perscentage of mutans

Posted by Jamescuk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
perscentage of mutans
July 15, 2007 06:34AM
Does anyoine have any idea of the amount of mutans their are in the marvel univers, it suggest 1:1,000,000 for supers but whats mutans ratio
Re: perscentage of mutans
July 15, 2007 10:22AM
There was 199 for a bit, then I think half of em got wiped out. So about 100 in the whole world.

July 15, 2007 05:04PM
there are now somewhere around 197 mutants in the world.

July 15, 2007 06:34PM
Are you talking all mutants, or just those with super-powers? There'd be significantly more mutants who have no powers or trivial powers of no value (being able to change the color of your hair might be a great way to save on hair dye but isn't going to help you save the world) than those with something useful. Easily hundreds of thousands of mutants would exist (if you leave out the events of House of M and Scarlet Witch removing nearly all mutants from the planet) either way. Quite a few could have powers and never even realize it (immunity to disease, no matter how otherwise lethal, for example, or just having a knack for repairing machines).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
July 16, 2007 05:01AM
Even those Mutants with trivial powers were de-Mutant-ed by Scarlet Witch. There are now 198 (or less) Mutants, total.

I think Beast & Cyclops had a discussion about them at one point and said that, before Scarlet Witch went crazy and restructured everything, there had been millions of Mutants. When Cassandra Nova had her Super-Sentinels wipe out the populace of Genosha --which I believe was to be all- or mostly-Mutant -- it had a population of 16 million.
July 16, 2007 06:22AM
I could swear I heard that after an incident with Bishop and some other group, that number got halved.

July 16, 2007 08:19AM
In Civil War: X-Men half of the 198 left Xaviers to go off on their own, however, they didn't perish.

At this point, 2 of the 198 are dead, Mammomax and some unnammed mutant who was the focus of the Endangered Species one-shot.

Before house of M, and post the genocide of genosha, I believe there were something like 2 million mutants on the planet which i read somewhere but i can't recal specifically.

July 16, 2007 09:39AM
but what percentage of the population would say is it like 1 in 500,000?
July 16, 2007 09:46AM
there's somewhere near 5 billion people on the planet. if there were 2 million survivng mutants after the Genoshan genocide, that would make them, .0004% of the planetwide population, or 4 out of every ten thousand.

July 16, 2007 10:56AM
how many before the Genoshan genocide
July 16, 2007 11:12AM
Before, there were (2 mill + 16 mill killed = ) at least 18 million.

18 million out of 5 billion, or 0.36% of the populace. Or roughly 1 out of every 278.
July 16, 2007 11:12AM
Before the genoshan genocide there were probably about 18 million mutants on the planet, 16 million on Genosha itself.

Re: percentage of mutants
July 25, 2007 10:17PM
When I did the math, at least with your figures (2 million muties, er, sorry, mutants and 5 billion population) I came up with the same solution: 1 out of 2,500 people with some sort of mutation.

So I don't know if that's the correct calculation, but at least the math's right!

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
July 25, 2007 10:21PM
Oh, Doc. Please check your math.

"Nurse, give this patient 400 cc's of Thorazine. Ok, now, where was I. Oops, wait, nurse. I meant 4 cc's."

What kind of doctor are you, anyway?

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
July 30, 2007 12:39PM
An evil one. And one that knows that 1/100 = 0.01 = 1.00% (i.e., multiply the fraction by 100 to get the percentage).

18 million goes into 5 billion 277.78 times. (Or, 5,000,000,000 / 18,000,000 = 277.78).

1 / 277.78 = 0.0036 = 0.36%

Or, the shorter and more direct way -- 18,000,000 / 5,000,000,000 = 0.0036 = 0.36%

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.