Help on rules needed please

Posted by Jamescuk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: More help
August 08, 2007 01:43PM
That is correct, that was a home-brewed & modified version to give the OPTION
for fumbles and botches.

And while we're at it--here's a corrected version of my take on Ragnarok's chart
that's a bit easier on the eyes!

Hope this helps!

Niniri

Re: More help
August 08, 2007 06:30PM
Updated and better looking image...

Niniri

Help on defences powers
August 10, 2007 08:06PM
ok so on defensive powers like body armour and body resistance, it states that it effects energy and physical attacks, and on true invulnerability it says fire, heat, cold electricity, radiation, corrosive disease, poison, brute force, Sonics and kinetic bolts, but surly fire, electricity radiation, are all energies, and brute force and kinetic bolts is physical, i mean with this question would body resistance work for those i just mention, please help with the light confusion.
Re: Help on defences powers
August 10, 2007 10:11PM
There's a BIG argument/debate regarding Body Resistance and True Invulnerability, including what kind of protection they provide (although Body Resistance is really the straightforward rank number protection, whereas True Invulnerability reduces incoming damage by Column Shifts based on the rank of the power).

Some attacks are considered 'generic', so a generic energy attack is affected by Body Resistance, but some types of energy aren't affected, like Sonic attacks, or Radiation. True Invulnerability on the other hand is completely comprehensive and blocks everything that's not magical or psionic in origin. You might notice that some characters are listed as having Body Resistance/Body Armor with varying protection depending on the attack (Say Remarkable against Electricity but Incredible against Acid), others are across the board protected against most attacks of a particular nature (Incredible against Physical attacks).

Electricity is generally one of those that's separated out since most forms of resistance aren't configured to deal with electrical attacks (which makes sense, as most materials aren't electrical insulators and so requires a specific notation to include it). Vibration/Sonic attacks are also generally considered separate due to how they work in attacking a target so again require specific resistances to protect against them.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Help on rules needed please
August 15, 2007 04:58PM
Guys I'm being a pain, I have a few more things I need to clean up rules wise, I have a play that has coldshaping and cold generation, I do not understand how these powers work, as its not very clear in the description could any of you give me an example of what the player could do with out it being a powerstunt
August 16, 2007 11:16AM
Cold Generation can do a few things without it being a stunt. Namely Generate waves of cold for an energy style attack, or making Ice, like a freezer, but bigger.

Coldshaping which seems unnecessary with cold generation, but whatev, can you guessed it, make shapes. I'd say that the most simple shapes could be made without a stunt, such as a wall or a box. If the shape has a more tangible use, say as a club or sword, then it should be a stunt as the shape you're making needs to have proper weight, balance, and other aspects so it won't break instantly. Also if you wanted an ice armor that moved with you, then that should be a stunt as well.

August 16, 2007 12:25PM
Personally I think Coldshaping should be a power stunt of Cold Generation, not a separate power.

August 16, 2007 04:05PM
Well coldshaping would be what lets cold generation create those walls, iceramps, etc. Of course the easiest way of making it work is just list it as 'Coldshaping and Generation' and not have to worry about deciding which power gets which power stunts. Similar to how I did Frostfire's magical fire generation and control.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

August 17, 2007 04:22AM
Ok just one more thing to clear up how should i handle simultaneus action/targets, now should it be -1 CS per target, or should it be you can do up to your rank on the number of simultaneous action/targets table in the upb with out pentale, but any more means you get the -1 CS? if you need to do more then it should be like green feat to do one extra, yellow for two extra, and red feat to do 3 extra.

erm if you understand what i am trying to say

For example my player has an ability at Am(48) so thats 3 targets so would those 3 so is that the maxium they can target?
August 17, 2007 07:03AM
I've never been quite sure how to apply that multiple simultaneous actions table from the UPB myself, since I've never seen anything in the book or elsewhere describing how it's applied.

-- Peter David

August 18, 2007 12:06PM
Mr. Martin has said himself that the Simultaneous Actions chart was quickly made with no plan on how to implement it. If you find a way to use it, then you did well.

TAG
August 18, 2007 04:53PM
I think David said the chart was added to fill the book at the last minute and any text that should have gone with it wasn't there. That's why there is nothing saying how it should be used.
Hmmm.......questions.
August 18, 2007 06:30PM
While I am with you on the True Invulnerability thing, I think I have to question the Body Resistance stance.

In my own gaming I have always viewed the True Invulnerablity and Body Resistance as the same in terms of the things they protect against but different in terms of how the damage is reduced. The reason I feel that way is because in the UPB there is a Resistance to Energy Attacks, that gives a long list of energies it protects against. Then in the Body Resistance definition is states that it protects against physical and energy attacks. So I consider Body Resistance to be the same as if you had randomly rolled Resistance to Energy Attacks and Resistance to Physical Attacks. With the exception that Body Resistance includes epidermis regeneration at a tenfold rate. That regeneration in my mind only protects against damage to the outside of the body and would not allow any increase in healing rate for something like damage done by an ingested poison, for example.

Tell me more about your thoughts on the "generic" energies. I've considered this myself before but from a different angle. A character with the Energy Generation power in from the Player's Book would need to consider this topic.

Also I have taken note that many characters {such as Eternals} are listed as having resistance to Fire, Heat, Cold, ENERGY, Electricity, Radiation, etc. Strange.

But what is this energy and how can it be played with more detail in terms of attacking with it, and defending against it?

One of the problems is that when the game was made there was not enough detail put into these kinds of things. Much of the UPB can be misinterpreted just because of all the short definitions and typos. It would be sweet if we could figure out how to refine the rules of play for the game.

TLD
Re: Hmmm.......questions.
August 18, 2007 06:50PM
Well that's why it's given a generic listing for energy, for those poorly defined 'I have an energy blast power', rather than 'I have a radiation energy blast power' characters. The listing on the Eternals probably comes about in part due to that and just to make sure it's understood what flavors it does cover. So a generic listing means it's not covered under a specific energy resistance like radiation or electricity, but it also doesn't get any benefits against someone with a specific energy vulnerability.

-- Peter David

Re: Help on defences powers
August 25, 2007 07:37PM
Armor, Force Fields, and Resistances are each managed differtly.

Resistance provides the hero with Rank number protection AND the Resistance Rank Power FEAT roll v. the intensity of the attack.

Ergo, True Believers, if a hero has Incredible Resistiance v. a particular attack, then they avoid damage of equal rank, but get a RED FEAT ROLL V. an attack of greater rank.

For instance, Thing has Incredible Resistance v. Fire/Heat. If Human Torch decideds to let loose on Thing, his Unearthly attack will at least do 60 points of health damage, BUT, Thing has a Red power FEAT chance of totally avoiding ANY damage.

I don't make the rules; I just follow the ones that I agree with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2007 07:39PM by Secret Defender.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.