Thor vs. Hercules

Posted by analyst 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thor vs. Hercules
September 14, 2007 11:46AM
Hello All,

i am new to the forum and would like to say hello to all. I have enjoyed this site for sometime. Anyways, as my introductory blog I would like to ask the forum who would win in a fight between Thor(without Mjolnir) and Hercules. various sites have them stated almost identically. i have often thought that they have underutilized and somewhat downplayed hercules in the marvel universe. he is clearly as powerful and capable as Thor. What do you all think?
Re: Thor vs. Hercules
September 14, 2007 05:44PM
Welcome...that's a heck of a 'run-on' sentence.....had to scroll to the
right for quite a while... :)

I don't know who'd win between those two. It's a toss up in my book...
(Just to stay on topic.. :) )

Regards,

Niniri

September 14, 2007 07:16PM
First of all, welcome to the forums!

As for Thor vs Hercules, it'd definitely be a close one if both were deprived of weapons. With Mjolnir, Thor would win a drawn out fight that'd have Don King wishing he could charge pay per view for it. Just hand to hand, (assuming both were fighting with everything they had as though Olympus/Asgard were on the line) the fight would likely last days... in the end though, I think Thor would prevail, because he comes from a culture with a much more prominent warrior aspect to it. Thor's spent more time fighting, while Hercules has spent more time just boozing, wenching and having a good time.

September 14, 2007 08:28PM
First off welcome to classic Marvel, and as a heads-up for not having formatting problems never use any kind of indenting or other special characters when posting, things like tabs cause it to parse everything incorrectly (learned that the hard way myself). So leave out tabs unless you simply space over and separate paragraphs with a blank line otherwise it'll merge them all into one super-large paragraph. I hope that proves helpful!

As far as Thor vs Hercules in a fight I'd place it on Thor, with or without weapons Thor just has the general edge even if in FASE they're virtually identical.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
September 15, 2007 08:34AM
With weapons and other powers, Thor wins.

In a pure mono y mono combat with no weapons or magic, I'll go with Hercules by a shade as he seems a shade stronger and the better wrestler in the comics I read.
Joe
Belt of Strength?
September 15, 2007 09:15AM
Is Thor's Strength Un on its own, or with the Belt of Strength? Should he have SX Strength with the Belt?
Re: Belt of Strength?
September 15, 2007 09:34AM
Thor's basic strength is Unearthly, raised to Shift X with the belt.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

September 15, 2007 11:45AM
in the end though, I think
> Thor would prevail, because he comes from a
> culture with a much more prominent warrior aspect
> to it.

More warrior culture then the greeks? You are familar with the spartan army. They were entire city state based upon war. As Herculeas was also a roman god (though mostly a greek) do you get more warlike then Rome? I mean they conquered most of the know world through war.

But back on topic. Thor hands down is a far more powerful god. His abilities in both classical myth and comcis have far outweighed Hercules. Even if we take away all of thors magical abilities and put it to a straight fightThor just has it.
September 15, 2007 12:39PM

More warrior culture then the greeks? You are familar with the spartan army. They were entire city state based upon war. As Herculeas was also a roman god (though mostly a greek) do you get more warlike then Rome? I mean they conquered most of the know world through war.

Yep, more warrior culture than the Greeks. I'm not saying the Greeks didn't have warrior aspects to their culture, but as a whole the Vikings had far more. Greek/Roman culture was first and formost about fine culture, the senate, luxury, wanton hedonism, and scholarly pursuits. They had warriors (very good warriors), but their society wasn't all about war and fighting.

The Romans and Greeks fought in between drinking and loving... the Vikings drank and loved in between fighting.

September 15, 2007 02:01PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Yep, more warrior culture than the Greeks. I'm
> not saying the Greeks didn't have warrior aspects
> to their culture, but as a whole the Vikings had
> far more.

Both Nordic and preHellenistic Greek culture were founded on the same Indo-European model... with an equal love of knowledge and wisdom, drinking and debauchery, hard work and sweat, and competativeness.

The primary difference in our attitudes toward these ancient cultures is that we get to see Greece from an expansive and proud insider pov, while our knowledge of ancient Nordic culture comes from a very narrow and often arrogant and dismissive outsiders pov.

So, a solid punch in the nose being a good way to get even the most arrogant persons attention, there is naturally a far greater emphasis placed on the martial dimensions of Nordic culture... which was hardly an armed camp, and which has amply demonstrated a love of art, poetry, wisdom/philosophy, free-rule and debate in open assemblies, etc. to the degree that their degree of affluence would allow, ie. not as much as the folk populating the Mediteranean basin.

Only a relativey few people in Nordic culture were actually full time warriors; though everyman was expected to be able to fight at the need of his tribe. Those that were professionals formed the warrior bands of legened, which were maintained and supported solely by local lords and kings.

There is no martial comparison of any general run of the mill Nordic society, save perhaps that of the ancient Heruli, with Sparta... which was like one huge, pervasive warrior band...an entire city-state devoted to the cultivation ofthe arts of war.

> The Romans and Greeks fought in between drinking
> and loving... the Vikings drank and loved in
> between fighting.

And trading, sailing, hunting, farming, herding, loving, dancing, conversing, smithing, crafting, fishing, weaving, chopping wood, carrying water, etc., etc., etc.

As for Thor vs. Herc in a straight up HTH match... flip a coin. They're a fairly even match, head to toe.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
September 15, 2007 03:16PM
I figured this thread would get your attention, PS. ;)

Only a relatively few people in Nordic culture were actually full time warriors; though everyman was expected to be able to fight at the need of his tribe.

But could the same be said of Greek culture?

Joe
September 15, 2007 03:44PM
Thank you.
September 15, 2007 04:29PM
And let us not forget other important forms of competition, aside from a good sparring match twixt Thor and Herc, namely carousing...

After a good bit of sparring and exercise, bring on the drinking competition, and the gorgeous Amazons and Valkyries :D

Quack, damn you...
September 15, 2007 07:34PM
No problem, glad to help out.

-- Peter David

September 15, 2007 08:36PM
This would be a great Fight,got to go with Thor in the End.
September 16, 2007 12:04AM
Punstarr Wrote:
> I figured this thread would get your attention,
> PS. ;)

Hehehe...

>
> But could the same be said of Greek culture?

I suppose that depends, first, on what "Age" of Greece, we are talking about, and then on what city-state.

The martial attitudes of the early Greeks were classic Indo-European, as reflected in the tales of Homer.

As Greek society soldified and they took full economic and cultural advantage of the locality fate alotted to them specialization began to advance at a much faster rate.The city-states evolved, but even as each hailed a different divine patron, they also specialized in particular elements of their foundation culture.

I'm not exactly sure how the majority of Greek city-states organized their military or defenses, or what they expected here of the working class, but Sparta in specific came to specialized in war and the cultural aesthetics of war.

So, its relative. And we could then bring the Imperialistic War Machines, a la the Persian Empire, that began to sprout up in the West/Greece with Alexander the Great.

The warrior element of Nordic culture, which also had it own peculiarities based on "Age" and specific locale, while perhaps much stronger than those of some, is far more moderate than those of others... Sparta for instance.

Cheers mate!

Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
September 16, 2007 10:18PM
Powersurge Wrote:
> Punstarr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I figured this thread would get your attention,
> > PS. ;)
>
> Hehehe...
>
> >
> > But could the same be said of Greek culture?
>
> I suppose that depends, first, on what "Age" of
> Greece, we are talking about, and then on what
> city-state.
>
> The martial attitudes of the early Greeks were
> classic Indo-European, as reflected in the tales
> of Homer.
>
> As Greek society soldified and they took full
> economic and cultural advantage of the locality
> fate alotted to them specialization began to
> advance at a much faster rate.The city-states
> evolved, but even as each hailed a different
> divine patron, they also specialized in particular
> elements of their foundation culture.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how the majority of Greek
> city-states organized their military or defenses,
> or what they expected here of the working class,
> but Sparta in specific came to specialized in war
> and the cultural aesthetics of war.
>
> So, its relative. And we could then bring the
> Imperialistic War Machines, a la the Persian
> Empire, that began to sprout up in the West/Greece
> with Alexander the Great.
>
> The warrior element of Nordic culture, which also
> had it own peculiarities based on "Age" and
> specific locale, while perhaps much stronger than
> those of some, is far more moderate than those of
> others... Sparta for instance.
>
> Cheers mate!

THis is actually an interesting thread for powersure and I. POwersurge is a nordic scholar or so I have gather and I am a classical scholar. When talking about the greeks and Romans its such a vast amount of time one has to becareful. Especially as each greek city state was very unquie. As for ROman make no mistake about it. THey were a war machine. yes, fine culture was there but first and formost they were a warmachine. IN fact the decline of Rome started when they decided to STOP warring and to maintain there borders and try to make peace with the Germanic people. But with out the unification of war they could not hold there boarders. But make no mistake the entire culture was based on war.

As to hercules specically in Greek myth he was not even a GOd. He was a Demi god made to be a God after his death. He was not amajor god by anymeans. THe same is not true for Thor. Also Hercules is a bit of an odddity in Greek myth, as each myth portrays him diiferently. He is something of a "culture" hero meaning he defines the best and worst characteristics of AGreek culture and was used to represent the people of that culture.
Thor vs. Hercules
September 18, 2007 02:42PM
Well I have to agree with Taarna on this one. If Thor was facing Hercules with weapons in the field of battle, then I give him the win. Thor is the superior warrior.

But, if the fight was without weapons, I give it to Hercules. He is the superior hand to hand fighter.

If fact, I think there is even a comic where they faced off and Thor says (or thinks) something to that effect. If I can remember which one it is, I'll post it.

My perspective on this subject is based off of the comics I have seen them in. If we are basing the argument purely on mythology, I give it to the Thunder God every time.

TLD
September 18, 2007 07:25PM
I have to think Thor would win either way, especially with how he is since his rebirth. He's not holding back for anyone anymore and going to make it clear to everyone what a god really is.

-- Peter David

September 21, 2007 02:01AM
Bah! Thor can drink Hercules under the table any day... *~I wonder if I should've read the whole thread...nah!!~* Yeah, under the table any day dammit! Then the two plastered warriors would wonder over to this thread and hoot at the healthy women! [www.classicmarvel.com]

flam-ing.
-noun

1. Computer Slang. an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message, as an e-mail or newsgroup post.
-verb (used without object)

2. Computer Slang. to send an angry, critical, or disparaging electronic message.
-verb (used with object)

3. Computer Slang. to insult or criticize angrily in an electronic message.
-Verb phrase

4. *Flaming, flamer* and *flamboyant* are potentially pejorative adjectives for a gay man or LGBT person whose behavior is reflected in a stereotypical flamboyancy, manner or style (see also gay culture and camp) but also refers to anyone seen as showy, outrageous, eccentric or unique stylistically

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 02:10AM by RAGNARoK.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.