Body-Resistence-Guy would only take 900 damage, right?

Well, right. It needs to be tweaked a bit, but there is no way that, say, Feeble TI should be able to cut a CL1000 attack in half, ie. to Shift Z.

At a glance, I'd give TI twice the protective value of BR vs. such attacks. So, by my tweak, Supes would take a "mere" 800 damamge from Darkseid's CL1000 attack.

Either way, 800 is ALOT of damage and might as well be the full 1000 as far as most, if not all, heroes are concerned. Afterall, Unearthly FASE only gives 400 health points, so....

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
X
True Invulnerability-Revised by The SKYCUTTER
October 27, 2007 05:52PM
Nightmask, I asked The SKYCUTTER in an email to redefine his version of True Invulnerability, and here it is! The Cutter's version of True Invulnerability is far better Nightmask!!:P(:!P)(tu)(:!D

[www.mediamax.com]# True Invulnerability-Revised PDF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2007 05:55PM by X.
October 27, 2007 05:57PM
Come on man... there's no need to open this can of worms again. Each party has said it's piece and while I do not agree with Nightmask, I respect the way he chooses to use TI in his games. Can we please let the issue drop? :(

X
Re: True Invulnerability-Revised by The SKYCUTTER
October 27, 2007 06:11PM
I missed up the link, lets try again with The Skycutter True Invulnerability PDF!!

[www.mediamax.com]# True Invulnerability-Revised by the Cutter
X
October 27, 2007 06:16PM
Punstarr, I agree with you! But the version of True Invulnerabiliy in the Ultimate Powers Book is so wrong. It makes a character just to powerful, the Cutter version of True Invulnerability just makes so much sense!! X(

[www.mediamax.com] True Invulnerability-Revised by The SKYCUTTER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2007 06:21PM by X.
October 27, 2007 06:33PM
X and Punstarr, The Skycutter version of True Invulnerability is the way to go with this power! I'm sorry Nightmask, the column shift for this power as the Ultimate powers book has it is really wrong!!

By the way did anyone else happen to see the updated version of the Ultimate Powers Book on the Cutter's site, AWESOME!!:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2007 06:34PM by Vigilante.
October 27, 2007 06:39PM
Cutter's write up on True Invulnerability is better then the one defined in the Ultimate Powers Book!:!)-D

Thanks for the info on Cutter's version of the Ultimate Powers Book there V!!:D
War
October 27, 2007 06:44PM
I agree with the Cutter's version of True Invulnerability also.X(

The SKYCUTTER, rocks on this Forum!!:.D
October 27, 2007 06:58PM
I'm also going to use the Cutter's version of True Invulnerability! Thanks for the information Vigilante, I downloaded the Cutter's version of the Ultimate Powers Book, its Excellent! From what I have seen the Cutter fixed alot of the Charts and Powers in his version of the Ultimate Powers Book including True Invulnerability!:D
October 27, 2007 07:04PM
Thank you Master Cutter for the time you have put into updating The Judges'/Players' books and now the Ultimate Powers Book as well! I now serve two Masters, The Skycutter, and Master TAG..:X
October 27, 2007 07:09PM
I agree with Ronin, the Cutter's version of True Invulnerability is the way to go. I would also like to thank The Skycutter for all his hard work updating these Marvel resource materials for us here at Classic Marvel!! :D

One Shot, One Kill, and Only One HITMAN!!
October 27, 2007 07:16PM
Thank you Cutter! I also enjoy your write ups an how you have updated these resource books for us as the Hitman stated! Your the Uber King, Cutter!!:.D
October 27, 2007 07:18PM
...odd. *shrugs*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2007 07:18PM by Punstarr.
October 27, 2007 07:22PM
I also like The Skycutter's version of True Invulnerability. I also downloaded his updated versions of the Judges'/Players' Books and his updated version of the Ultimate Powers Book! I would also like to thank the Cutter for taking the time to do a write up on Bizarro for me. Thank you SKYCUTTER!!!!:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2007 07:24PM by Highlander.
October 27, 2007 08:01PM
Sorry, I don't have a mediamax account and seems it requires you to get one in order to download stuff and I frankly have too many one-shot accounts like that floating around generating e-mail spam as it is to go creating yet another account.

Other than that as long as you keep in mind I go with the standard write-up as is here for my character sheets that include the power shouldn't be any confusion in that regard or problems discussing any of them.

-- Peter David

October 27, 2007 08:04PM
Then don't use it if you feel it's too powerful, and classify it alongside Power Creation or Reality Alteration as too powerful for PCs to have.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.