What should power inhibitors work on?

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Selective Inhibitor Fields
July 27, 2007 10:01PM
Since he controls the energy of molecular motion. The ability to generate cold is not really creating cold, it's removing energy, i.e. molecular motion, from atoms. As you remove kinetic energy the atoms slow down and effectively become colder. Theoretically you could do almost anything possible in the field of kinetic energy and motion if you could expand beyond simply removing energy to cool things.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
July 27, 2007 10:04PM
Rolls eyes and wanders outta this thread...

Niniri

July 27, 2007 10:41PM
That's... a stretch at best imho. You could say that about a lot of Marvel characters. Since all energy is somehow related, it's possible for many many characters to "control kinetic energy" in some way, in the same way Magneto is able to manipulate pretty much any kind of energy. As a more direct example, would this mean that Pyro and Johnny Storm are Omega level in power? What about that one villain with both fire and cold powers? I'm just saying, open that door for Bobby and it leaves it wide open for a ton of others. Eventually, will there be anyone left that -isn't- Omega level?

July 27, 2007 10:42PM
*blinks* Um, ok. :S

July 27, 2007 10:50PM
Don't blame me, I'n not the idiot who thinks everyone who's an X-man or ever been one is really an Omega-class super-mutant/godling. Can't be content with the characters powers where they are now, got to get caught up in a Dragonball Z escalation of powers and abilities because they're too lazy to work up decent stories and go for the increasing power route instead.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

Re: What should power inhibitors work on?
July 30, 2007 12:14PM
I've not seen "Bobby can do kinetic stuff" in any comic. Sounds like fanwank. I have seen comics hinting that he's not just generating cold, but can actually generate ice from nothing, even if there's no ambient moisture. His whole "can't really be killed as long as there's ice, water, or even water vapor around" is an Omega thing, too -- Omega-level Mutants are "ones with the ability (or potential) to transcend and exist beyond the boundaries of physical existence."

Getting back to that Crazy Canuck for a moment, the whole "Admantium blood poisoning" thing that hits Wolvie when his Healing Factor's down has always bugged me somewhat. Sure, heavy metals in the blood do cause all kinds of problems... but there shouldn't be any in Wolvie's blood, not if the Adamantium's just on his bones and is as indestructible a metal as we've been told. If the Adamantium is dissolving into his blood (and/or other body fluids) in any significant amounts, then the material is not only not impervious to solvents, it would have eroded significantly over the decades since Logan had the stuff implanted. It would, in fact, be a worse material for implanted medical devices than modern stainless steel.

Then again, an impervious metal like Adamantium could "poison" someone if assorted proteins adhere to it and denature into inactive and possible destructive forms which would have to be removed (either through natural filtration means -- i.e., urination -- or via more extreme forms like dialysis).
July 30, 2007 06:34PM
Iceman's powers as originally described (he does in fact mention some of it during his stay in the New Defenders), are both the ability to manipulate kinetic energy to create cold as well as an innate ability to manipulate water, which he automatically puts together in order to create ice. As a one-time power stunt he used his abilities to reduce the moisture content in a room to zero by holding one arm inside a hole and generating ice outside. This allowed him to drain the water from the room selectively.

The ability to manipulate kinetic energy comes in a variety of forms and can be far broader than most realize, but most mutations related to it are very selective in how they manipulate it. The ability to cause something to spontaneously combust or melt is or can be another aspect of manipulating kinetic energy, in this case agitating the atoms enough until the target combusts or melts.

As far as Wolverine goes I agree that you shouldn't have any of the metal being able to leech into his blood, although at the molecular level it might have protrusions that while the atoms don't come off could still agitate his cells, like you note. They've also had several clear mentions over the years to the fact that the metal doesn't interfere with his red or white blood cell production so without his powers the adamantium shouldn't cause him any problems with healing like a normal human being (although jamming those claws through the backs of his hands all the time would be especially agonizing without a healing factor to quickly fix the tissue).

-- Peter David

Genetic Base
July 30, 2007 09:48PM
I imagine it would be as fair as anything to assume that power inhibators "force genetic adherence" to a specfic fundamental genetic structure, such as defines Homo Sapiens, on beings that share that same species defining structure. It does this, perhaps, by putting dna foreign to it's programmed pattern "to sleep" for a time.

If thats the case then they would only function on the various superpowered offshoots of humanity, such as mutants or altered humans. But of course, power inhibators could be designed for just about any species, eg. Kree, Shi'ar, etc., provided the "genetic signature" for that species was known or could be discovered.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
July 31, 2007 05:05PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just because the Surfer is still flesh under his
> body coating doesn't mean it's still NORMAL flesh
> mind you. It was modified along with the rest of
> him but the coating was intended to specifically
> protect his body from harmful stuff including the
> stresses of superluminal flight. Considering we
> see characters in regular powered armor flying
> around surviving stuff that they technically
> shouldn't (you really think body armor even that
> from Iron Man would keep him from snapping his
> neck or suffering brain damage from ONE hit from
> the Hulk, let alone dozens?) it's not a stretch to
> think between getting the power cosmic and his
> body coating that the Silver Surfer can remain
> flesh under his silver shell.
>
> Namor's always been considered a mutant (early on
> he was contacted by Professor X after being
> detected by Cerebro), as his flight capabilities
> alone are a mutation (clearly neither his human
> father nor his atlantean mother had any flight
> capabilities for him to inherit) and his strength
> far exceeds that of what's considered natural to a
> pure-blooded atlantean. A power inhibitor
> would/should hinder him considerably, particularly
> on land.

Yeah I found it! Ok, my response is as such: You have already made my point about the flesh underneath the Silverish skin. The very fact that it could be flesh automatically causes one to ponder on its durability and speculate the reasons for the Silver coating. It inherently causes one to reconsider the Surfer and his vulnerabilities. Galactus made him without consideration to what others may come. More importantly, if he made the Surfer with the possibility of others to come it would be conceivable that those to come would have a vulnerability or be less powered. If the Surfer was made to be the one and only it would stand to reason that he would be made in the image of his maker. No flesh, energy consuming, cosmic powered manipulation at the molecular level and relatively immune to the harmful forces in the universe. Flesh in any form is suspect and even Iron Man is suspect. But the Surfer, I don't think it's good writing. It's like giving Optimus Prime lips! It's either genius or lunacy!! I'm leaning towards lunacy...8-)
July 31, 2007 05:24PM
Well originally Kirby intended for the Surfer to be just that, a unique creation of his Master Galactus with no mortal origins, and would be shown converting matter into energy to consume early one. One of the main reasons for his break with Marvel came from the retcon to give the Surfer a mortal existence before serving Galactus.

That being said it's clearly stated that for Norrin Radd that he was given his silvery _coating_ to protect his mortal flesh from the stresses and problems of his new existence. If he were solid completely through he wouldn't have a coating he'd be transformed into a silvery substance, which isn't how it's been described.

-- Peter David

July 31, 2007 05:26PM
Well who did the retcon? Was is Stan?

July 31, 2007 05:49PM
It might have been, I think it was one of several problems between the two that they didn't let go of for many years sadly.

-- Peter David

July 31, 2007 05:54PM
Hrm, that is a shame. Unfortunately, this is one of those retcons that I have a hard time having a problem with, since it's been established since before I was even born.

July 31, 2007 07:09PM
Well I can see why it bothered him, it make his exploration of humanity's inhumanity more poignant when he himself was effectively a created being with no mortal origins so had to explore things from outside. Turning him into an elevated mortal simply rediscovering his mortal emotions undercuts his original nature.

-- Peter David

August 01, 2007 01:29PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I can see why it bothered him, it make his
> exploration of humanity's inhumanity more poignant
> when he himself was effectively a created being
> with no mortal origins so had to explore things
> from outside. Turning him into an elevated mortal
> simply rediscovering his mortal emotions undercuts
> his original nature.

Nightmask, why is it that when we disagree, we never actually disagree? Why can't you just be wrong!? Lol! Well, either way I enjoy the exchange and your constant willingness to give credit where it is deserved despite the fact that the whole scenario I have listed is not presently enough to resolve the issue in question!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.