How powerful is Thor now?

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How powerful is Thor now?
September 19, 2007 09:22AM
From looking at the first few issues of the new Thor it seems to me he's more powerful than he was in the past. Not Odinpower level perhaps but he managed to manifest Asgard on Earth and levitate it and the ground it was on into the air. Seems like his gotten some serious revamping/upgrading.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: How powerful is Thor now?
September 19, 2007 10:23AM
I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say powerful enough to kick the Sentry's behind.

I can see a tussle coming between the 2 powerhouses.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
September 19, 2007 11:10AM
Well summoning asgard is probably related to his dimensional gate powers, and I don't think it's ever really been said how big of a gate he can open. Though getting Asgard to perpetually float off the ground is impressive.

His beatdown of Iron Man was rather quick. I've always felt Mjolnir should deal out SH X damage instead of the UN I've seen in many write ups. If Hercules' mace can do that much damage, why not the hammer?

I'd probably say that armor he's wearing now can withstand a little bit more than just Excellent damage. It's not like Iron Man even phased him physically. I'm thinking maybe somewhere along the lines of IN protection.

September 19, 2007 11:49AM
I wouldn't say he's any more powerful than before. I'd say it's more of a matter of him no longer holding back against anything... remember the debates before? What we saw in Thor #3 was Thor unleashing his fury on Iron Man to the extent that he would have against an Asgardian foe. Remember, he always held back in Midgard before.

September 19, 2007 06:49PM
I concur whole heartedly. He is no more powerful he is just using his powers more. Summoning Asgard was not an aspect of his dimensional powers. FOr that to be the case Asgard would have had to exist for it to be summoned from one dimension to the next. But there was no Asgard, he simply created it.

The fact of the matter is Thor is a magical creature and can do magic. I know this may shock you all but he is a god. I never really understood the point of his armor anyway. His body alone should withstand well more then EX punishment, much like Hulks does. Did Iron man even touch him at all so armor was pretty much meaningless anyway in that issue.
September 19, 2007 07:41PM
It seemed less like Thor was gating in Asgard as he was reconstructing it, tapping into the power of the storm for I think it was a week to fully manifest it. Either way that's a lot of power beyond what we've seen in the past. I've never considered Thor's hammer doing less than Shift-X damage save by desire, since the entire point of you picking up a lead pipe is it does more damage than your bare fist (unless you're a skilled boxer or somesuch). Strength +1CS damage is or at least was the rule for blunt items, up to the Material strength of the item, so Unearthly Strength + CL3000 material strength Hammer=Shift X damage. Not that Stark has anything that could handle that, even if he built True Adamantium armor the impact from the hammer would still do serious harm. I do love Thor's EMP power stunt, I don't remember him ever using one before, but he clearly was in the Shift-Y range with that considering you know Stark shields against such attacks and it'd take a massive pulse to override those defenses.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

September 19, 2007 07:54PM
Iron Man tagged him with a full repulsor blast (seems like the artists have started doing energy blasts like hoses completely washing over and enveloping a target anymore, did the same with Cyclops blasting the Hulk) and Thor just looked at him afterwards like nothing happened.

Just because Thor has considerable Body Resistance (really should be at least Incredible if not Amazing I agree) that's no reason to not wear armor, either for ornamental/ceremonial reasons or because it's granting even greater protection than your own super-human durability does. Given everything he's been through the armor can in a sense also symbolize his need to protect himself from the greater threats and pain of loss, although we haven't had the chance yet to get an idea what the Material Strength or protection raiting on his new armor is.

-- Peter David

September 19, 2007 08:27PM
I think Thor has a power upgrade he may also be employing his powers in ways that he always could but choose not to use.I do belive that some is that he is not holding back.
September 19, 2007 09:20PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Iron Man tagged him with a full repulsor blast
> (seems like the artists have started doing energy
> blasts like hoses completely washing over and
> enveloping a target anymore, did the same with
> Cyclops blasting the Hulk) and Thor just looked at
> him afterwards like nothing happened.
>

I think Thor just absorbed the energy. So the energy never really hit him
September 19, 2007 09:42PM
I don't know, looks to me like he's just standing there ignoring it, probably because his armor dealt with it all. He generally uses his hammer if he's actually absorbing an energy attack and we don't see that; we see the energy hitting and washing around him not stopping due to absorption. I think it was part of the 'need to show how powerful Thor really is' concept.

-- Peter David

September 20, 2007 11:02AM
Hi everyone!

I am new to conversation. If I can add my 2 cents (probably not worth that much), I agree that Thor is using powers differently, but wouldn't that mean that his stats have changed. He can do more, that his current stats don't show. I don't think we have seen the end of what Thor is now capable of. I also agree that Thor's new "armor" offers him more protection than any of the current stats show. In the end, Thor's stats need to be updated.

Anyone else like seeing Ironman having his butt handed to him?
September 20, 2007 11:14AM
Oh just loved seeing IM get his head handed to him, he didn't learn his lesson against the Hulk but I think he's learning his lesson thanks to Thor. The Hulk 'only' had vast strength and durability, nothing like the broad spectrum of power that's available to Thor.

-- Peter David

September 20, 2007 01:55PM
:.D:!)-D(td):D:DI Loved seeing IronMans Butt wipped:!)-D
September 23, 2007 02:00PM
I wasn't so hot on seeing IM's butt whipped, as I was in Thor asserting his divine might as he declared his neutrality.

I saw enough of IM getting his butt whipped in WWH. I felt bad for the guy.

I don't know why, but I can't help but like IM these days. I guess it seems to me that his "present", CW forward, ordeal is the greatest and the guy is really trying to be a hero for the regular folks. You gotta respect that.

Well, i gotta.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
September 23, 2007 02:45PM
I just can't see IM that way, not when he decides to treat some citizens as being less valued and having no rights compared to others. Plus consider his little speech going up against the Hulk when he mentioned Spider-man's oft-quoted guide in life, notice he says 'Someone once told me' rather than 'Spider-man once told me', because giving credit to Spider-man for that would undermine his painting of Spider-man as a 'traitor to the Cause'.

I did enjoy seeing Thor finally operating in a 'Asgard is gone, Midgard is still here, and as the only one left and keeper of the flame I will no longer hold back and leave people to think I am less than I am' mode though. His recreation of Asgard was amazing, and recreation I'm sure it was since while I haven't read anything since the Reigning I was fairly certain Asgard was obliterated during the final Ragnarok, but over a span of a week he channeled enough power to reconstruct the city from the ground up. I still can't believe IM was going 'well sure you _technically_ own the land but since when do the people I work for really care about laws that get in the way of what they want?'.

I think much of the conflict can really be represented by the last fight between Spider-man and Kingpin. Kingpin likes believe no one can be more powerful than he is, but in the end he's just a normal man and to even someone like Spider-man he's a joke posturing and putting on airs to how 'powerful' he is. So caught up in the power to hurt and kill the normal he can't abide anyone he can't control or beat to exist and put the lie to his pretenses of power. Same with those who now own IM and those working alongside him; they refuse to accept that anyone exists that they can't threaten and push around whenever they want and go into a panic trying to eliminate anyone that they can't, especially anyone who could expose their corruption and end it. But as Thor so clearly put it they are just mere mortals and even those in metal armor are still nothing to a god like him or the average superhuman.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.