Jubilee is back!!!!

Posted by Punstarr 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Jubilee is back!!!!
July 08, 2007 06:34PM
:DX(:DX(:D

Woohoo! I am in such rapture! Granted I haven't read the book in question (New Warriors #2), but freakin A! She's back and with powers (of sorts).

I just hope she's written true to her character and not as some ditzy valley girl like certain bad writers have written her. I don't want what happened to Dazzler happen to Jubilee.

Woohoo! She's back!!! :D

Re: Jubilee is back!!!!
July 09, 2007 08:27AM
Well no one wants what happened to Dazzler happening to anyone, talk about character degradation. *feh* Went from a warm, caring, friendly and all around nice girl to an egotistical, fan-worship demanding, nearly completely brain-dead shallow-headed idiot. I do so love that at least in the What-if? with Galactus she was preserved as that much better person for eternity.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
July 09, 2007 08:38AM
Jubes was only back for a couple panels, but thus far the New Warriors seem to be all depowered x-folk.

July 09, 2007 08:49AM
So does this mean she's gonna be a regular member of the book?

Oh and who are the other NW members?

July 09, 2007 09:35AM
Jubes is back. Now we know marvel is getting desparate.
July 09, 2007 09:37AM
Yeah i think Jubes is gonna be a star of the book. The other New Warriors are Night Thrasher [probably not the original], Wind Dancer from New X-Men Academy [depowered after House of M], Beak [from Morrison's run on New X-Men, depowered after House of M], and now Jubilee. We'll probably see more as time goes on.

July 09, 2007 09:38AM
She's worth a shot again, looks like she has different powers than fireworks, so she might get interesting.

July 09, 2007 09:38AM
Hey now.

July 09, 2007 09:39AM
Thanks Capo.

July 09, 2007 10:59AM
Well her original powers weren't fireworks, that was more how she ended up using them, she hadn't really learned to exploit them for much more.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

July 09, 2007 12:07PM
She wielded "explosive energy plasmoids", which actually had enormous destructive potential... many writers ignored this though, and wrote her powers as mere light. The White Queen theorized that she possessed the potential to detonate matter on a subatomic level.

July 09, 2007 12:22PM
I think her powers are going in a totally different direction now. I won't kill it for you though, i'll let you go get your copies of NW 1 & 2 and read for yourself.

July 09, 2007 12:48PM
But sadly instead of exploiting the potential that she had someone decided to randomly rewrite the character and the powers she had for what he felt would be 'cooler' for her to have.

-- Peter David

July 09, 2007 01:15PM
::sigh::

She was depowered after M Day, that was like almost 2 years ago now. To just 'give her her powers back' Would be /ignoring previously established continuity/ just to /do what the writer wanted of the character while ignoring another writer's work/.

July 09, 2007 01:59PM
Much like Professor X getting his powers back, just because apparently the M'kraan Crystal likes him? I swear it's being used like a Genie's Lamp to grant wishes.

-- Peter David

July 09, 2007 08:47PM
I think the point is that none of the really popular characters lost their powers unless it was a token show of exception, like Magneto. Jubilee has more than once gotten tossed aside by writers who frankly didn't like her, or thought she was at best a background character. Claremont himself is guilty of that attitude... and he created her! Her powers -did- have the potential to be really cool once fully developed, and I do feel that plot potential was wasted... for that I am saddened, because she truly is my favorite character.

That said, if they're going to go a new direction with her now, I just pray it's a cool direction that really makes her a strong and popular character in the long run. When Storm lost her powers, she focused more on becoming a badass without needing powers. She learned to shoot a gun and take down a gang of 5 guys by herself without so much as a gust of wind involved. I want to see her brave, strong and sure... I want to see her as a leader... I want to see her *dangerous*. But despite that, I don't want her personality changed too much. She's always been fun loving and sarcastic, and no reasonable amount of hardship should change that integral part of her.

July 10, 2007 08:22AM
I think Jubilee thus far has been consistent in her characterization in NW, although she's only been in a page or two thus far.

As far as the M Day depowerings, I wasn't much of a fan of how the fallout of House of M was handled, because it's true that popular mutants weren't at all in danger of losing their powers. I'm not surprised by that fact, but it's how it is. That said, I think if New Warriors is handled well, and not viewed in the editorial offices as a second tier team, but instead give them some significance, maybe a win or two over the Mighty Avengers, and some decent villains, then i think the entire NW lineup has a chance. I know Marvel is putting a lot of steam behind the Order as the Nuveau pro reg team. NW has the potential to be that as the anti reg team.

July 10, 2007 11:58AM
I dont mind how M day took part. And if I was a writer to explain away why popular characters till have powers is fairly simple. Scralett which cawsed the depowering so clearly if she decided that those close to her (which are also the popular characters) still have there powers it would not be a stretch.
July 10, 2007 01:00PM
Well, there's also that Strange and Emma Frost were working in concert to errect some protection before Wanda's effect went off, so that Strange and Emma would intrinsicly think to protect the X-Men et al, as well as some of their more notable villains being at the forefront of the 'ok who are the mutants at risk here' type thoughts as they tried to think of who they needed to protect in the about 3 or 4 seconds they had to react is feasible.

I just felt there would have been more impact if say, Ice Man, Professor X, and others actually stayed depowered. Ice Man after all was only depowered for like, an issue.

That said, I don't have an issue with former mutants getting new or different powers from other sources a la new warriors. I could reasonably see all of these people [especially since they're of the younger stripe] having that heroic intent, and now having something that can give them the chance to do right once again being a very strong pull. Also couple that with the fact that we can get to relearn all of these characters as they may have new or altered abilities as a nice way to see if characters i was only lukewarm about [Jubilee and Wind Dancer] might stir up some new appreciation. I always liked Beak though.

July 10, 2007 04:39PM
Except that Jubilee -would- have been one of the mutants formost on Emma's mind, since she saw her and the other Generation X'ers as her students, and after her former students the Hellions were murdered before her very eyes, she swore she'd -never- be lax in protecting her students again. In my opinion, she'd instinctively think to protect Jubes before she'd think about half the other X-Men.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.